Computers & Electronics

Anyone know if Amazon Fire TV will work in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2018 2:15 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2006
6564 posts
10853 upvotes
Comox Valley , BC
lynxstormcat wrote: Anyone had better luck making it work?
I just posted this in the Target USA firetv stick thread:
I managed to get Amazon Prime Video app to work on my USA firetv stick (again, - it was working before but stopped).

First I downloaded firedl app, which is used to quickly sideload apps. I used firedl to download aptoide app. (Aptoide TV is code 535222 which you enter into firedl - for more info on firedl and how to use just watch a video on youtube. Here is a link to the various codes and apps you can download using firedl - https://www.facebook.com/ServiTechUSA/p ... 8117461463 ).
I then installed the prime video app that is available thru the aptoide app. There's a couple Amazon Prime video apps available within apptoide - I'm not sure which worked but one of them did.
Dec 18, 2017
9 posts
1 upvote
Here is my experience. I bought a Firestick from Amazon.com and picked it up across the border. A few weeks later when they started the Prime videos in Canada, I was able to get them. I may have called tech support, not sure. Then I saw them on Sale at Target before Christmas and went over to NY and bought two. I gave my Amazon purchased one to a relative. The ones from Target would not get Prime videos at all, in Canada even with calls to tech support. I also from Target got a Fire TV. It also will not get Prime videos even after calling tech support.
I should add that I can get the Prime videos on my laptop and also my grandkids Wii game. This is very frustrating
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
4639 posts
799 upvotes
Toronto
kewl12 wrote: Here is my experience. I bought a Firestick from Amazon.com and picked it up across the border. A few weeks later when they started the Prime videos in Canada, I was able to get them. I may have called tech support, not sure. Then I saw them on Sale at Target before Christmas and went over to NY and bought two. I gave my Amazon purchased one to a relative. The ones from Target would not get Prime videos at all, in Canada even with calls to tech support. I also from Target got a Fire TV. It also will not get Prime videos even after calling tech support.
I should add that I can get the Prime videos on my laptop and also my grandkids Wii game. This is very frustrating
I got the target one from a friend as well, I sideloaded the Canadian version of amazon prime(someone ported it from nVidia shield tv) and it didn't show on the screen by default, every time I need to go to settings and launch it via manage application, it works but it takes too many steps to watch. Still waiting for a better solution.
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Dec 18, 2017
9 posts
1 upvote
Thanks, Rui. Very interesting. I wonder if there is something different between the Amazon and the Target versions. I assumed they would both be the same ie the newest Gen 2. I didn't see any difference between the two. If I order one from Amazon.com I have to have it delivered to CBI and pay US$6.00 t pick it up. Maybe I should try buying one at Best Buy in Buffalo. Just a slightly longer drive.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
4639 posts
799 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe better to get Canadian verstion if doesn’t care about Alexa, save the hassle. It was on sale for $35 last Nov.
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Dec 25, 2017
59 posts
7 upvotes
Winnipeg
I use mine with Kodi and Terranium works fantastic I have never tried it with Amazon for any reason
Jun 26, 2012
17 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
Simple way to get Canadian amazon prime on US Fire Tv... Open aptoid tv app, (if you don’t have it, go to troypoint.com for instructions to load it. A nice app to have) click search,top left, type amazon ,then next, load the first one that just say amazon, open and load your prime.ca cred ,it will say your Sony device is registered. Start watching.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2006
5342 posts
2809 upvotes
Northside
Hey guys,

I'm completely new to this Amazon Fire Stick thing. I have two Fire Sticks (alexa remote) that I purchased from the States a few months ago and only getting around to it now.

How can I make use of this (streaming shows/Amazon Prime Canada/ Hulu)? I bought IP Vanish as well so hopefully that will help.

I know you have to install Kodi, etc.

Once again, apologies as I'm a complete noob when it comes to this stuff lol.

Thanks
Sep 12, 2008
223 posts
12 upvotes
I can confirm the approach below works. I’m currently using it with a amazon.com purchased firetv stick.

The only thing I would add is the Amazon app that works for prime is called (Amazon Video)
Toomanyphones wrote: Simple way to get Canadian amazon prime on US Fire Tv... Open aptoid tv app, (if you don’t have it, go to troypoint.com for instructions to load it. A nice app to have) click search,top left, type amazon ,then next, load the first one that just say amazon, open and load your prime.ca cred ,it will say your Sony device is registered. Start watching.
Aug 16, 2006
26 posts
6 upvotes
railer wrote: I can confirm the approach below works. I’m currently using it with a amazon.com purchased firetv stick.

