Cell Phones

Anyone here using a tempered glass screen protector on their iPhone 7 Plus?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2016 10:58 pm
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23201 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore

Anyone here using a tempered glass screen protector on their iPhone 7 Plus?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01H2E ... 6GUOHXBIHM

I'm thinking of buying this Spigen tempered glass screen protector for my IP7+. What do you guys think? Anyone here using this screen protector?

With respect to the installation process, is it any different from installing a film base screen protector? I have never used a tempered glass screen protector before. Are bubbles an issue and if so, is it easy to get rid of it?

Thanks!
12 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
530 upvotes
I got a tempered glass protector for my Moto E this summer, I just a got a cheap Ebay one, it's great. I had never installed one before, but it was easy. Just make sure the screen is clean before you put the glass on. Once you put it on it starts to grip onto the glass by itself. Very few bubbles remained and they were easy to press out.
Sep 30, 2012
116 posts
28 upvotes
Vancouver
I am using this exact one for my iP7+. I have had cheap eBay ones for my other phones in the past, but this Spigen one is the best one yet. There is Oleophobic coating on this one and it feels smoother than other cheap ones. It is easier to install than film protectors. Bubble is rarely an issue, as long as your screen is clean. It is easy to get rid of bubbles as you install.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
Agreed. The Spigen ones are better quality than the cheap eBay ones. Better oleophobic coating and better smoother feel. Also you're sure to get the proper cutouts. The 7 Plus is different from the 6 series Plus. Some of the cheap eBay ones aren't really appropriate for the 7 Plus so you have to be careful since some sellers are just 6 Plus versions. Plus the Spigens come with better cleaning wipes etc.

I've owned multiple different 7 Plus tempered glass protectors and currently use the Spigen, which is my preferred one.

Any dust will cause a bubble but overall there is much less chance of bubbles with glass as opposed to plastic film. Just make sure your screen is clean and it should go well. And if you get the two pack, you get a second chance if you screw it up the first time. :)
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23201 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
ddochi11 wrote: I am using this exact one for my iP7+. I have had cheap eBay ones for my other phones in the past, but this Spigen one is the best one yet. There is Oleophobic coating on this one and it feels smoother than other cheap ones. It is easier to install than film protectors. Bubble is rarely an issue, as long as your screen is clean. It is easy to get rid of bubbles as you install.
How did you get rid of the bubbles? I read that there were some alignment issues with the holes on the screen protector and the ear piece on the IP7+?
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Just install it under bright light ensuring there's no visible dust before applying. iirc, it comes with a dust sticker before you wipe it down.

I also have that exact Spigen one, the only issue I see is the light refraction on the L and R edge, it's like a tiny rainbow strip, not really noticeable but I think the premium brands might have a bit more custom fit. I won't pay more than $10 for a screen protector though, $2 for $10 is great.
Sep 30, 2012
116 posts
28 upvotes
Vancouver
Sgt_Strider wrote: How did you get rid of the bubbles? I read that there were some alignment issues with the holes on the screen protector and the ear piece on the IP7+?
Just pushed the bubble out with my finger. It didn't take too much effort at all.
There was no issue with alignment.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
1147 posts
1309 upvotes
Toronto
I got the same Spigen glass screen protector when they first came out for the 6p, i've probably bought 5 or 6 times because the i really like the feel of the glass. But the edges always breaks apart after 2-3 month, i've been fed up now and i recently got the clear film from Spigen as well (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B010MV ... UTF8&psc=1), to be honest i really do miss the feel of glass, but the clear film cuts the bulk and maintenance from the glass protector.
Thanks for the upvote!
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23201 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
Thanks for the comments guys? I just noticed the Spigen doesn't have a cut out for the front facing camera.

Apparently the JETech tempered glass protectors does. Is the quality any good?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1501 upvotes
Montreal
You shouldn't have bubbles unless you either

1) installed in a dusty area
Or
2) didn't properly prep the screen.

Tempered glass is self installing. Just place it on and lightly touch the middle, the rest will apply itself.

I highly recommend them. All my phones have them. I always order 2 at a time, because your going to crack/break it at anytime.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
8488 posts
1291 upvotes
Brampton
Using the same on on my 7 plus. No bubbles and it feels awesome.

Only thing when installing is make sure it lines up perfectly. The iPhone screen curves around the edges making the screen protector lift along the edges if not lined up right. Mine was slightly off but after a month it fixed itself.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19792 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
I got it a few days ago, no cut out for the camera but not a concern.

The hardest part is centering it since you're dropping it in one shot. Took 2-3 attempts. Otherwise now I prefer Tempered Glass.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23201 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
bembol wrote: I got it a few days ago, no cut out for the camera but not a concern.

The hardest part is centering it since you're dropping it in one shot. Took 2-3 attempts. Otherwise now I prefer Tempered Glass.
Can't you just take it off and re-align it then?