Green / Eco-Friendly

Anyone just toss their old veggie scraps in their gardens?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2020 10:01 am
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 17, 2014
935 posts
734 upvotes
Ontario

Anyone just toss their old veggie scraps in their gardens?

We do not have composter and really I don't want to fork out the money to get one. We have been basically just putting our old veggies scraps in various places in the backyard, it decomposes in a couple weeks and is gone. Seems like a win-win.

Anyone else do this and are there any real negatives to it? I've seen people say it invites "pests" (I call that wildlife), but we haven't seen an increase in any of that. Usually a lot of ants will go at it. We place the stuff further back in our yard and not by our house.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4621 posts
2009 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I have not thrown it into the garden on the surface, but have buried it when planting. Figure, like you and many others, that it makes for good soil enrichment. There may be a problem with rats, which may also be good if you have suitable cats that need entertainment. I have found rats in composters (supposedly rat proof...)
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8949 posts
3295 upvotes
Always used to have an open compost pile and the main drawback is some squash, melon, or pumpkin would start to grow from it and take over that area lol
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13092 posts
2184 upvotes
City of Vancouver
U should use a composter because it doesn't take long for the vermin population to explode. Look for a free used composter on forums/websites with a free section.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4621 posts
2009 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Becks wrote: U should use a composter because it doesn't take long for the vermin population to explode. Look for a free used composter on forums/websites with a free section.
You're in Vancouver where there are low-cost composter programmes (black bins for houses, worm bins for apartments and condos). That's why there's a steady supply of free composters. Not so elsewhere, unfortunately.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5228 posts
1923 upvotes
Debtario
Dig a hole, throw the scraps in, bury it. Remediated a few areas of poor soil in my backyard through burying compost, leaves, and grass clippings over the years.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1593 posts
1168 upvotes
GTA West
Copper1212 wrote: We do not have composter and really I don't want to fork out the money to get one. We have been basically just putting our old veggies scraps in various places in the backyard, it decomposes in a couple weeks and is gone. Seems like a win-win.

Anyone else do this and are there any real negatives to it? I've seen people say it invites "pests" (I call that wildlife), but we haven't seen an increase in any of that. Usually a lot of ants will go at it. We place the stuff further back in our yard and not by our house.
Well that is how it was done for ever and ever until people stopped growing their own food and starting putting all their veggie scraps in the garbage. You can bury it if you don't want critters eating it.
Feb 4, 2017
256 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
M1K3Z0R wrote: Dig a hole, throw the scraps in, bury it. Remediated a few areas of poor soil in my backyard through burying compost, leaves, and grass clippings over the years.
are you always throwing your scraps in holes? Do you just dig, fill, and cover? how ofter are you having to dig?
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10833 posts
5898 upvotes
Markham
Blend it with some water and then pour it into areas you're going to plant in.

Because it's blended, vermin don't come looking for a meal...instead you'll get worms which is a good thing!
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Feb 19, 2019
817 posts
881 upvotes
Stouffville ON
Nothing wrong with just throwing it on top with soil, you may however attract unwanted wildlife, I am not sure if it improves the soil quality as well as if it was buried, I am guessing not since it may dry out on the surface, be blown away by wind, easier to be eaten etc.
You can check with your city if they have free/inexpensive composters program.
Full Time and Full Service Realtor
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
86 posts
16 upvotes
I throw banana peels on my lawn. But I keep them inside my garage for a week or so, till they really become really small, dark brown & shriveled up & then I throw them outside, so they are not too conspicuous on the lawn.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2724 posts
902 upvotes
Windsor
I pressed a barrel 12" into the ground to stop critters from digging their way in, and just put the scraps in my composter. When I was doing the garden, it was attracting lots of animals digging around.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Jun 11, 2019
79 posts
9 upvotes
I composted before GTA started composting. I just dug a hole in the backyard and all my scraps were gone in the summer in 1-1.5 weeks with worms and moisture. Worms will help you break down the scraps a lot quicker.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4887 upvotes
Here 'n There
Becks wrote: U should use a composter because it doesn't take long for the vermin population to explode. Look for a free used composter on forums/websites with a free section.
+1. You are really inviting vermin. Also, composting is much more efficient.