Travel

Anyone here staying at Ontario "resorts"?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2020 8:06 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 4, 2009
6963 posts
2901 upvotes

Anyone here staying at Ontario "resorts"?

I get emails from Ontario Resorts and I occasionally plug dates into various properties just to see the cost and I'm always astounded at how expensive it is. For example, the lowest tier room at Fern Resort, for a Mon-Fri (4 night) stay, for 2 adults and 3 children (10 and under), was $4200. A thousand+ bucks a night for central Ontario. It includes 3 meals each, for Tues/Wed/Thurs, but only dinner for Mon and breakfast Fri.

And before anyone says it's because of the covid captive audience we've become, this has been the situation for the past several years since I started getting the emails.

Who in the hell is staying at these places and spending this kind of money for the privilege?!
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
24 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 4, 2009
6963 posts
2901 upvotes
That's interesting, a down vote with no comment.

Thanks for the input!
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6555 posts
3683 upvotes
Toronto
I honestly had no idea these places (still) existed in Ontario. It sounds like it time-travelled out of Dirty Dancing.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6947 posts
6068 upvotes
Toukolou wrote: I get emails from Ontario Resorts and I occasionally plug dates into various properties just to see the cost and I'm always astounded at how expensive it is. For example, the lowest tier room at Fern Resort, for a Mon-Fri (4 night) stay, for 2 adults and 3 children (10 and under), was $4200. A thousand+ bucks a night for central Ontario. It includes 3 meals each, for Tues/Wed/Thurs, but only dinner for Mon and breakfast Fri.

And before anyone says it's because of the covid captive audience we've become, this has been the situation for the past several years since I started getting the emails.

Who in the hell is staying at these places and spending this kind of money for the privilege?!
This is real cost of buying Canadian with Canadian costs and that they're only really making good money 4 months of the year

These resorts also host conferences/team building as well as income stream

I went to fern as a kid and once or twice for corporate retreat
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22290 posts
20910 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
There’s a long standing tradition of well off Cdns & Americans going to the mountains / lakes / ocean to get out of the oppressive city heat in July & August (goes back to the Gilded Age for example). Business Owners, and professionals ... would take some vacation with their family to these nearby resorts... close enough to get back to the city if needed.

In Ontario ... these historical areas, and longstanding resorts would be found in Muskoka, Algonquin.
In Quebec ... they are in The Laurentians and the Eastern Townships.
All relatively close to Toronto or Montreal.

In the states ... they are found in The Adirondacks, 1000 Islands, Lake Champlain, Catskills, and Long Island (NY State)
In the Green Mountains (VT), White Mountains (NH), The Berkshire’s, Cape Cod & the islands (MA), Newport (RI)

Lol, if you think the Cdn Family Resorts are expensive ... check out any of these above destinations in the States
Manatus wrote: I honestly had no idea these places (still) existed in Ontario. It sounds like it time-travelled out of Dirty Dancing.
Lol, ya very much similar.
Basically an All Inclusive Resort / Camp for an entire family
With stress on activities, sports, and water sports.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1994 posts
876 upvotes
HK
I'm headed to Muskoka this week. It's pricier than usual, however options are limited this year. As well, this place is sold out. The market/demand is there to justify the prices.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1621 posts
646 upvotes
Toronto
Toukolou wrote:
Who in the hell is staying at these places and spending this kind of money for the privilege?!
Ppl with $$$
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 10, 2011
2119 posts
636 upvotes
Etobicoke
Back in the 90s I stayed for a weekend in Wasaga for $250 a night in July. Having just moved from Europe I found the price just nuts. But seeing that Ontario is the playground of the rich, I've learned to spend my hard earned money in other places.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6947 posts
6068 upvotes
durrsak wrote: Back in the 90s I stayed for a weekend in Wasaga for $250 a night in July. Having just moved from Europe I found the price just nuts. But seeing that Ontario is the playground of the rich, I've learned to spend my hard earned money in other places.
Ontario resorts are very cheap compared to many places in Europe. Did you come from Eastern Europe by chance?

Western and northern Europe are all quite pricey compared to Ontario resorts
Member
Nov 26, 2012
431 posts
468 upvotes
Toronto
My thing isn't the price of these resorts in itself but the price in relation to its dated facilities and decor. Most look like they haven't been refreshed since 1989. I don't mean it should look like an ikea/scandi blonde wood airport hotel but a lot of the similar places in the US seem much better maintained while keeping that cabin/resort feel.

Maybe the food and activities are top-notch and compensate...I don't know...
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 6, 2002
10121 posts
3291 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Ontario resorts are very cheap compared to many places in Europe. Did you come from Eastern Europe by chance?

Western and northern Europe are all quite pricey compared to Ontario resorts
He’s probably talking about paying $250 for slimey motels that wasaga is famous for. Such motels would likely be condemned in western or Northern Europe.

These same $250 hotels are drug dens in the off season
Autocorrect sucks
Sr. Member
Apr 4, 2017
587 posts
463 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Ontario resorts are very cheap compared to many places in Europe. Did you come from Eastern Europe by chance?