The only thing I would add is the Amazon app that works for prime is called (Amazon Video)
Thanks, works for me too on my 3G FireTV.
Jun 15, 2012
166 posts
76 upvotes
railer wrote: I can confirm the approach below works. I’m currently using it with a amazon.com purchased firetv stick.

Sorry if it is a dumb question, but does this work even if you don't have Amazon Prime (Canada) subscription?
Last edited by choiclark on May 20th, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24234 posts
43262 upvotes
ONTARIO
choiclark wrote: Sorry if it is a dumb question, bu does this work even if you don't have Amazon Prime (Canada) subscription?
Are you a Prime member in any other country? Like USA? If so, then yes you could sign in with your amazon.com details and access the Canadian Prime Video content if Amazon sees you're in Canada (vice versa as well). If you're asking if you can access the content without being a Prime member at all, then no you can't.
Jun 15, 2012
166 posts
76 upvotes
squonk wrote: Thanks, works for me too on my 3G FireTV.
When you guys say "it is working", what kind of shows can you watch? I completed all the steps including the device registration, but whatever I click to watch, it says "this title is not available in your current location." I clicked on a number of movies and some shows, but all says the same thing.
What am I missing?
Jun 15, 2012
166 posts
76 upvotes
BobSagget wrote: Are you a Prime member in any other country? Like USA? If so, then yes you could sign in with your amazon.com details and access the Canadian Prime Video content if Amazon sees you're in Canada (vice versa as well). If you're asking if you can access the content without being a Prime member at all, then no you can't.
Thanks. I actually signed up a trial Amazon.com prime membership by accident. I followed all the steps (installed downloader and aptoide and registered the device), but I registered the US prime membership. Now, whatever I click on, it says either "this title is not available in your current location" or "This video isn't available due to geographical licensing restriction...blah blah".
I believe this is because I tried to use Amazon.com Prime membership instead of Amazon.ca Prime membership.
I will try with Amazon.ca Prime membership and see how it goes.
Sep 9, 2015
316 posts
125 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
What channels are available for Canadian fire TV sticks? Most interested in food channel programs. The app isn't available for Canadians and I see it as on list of available channels.
Jun 30, 2018
2 posts
Toomanyphones wrote: Simple way to get Canadian amazon prime on US Fire Tv... Open aptoid tv app, (if you don’t have it, go to troypoint.com for instructions to load it. A nice app to have) click search,top left, type amazon ,then next, load the first one that just say amazon, open and load your prime.ca cred ,it will say your Sony device is registered. Start watching.
I signed up to reply to this forum just to thank you!!! Oooh my gosh I searched the internet for days trying to figure out how to use my us fire stick here in Canada. Well to take advantage of my prime at least. I thought I was going to have to purchase a Canadian one as well. Sorry for the rant im just so excited your solution worked. I could kiss you lolFace With Stuck-out TongueFace With Stuck-out TongueFace With Stuck-out TongueFace With Stuck-out TongueFace With Stuck-out Tongue
Jul 6, 2018
1 posts
Kim2019 wrote: I signed up to reply to this forum just to thank you!!! Oooh my gosh I searched the internet for days trying to figure out how to use my us fire stick here in Canada. Well to take advantage of my prime at least. I thought I was going to have to purchase a Canadian one as well. Sorry for the rant im just so excited your solution worked. I could kiss you lolFace With Stuck-out TongueFace With Stuck-out TongueFace With Stuck-out TongueFace With Stuck-out TongueFace With Stuck-out Tongue
please help, I have done all of this and when i install primevideo it says it cant install as there is already that pacage installed from aptoid, any thoughts?
Jun 30, 2018
2 posts
levesqueonline wrote: please help, I have done all of this and when i install primevideo it says it cant install as there is already that pacage installed from aptoid, any thoughts?

Hi there if you have it already downloaded on Aptoide then you should be able to just sign in and watch it through there. Search the apps through Aptoide. If you see it log in, if it doesn't work delete the app and reinstall it the way I did on the thread I replied to. I hope this works for you Hugging Face
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2003
4289 posts
679 upvotes
Toronto
Kim2019 wrote: Hi there if you have it already downloaded on Aptoide then you should be able to just sign in and watch it through there. Search the apps through Aptoide. If you see it log in, if it doesn't work delete the app and reinstall it the way I did on the thread I replied to. I hope this works for you Hugging Face
I installed the amazon video app from apptoid. But when I launch it from the main menu it says app not registered with Amazon account.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)