Cell Phones

Anyone here using an iPhone and Android devices at the same time?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2018 11:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
20474 posts
951 upvotes
Shanghai, China

Anyone here using an iPhone and Android devices at the same time?

Just wondering if it's possible to keep SMS and call logs in sync as I switch simcards between my two phones. How do you guys manage this?

Thanks.
25 replies
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14440 posts
12314 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Android should retain your call and SMS history after a sim swap. I know Google does SMS verification, but doesn't tie in your number as part of a Google ID the way Apple does AFAIK. Not sure about what'd happen on an iPhone.

On Android, it's easier to back that stuff up at a device level (plethora of apps to backup sms, my guess is call history should be easy to backup, too). No idea for iPhone and it's walled garden of Eden.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9927 posts
1370 upvotes
I carry both an iphone and an android but I dont have a need nor what to sync my call and sms history between the 2 phones. What use case is this? I only know how to do this in the US ... and its through google voice.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14440 posts
12314 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Gee wrote: It’s not Eden, it’s Alcatraz.
+1

I prefer the garden of Eden still, where the original sin roots from the Apple. :lol:
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19782 posts
9223 upvotes
Oakville
There are apps that will let you back up SMS and call log, and restore back, on the Android side but they used to require root to fully work properly. Never tried doing that kind of restore on the iPhone side that wasn't directly from an iCloud backup, though, so not sure how that would work in the iPhone side.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20663 posts
8832 upvotes
Toronto
wearysky wrote: There are apps that will let you back up SMS and call log, and restore back, on the Android side but they used to require root to fully work properly. Never tried doing that kind of restore on the iPhone side that wasn't directly from an iCloud backup, though, so not sure how that would work in the iPhone side.
There are android apps that do sms and call log backups without the root. Backup can be saved locally or cloud storage. I used this app called SMS backup & restore recently. Worked as advertised.
Nov 24, 2016
166 posts
147 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
I use an app called mysms that you install on android. On iPhone, you can see the texts and missed calls and send texts from your iPhone through the android using the app. Also works on desktop too.
Current device: Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G
On Freedom Mobile - $45/22GB + $0 Google Pixel 3
Nov 26, 2013
750 posts
662 upvotes
Winnipeg
jdayellow wrote: I use an app called mysms that you install on android. On iPhone, you can see the texts and missed calls and send texts from your iPhone through the android using the app. Also works on desktop too.
My wife does this because she has an Apple Watch. She kept her old iPhone and it's always at home, connected to WIFI. She'll have her Google Pixel 2 XL with her always, so texts push from there to the rest of the iOS devices. It's not very intuitive, but at least she didn't have to get rid of her Apple Watch. The downside is that she has to keep an iPhone idle that otherwise could have been sold on Kijiji.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
20474 posts
951 upvotes
Shanghai, China
titaniumtux wrote: Android should retain your call and SMS history after a sim swap. I know Google does SMS verification, but doesn't tie in your number as part of a Google ID the way Apple does AFAIK. Not sure about what'd happen on an iPhone.

On Android, it's easier to back that stuff up at a device level (plethora of apps to backup sms, my guess is call history should be easy to backup, too). No idea for iPhone and it's walled garden of Eden.
Are you saying that if I switch sim card from my S8 to a future Essential, it'll move my call history and SMS over automatically? I don't even need to back it up?

I don't really need to back up all of the other stuff. Whatever random photo I take on my Android devices, it's automatically backed up by Google Photos. All of my emails are in the cloud.

What app do you recommend to back up SMS and call history and keep it in sync between all of my Android devices?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
20474 posts
951 upvotes
Shanghai, China
taro-chan wrote: I carry both an iphone and an android but I dont have a need nor what to sync my call and sms history between the 2 phones. What use case is this? I only know how to do this in the US ... and its through google voice.
With regards to call history, it's not a big deal, but it's nice to have everything all in one place. As for SMS, it's hard to keep track of a conversation if some messages are on my iPhone and the others are on my S8.

My iPhone is really my main phone and I made that decision because I already invested in Apple's ecosystem. I do have an iPad and a MacBook. I'm starting to reconsider and just make my S8 my main device since it's much easier to backup these information on Android than iOS. I probably use my iPhone more like an iPod Touch.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
20474 posts
951 upvotes
Shanghai, China
wearysky wrote: There are apps that will let you back up SMS and call log, and restore back, on the Android side but they used to require root to fully work properly. Never tried doing that kind of restore on the iPhone side that wasn't directly from an iCloud backup, though, so not sure how that would work in the iPhone side.
Why do I have to root? Is it possible to root both the Essential and the S8 with the latest updates? Which app do you recommend to backup SMS and call logs?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4741 posts
2098 upvotes
GTA
Sgt_Strider wrote: Are you saying that if I switch sim card from my S8 to a future Essential, it'll move my call history and SMS over automatically? I don't even need to back it up?

I don't really need to back up all of the other stuff. Whatever random photo I take on my Android devices, it's automatically backed up by Google Photos. All of my emails are in the cloud.

What app do you recommend to back up SMS and call history and keep it in sync between all of my Android devices?
No, switching sim cards won't move call history and SMS over. I don't think people are understanding what you were trying to do. Most of the replies here seem to be about making back ups.

I can't think of a way for you to sync between iOS and Android when a lot of iPhone messages are probably iMessage related.

Now if it was Android to Android, there's an SMS app called Pulse SMS. If you pay for the full version, it basically lets you send SMS/MMS from a bunch of different platforms and it works by syncing the messages through their servers (supposedly encrypted). I can't say I've used it myself though but it's a fairly popular app.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
20474 posts
951 upvotes
Shanghai, China
Dave98 wrote: No, switching sim cards won't move call history and SMS over. I don't think people are understanding what you were trying to do. Most of the replies here seem to be about making back ups.

I can't think of a way for you to seamlessly keep all these things in sync between devices, especially between iOS and Android when a lot of iPhone messages are probably iMessage related.
What about moving call history between Android devices?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4741 posts
2098 upvotes
GTA
Sgt_Strider wrote: What about moving call history between Android devices?
See my edit above for SMS. I can't think of a way to sync call history unless you use a Pixel phone. I know call history is backed up to your Google accounts. But that's more of a Pixel phone thing than an Android thing
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
20474 posts
951 upvotes
Shanghai, China
Dave98 wrote: See my edit above for SMS. I can't think of a way to sync call history unless you use a Pixel phone. I know call history is backed up to your Google accounts. But that's more of a Pixel phone thing than an Android thing
Not sure if that is very secure or not. So there are no apps that will backup SMS on one phone and then move it over to another phone to keep everything in sync?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4741 posts
2098 upvotes
GTA
Sgt_Strider wrote: Not sure if that is very secure or not. So there are no apps that will backup SMS on one phone and then move it over to another phone to keep everything in sync?
Sync apps like Resilio Sync or Syncthing might work for this situation. You'd have to determine what file(s) to sync. This might work.

Other apps being recommended in this thread involve backing up and then manually restoring. I don't think that's what you're trying to achieve if you're constantly switching phones.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
20474 posts
951 upvotes
Shanghai, China
Dave98 wrote: Sync apps like Resilio Sync or Syncthing might work for this situation. You'd have to determine what file(s) to sync. This might work.

Other apps being recommended in this thread involve backing up and then manually restoring. I don't think that's what you're trying to achieve if you're constantly switching phones.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I can't seem to find anything that will do it automatically. I guess if I have to do it manually, even once a week might not be a bad idea. However, will the SMS backup apps be smart enough to know how to sort the messages (say by time stamp?)?