Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
1381 posts
382 upvotes
Toronto

Anyone insurance went up?

Been driving Chevy volt for 2years now and my insurance went up by $500/year. 1600/year for 2100/year...

Hadlve no claim, not tickets ,no accidents, nothing.

BelAir said it has to do with Canadian data thry receive and there have been more incidents with Chevy volt.

Wtf? Crazy...
40 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
ysl5710 wrote: Been driving Chevy volt for 2years now and my insurance went up by $500/year. 1600/year for 2100/year...

BelAir said it has to do with Canadian data thry receive and there have been more incidents with Chevy volt.

Wtf? Crazy...
Is this year 2 with Belair? They are famous for low introductory rates and jack them up in year 2. Every year at renewal time, set aside an hour or two, and call up every company for a quote. I do it every year, and save pretty much every year. Coseco/Cooperators has an electric vehicle discount, not sure if the Volt qualifies.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5573 posts
2157 upvotes
Debtario
Time to shop around!

If it's true, the small number of them on the roads likely means even a small increase in claims will disproportionately affect the car's standing.

Remember it's also quite an expensive vehicle pre-rebate, non-warranty parts/service are costly, and it's also discontinued. Not what greedy insurance companies want people driving. But they're greedy insurance companies, so they'll screw you regardless.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
1381 posts
382 upvotes
Toronto
They stopped making the volt. Insurance company said it's because there has been more claims reported on the volt model.

I think it's bullshit.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2975 posts
2885 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
ysl5710 wrote: They stopped making the volt. Insurance company said it's because there has been more claims reported on the volt model.

I think it's bullshit.
Insurance prices are definitely based on claims with that particular vehicle, cost of those payouts, etc. The fact that they stopped making the vehicle and there's not a lot of them out there a small amount of claims can definitely impact the price you pay.

That's why high end luxury cars can cost less to insure than a civic. As a real world example the 2 door version of the GTI is 25% more expensive to insure than the 4 door when i was pricing them out.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15656 posts
16814 upvotes
Oakville
Ecsta wrote: Insurance prices are definitely based on claims with that particular vehicle, cost of those payouts, etc. The fact that they stopped making the vehicle and there's not a lot of them out there a small amount of claims can definitely impact the price you pay.

That's why high end luxury cars can cost less to insure than a civic. As a real world example the 2 door version of the GTI is 25% more expensive to insure than the 4 door when i was pricing them out.
Pretty sure that's because they generally rate 2-dr coupes as riskier than 4-dr cars. Probably a carryover from how most 2-dr coupes tend to be sportier cars and not driven by families.
My 2-dr, 180hp BMW coupe is rated by insurance as a "high performance vehicle". I lol'd at them because minivan's have 100hp+ more power. Guess I should get a 400hp 4dr M5.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1781 posts
504 upvotes
Never even thought of that that the electric cars these days would be more for insurance because of the repair parts that are mostly unavailable. Tesla and volt owners are like I save 700.00 in gas a year using the electric but ice car people are like ya you pay an extra 1200.00 a year insurance lol because it more of a risk and may take months to finding parts lol.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15656 posts
16814 upvotes
Oakville
shawn01 wrote: Never even thought of that that the electric cars these days would be more for insurance because of the repair parts that are mostly unavailable. Tesla and volt owners are like I save 700.00 in gas a year using the electric but ice car people are like ya you pay an extra 1200.00 a year insurance lol because it more of a risk and may take months to finding parts lol.
You don't really buy a Tesla to save money. If you want to save money you get a cheap Toyota Echo. Are they really paying $1200 over a comparable car though? A Model S is comparable to a BMW M5, I doubt the insurance rates are higher on a Tesla, but wouldn't be surprised given they're relatively new with massive amounts of torque. They basically have hypercar performance off the line with 2 seconds 0-60mph.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
3384 posts
1843 upvotes
ysl5710 wrote: Been driving Chevy volt for 2years now and my insurance went up by $500/year. 1600/year for 2100/year...

Wtf? Crazy...
Same here 2017 Volt no claims. $900 to $1450. Crazy.

Anyways doesn't matter anymore. Ordered a Model 3 SR+ and my insurance will be down back to $950 for a car that cost 2x the Volt.
RFD Admins All Drive Teslas. You should Too!
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15656 posts
16814 upvotes
Oakville
Redscott wrote: Same here 2017 Volt no claims. $900 to $1450. Crazy.

Anyways doesn't matter anymore. Ordered a Model 3 SR+ and my insurance will be down back to $950 for a car that cost 2x the Volt.
Hopefully the same thing doesn't happen with the Model 3.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21793 posts
2592 upvotes

Wtf? Crazy...
You can use CLEAR to provide some direction on claim costs.

Looks like the 2017 has a DCPD index of 200, must be one expensive car to repair.
http://www.ibc.ca/ns/auto/buying-auto-i ... measure-up
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8281 posts
1218 upvotes
TO
Ecsta wrote: Insurance prices are definitely based on claims with that particular vehicle, cost of those payouts, etc. The fact that they stopped making the vehicle and there's not a lot of them out there a small amount of claims can definitely impact the price you pay.

Sorry just trying to understand why a luxury would cost less to ensure?
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC

"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35231 posts
21214 upvotes
Center of Universe
TorontoEh wrote: Sorry just trying to understand why a luxury would cost less to ensure?
Less on the road.
But his comparison of a Honda Civic (one of the best selling vehicle) is a bad example.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5280 posts
2844 upvotes
Toronto
Redscott wrote: Same here 2017 Volt no claims. $900 to $1450. Crazy.

Are you with belair?
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
TorontoEh wrote:
Sorry just trying to understand why a luxury would cost less to ensure?
Owners also maintain them and don't drive as recklessly. They also cause less injury to occupants, it's much cheaper to replace a car rather then pay for years and years of therapy to get rid of injuries. Years ago I was considering a Corvette, they are one of the cheapest cars to insure. Mainly old guys drive them, and most of them are off the road in the winter.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8281 posts
1218 upvotes
TO
Wow I didn;t know that, thanks fusion2k2k and vkizle. But I wonder if that's only in certain provinces and not necessarily everyone's experience? I do remember being quoted lower for a luxury (lexus) and high for our other civic.
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC

"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent