Cell Phones

Anyone know a good emergency/low-usage prepaid option that will work in the US?

• Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2020 12:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2744 posts
224 upvotes
Canadia

Anyone know a good emergency/low-usage prepaid option that will work in the US?

Just looking for a sim card for low usage calling and texting. I just want it to work in the US because my phone number needs to be consistent when I visit the states for conferences.

Currently with Speakout wireless, which has been so-so. Good when it works, but there are some huge areas with no service. Also no services anywhere in the US. So I need to move on, unfortunately.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
[external advertising link removed]
4 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4271 posts
2568 upvotes
Gotham
I think the only Canadian prepaid service that can roam in the US is Chatr. There may be others, but I am unaware of them.

If you are in the US often, I would suggest a US data plan plus a VoIP service like Google Voice. I have this combination and it works really well. Call quality is excellent and calling and texting between Canada and the US is free. The drawback is it is a US number.

T-Mobile has a 2GB/$10, 6GB/$25 data plan and up. Canada and Mexico roaming are included in the price. I use this and it is fine if you are in Canada for an extended period of time. https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid-internet

There are other services for the US, you can check them out this thread at the top of this section, roaming-sims-travelers-2183565/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2744 posts
224 upvotes
Canadia
Yeah I'm not there often, and normally just get a US phone number while I'm there like tracfone or something from Target. But now I need a single, consistent phone number where I can be reached year-round, whether I'm in the US (sporadically) or Canada (most of the time).

Thanks a lot, I will check out Chatr.
[external advertising link removed]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4497 posts
1804 upvotes
GTA
Public Mobiles cheapest plan is $15/month

US roaming add-ons go for about $8 for 10 days worth of unlimited calling.
Nov 16, 2014
183 posts
75 upvotes
Ladysmith, BC
I use Koodo prepaid and add US boosters for talk, text, and data that never expire.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)