Western and northern Europe are all quite pricey compared to Ontario resorts
However the resorts are far nicer than the Ontario Resorts.

Stayed a few night at Deerhurst a few years ago, the level of quality of the resort and decor, vs the prices charged were very disappointing.
It's a rip off.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6947 posts
6068 upvotes
realtycoon wrote: However the resorts are far nicer than the Ontario Resorts.

Stayed a few night at Deerhurst a few years ago, the level of quality of the resort and decor, vs the prices charged were very disappointing.
It's a rip off.
Depends where, the nicer western European resorts are multiple times more expensive than ones like deerhurst

For pricing similar to deerhurst, you're getting a step up from a hostel in the resort destinations in Europe like those in France or Spain or Italy.

I've been to resorts in France and the nicer ones comparable in terms of decor and amenities to say the nicer ones Canadians goto in Mexico are well north of 1k a night before food or anything
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
14734 posts
19612 upvotes
Vancouver
Toukolou wrote: I get emails from Ontario Resorts and I occasionally plug dates into various properties just to see the cost and I'm always astounded at how expensive it is. For example, the lowest tier room at Fern Resort, for a Mon-Fri (4 night) stay, for 2 adults and 3 children (10 and under), was $4200. A thousand+ bucks a night for central Ontario. It includes 3 meals each, for Tues/Wed/Thurs, but only dinner for Mon and breakfast Fri.
Holy that's expensive
We stay at a similar-sounding place near Seattle and for a family of 4 it's US $2,200 for SEVEN nights including all meals, which are excellent. We opt for the cheap rooms with shared bathroom down the hall, but if we went for the deluxe room with private bath it'd be US $2,950, still way less than the OP's numbers for the Ontario resort
.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 4, 2009
6963 posts
2901 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: This is real cost of buying Canadian with Canadian costs and that they're only really making good money 4 months of the year

These resorts also host conferences/team building as well as income stream

I went to fern as a kid and once or twice for corporate retreat
PointsHubby wrote: There’s a long standing tradition of well off Cdns & Americans going to the mountains / lakes / ocean to get out of the oppressive city heat in July & August (goes back to the Gilded Age for example). Business Owners, and professionals ... would take some vacation with their family to these nearby resorts... close enough to get back to the city if needed.

In Ontario ... these historical areas, and longstanding resorts would be found in Muskoka, Algonquin.
In Quebec ... they are in The Laurentians and the Eastern Townships.
All relatively close to Toronto or Montreal.

In the states ... they are found in The Adirondacks, 1000 Islands, Lake Champlain, Catskills, and Long Island (NY State)
In the Green Mountains (VT), White Mountains (NH), The Berkshire’s, Cape Cod & the islands (MA), Newport (RI)

Lol, if you think the Cdn Family Resorts are expensive ... check out any of these above destinations in the States
Lol, ya very much similar.
Basically an All Inclusive Resort / Camp for an entire family
With stress on activities, sports, and water sports.
niche54 wrote: My thing isn't the price of these resorts in itself but the price in relation to its dated facilities and decor. Most look like they haven't been refreshed since 1989. I don't mean it should look like an ikea/scandi blonde wood airport hotel but a lot of the similar places in the US seem much better maintained while keeping that cabin/resort feel.

Maybe the food and activities are top-notch and compensate...I don't know...
Agreed, that's the real issue I have with these places, they're ridiculous. As for the activities, have a look at the site, it's nothing special.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 19, 2004
2065 posts
492 upvotes
Mississauga
unreal. $4K for a 5 night stay? is flights and booze included? Get a grip folks....
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 4, 2009
6963 posts
2901 upvotes
guessguy wrote: unreal. $4K for a 5 night stay? is flights and booze included? Get a grip folks....
It was $4200 for a 4 night stay!

This was room type. How does that look for 1000 bucks a night?

Image
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Jr. Member
May 4, 2007
145 posts
37 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Holy that's expensive
We stay at a similar-sounding place near Seattle and for a family of 4 it's US $2,200 for SEVEN nights including all meals, which are excellent. We opt for the cheap rooms with shared bathroom down the hall, but if we went for the deluxe room with private bath it'd be US $2,950, still way less than the OP's numbers for the Ontario resort
.
Would you mind telling me where this?

Could be interested in the post COVID era.
Sr. Member
Mar 8, 2004
771 posts
601 upvotes
Kanata
Toukolou wrote: It was $4200 for a 4 night stay!

This was room type. How does that look for 1000 bucks a night?

Image
Wow. I would never pay that much. Don't think I've ever spent $1000 in one day even one time on vacation.

Maybe it's special times and I'm not willing to spend excessively just to have any vacation.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 18, 2007
4618 posts
539 upvotes
Toukolou wrote: It was $4200 for a 4 night stay!

This was room type. How does that look for 1000 bucks a night?

Image
Not hideous by any means. I mean looks ok, but $1k/night...I have some prime swampland in Florida you might be interested in... Winking Face

That's insane though. I'd save my $$$ AND still include a trip to Rockies...

How is this resort any different from a hotel?
I mean, even if you had to pay for everything separately, I don't see how could balloon that high unless you went nuts on the wine/alcohol...

Top