Sports & Recreation

Anyone know how to remove the SP and BB?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2020 4:50 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4485 posts
2968 upvotes

Anyone know how to remove the SP and BB?

Disassembling a complete bike and got the BB and seat post.

I used my milwaukee 1/2" stubby for 3 to 4 minutes and maybe 1 or 2 mm movement, then use a breaker bar with a 3 feet pipe and still no go with the BB
As for the seat post I started to use a hackzall and cutting slots inside the SP.
Seems its fused shut.
Images
  • 20200712_174600.jpg
  • 20200712_174430.jpg
  • 20200712_174425.jpg
  • 20200712_174352.jpg
  • 20200712_174350.jpg
4 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15302 posts
20642 upvotes
Vancouver
You ARE turning the BB in the right direction...?...LH thread needs clockwise turning to loosen. Have you tried heating the BB shell with a blowtorch?
As for the seat post, have you read Sheldon's article? https://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7709 posts
5687 upvotes
Toronto
Curious how things played out.

For the seat post - I'm assuming you were using a vice (bolt mounted on something heavy) gripping the destroyed seat post, allowing you to twist the frame?

For the BB, it's all about finding ways to increase torque (while keeping the tool from shifting).
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4485 posts
2968 upvotes
shikotee wrote: Curious how things played out.

For the seat post - I'm assuming you were using a vice (bolt mounted on something heavy) gripping the destroyed seat post, allowing you to twist the frame?

For the BB, it's all about finding ways to increase torque (while keeping the tool from shifting).
Needed an air impact gun and it came off. For the seat post it was air hammer and that too came off but took a few more minutes.
Last edited by cristianosham on Aug 1st, 2020 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7709 posts
5687 upvotes
Toronto
cristianosham wrote: Needed an air impact gun and it came off. For the seat post it was air hammer and that tooncamenoff but took a few more minutes.
Nice.
Both are a massive pain in the arse when fully ceased.
I trust you applied grease before putting in replacements.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)