Travel

Anyone here used their PC Financial debit card in Europe?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 1st, 2012 4:33 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18978 posts
453 upvotes
YYZ

Anyone here used their PC Financial debit card in Europe?

I'm heading back to Europe next week and I'm debating whether I should bring cash with me or use my card for ATM withdrawal in Western Europe (going to several countries). Does PC Financial charges any additional fees or give me a bad exchange rate when I'm abroad?
7 replies
Dec 27, 2008
174 posts
4 upvotes
i doubt PC debit card can be used outside of canada...it doesnt even have the PLUS logo?? :|
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
3521 posts
1218 upvotes
Halifax
From their website: http://www.banking.pcfinancial.ca/a/hel ... nking.page

[QUOTE]Can I withdraw money outside of Canada?
You can withdraw money from most bank machines outside of Canada. Charges for withdrawals through these bank machines are currently $3.00 per withdrawal. Some bank machines may levy additional surcharges. In addition, you will be charged the amount we are required to pay to buy the foreign currency, plus a fixed rate charge of 2.5% of the converted amount.
You can also withdraw money from any other bank machine displaying the Interac® or PLUS* sign.[/QUOTE]

2.5% is what nearly all Canadian credit cards and bank cards charge for foreign currency transaction.

And from what I've been told, some PC financial cards do have the PLUS logo. But whether they have the logo or not, all of them are fine being used outside of the country.
Mar 19, 2008
473 posts
22 upvotes
I just wanted to confirm that the PC financial card can be used in europe. I have used mine in Germany and Italy. In Italy, it did not work at every ATM I tried but eventually I was able to find one that did.
Dec 23, 2004
441 posts
7 upvotes
VI
I used mine in Ireland for Euros, and in England, Scotland, and Wales for Pounds. In the UK, I used it at Barclays without a problem for doing withdrawals from a bank machine. Can't remember the bank name in Ireland. And yes, 2.5 percent plus the fee... I thought I paid at least $5 for the fee, but it was 3 years ago.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18978 posts
453 upvotes
YYZ
JumpinBug wrote:
Mar 31st, 2012 8:24 pm
I used mine in Ireland for Euros, and in England, Scotland, and Wales for Pounds. In the UK, I used it at Barclays without a problem for doing withdrawals from a bank machine. Can't remember the bank name in Ireland. And yes, 2.5 percent plus the fee... I thought I paid at least $5 for the fee, but it was 3 years ago.

Damn, I guess I'll just bring cash then. I'm not paying a fee each time I want to use my debit card.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33542 posts
7539 upvotes
Ottawa
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Apr 1st, 2012 3:04 am
Damn, I guess I'll just bring cash then. I'm not paying a fee each time I want to use my debit card.
Saving $5 by taking cash is the greater of the chances of carrying a ton of cash around. I would rather pay a fee than take a chance of losing a pocket full of cash.
I was back in Italy not long ago and never had a problem but, my friend, who had a card and a 5 digit PIN, could not get any cash, even from a teller in the bank. Just make sure you have a 4 digit PIN.
The fact that you said you are going back....again....I would think you are already aware of many of the issues over there.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Dec 23, 2004
441 posts
7 upvotes
VI
I don't consider the fee that big of a deal. I always withdrew close to my maximum, which was something over 200 pounds. Any big stuff (room, really nice jewelry, play tickets) I put onto my credit card. I'm going to do the same this summer, although room and most tickets are already paid in full.