Cell Phones

Anyone know when we can expect Huawei Honor Note 8 in Canada/US?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2016 3:37 pm
[OP]
May 5, 2011
427 posts
95 upvotes
Missisaga

Anyone know when we can expect Huawei Honor Note 8 in Canada/US?

I checked Huawei official website and they have no info about this phone. I wasn't able to find this phone at any carriers as well. It is available online on ebay and some other shops, but I was wondering if any official store with warranty is going to have this phone anytime soon?

P.S. IMHO this is an interesting phablet, it has 6.6 inch high-res screen and a huge 4500mAh battery promising 2 days of heavy use, and price is half of current flagship phones which is attractive
Public Mobile $38 4Gb LTE data on Canada's largest LTE network
Unlimited Province Wide Calling, Global Texting/MMS, Voicemail and Caller ID
iPhone 7 plus 128Gb Black
9 replies
Oct 27, 2016
1 posts
2 upvotes
I'm getting it anyway. Ordered the Chinese version to replace my Samsung Note 7. I have heard that there may not be a US/International release and I've seen reports of users on AT&T (US) using it with HSPA+ with better than acceptable speeds.
Aug 1, 2005
909 posts
104 upvotes
Burnaby
I'm on the fence about this one too. If you do buy the Chinese version (the only version online ATM) expect to have no warranty support and poor/no LTE service. For Rogers, the Note 8 only has B7 (Rogers uses B4/B7/B12/B17). I've read that in metro Vancouver B7 coverage on Rogers is decent though. YMMV
Dec 20, 2012
728 posts
120 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I really liking the Mate 9 Pro.. but with a pricetag of $1300.... Im not sure.. haha
Fido $45
Unlimited Canada Calling, Unlimited Global Texting/MMS, 5GB Data
Twilight 128GB Hauwei P20 Pro
Aug 1, 2005
909 posts
104 upvotes
Burnaby
gd6noob wrote: I really liking the Mate 9 Pro.. but with a pricetag of $1300.... Im not sure.. haha
Mate 9 Pro leaks imply 1080P resolution. Personally, on a 6" or larger phone I'd prefer QHD, especially since a lot of AMOLED displays are pentile matrix so you're losing theoretical resolution, like on vertical and horizontal lines, like text.

I have QHD on my 5.5" Axon 7 (pentile AMOLED) and I like how sharp text is. Yes, up close I can see the pentile arranged pixels/LEDs with my naked eye. The Oneplus 3 with 1080P on a 5.5" pentile AMOLED wasn't as nice when I compared it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
6630 posts
893 upvotes
Ottawa
no, mate 9 pro seem to be curved QHD Resolution, regular mate 9 1080p, from the rumor so far
Aug 29, 2015
206 posts
51 upvotes
Honor USA brought in Honor 8, hopefully they will bring in the Honor Note 8. Interested in buying only if it is a North American variant.
Dec 20, 2012
728 posts
120 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
jlo mein wrote:
gd6noob wrote: I really liking the Mate 9 Pro.. but with a pricetag of $1300.... Im not sure.. haha
Mate 9 Pro leaks imply 1080P resolution. Personally, on a 6" or larger phone I'd prefer QHD, especially since a lot of AMOLED displays are pentile matrix so you're losing theoretical resolution, like on vertical and horizontal lines, like text.

I have QHD on my 5.5" Axon 7 (pentile AMOLED) and I like how sharp text is. Yes, up close I can see the pentile arranged pixels/LEDs with my naked eye. The Oneplus 3 with 1080P on a 5.5" pentile AMOLED wasn't as nice when I compared it.
rivet wrote: no, mate 9 pro seem to be curved QHD Resolution, regular mate 9 1080p, from the rumor so far
This^^ but if the rumors are true with the pricing.. not sure who would pay such money for it...
Fido $45
Unlimited Canada Calling, Unlimited Global Texting/MMS, 5GB Data
Twilight 128GB Hauwei P20 Pro
Aug 1, 2005
909 posts
104 upvotes
Burnaby
rivet wrote: no, mate 9 pro seem to be curved QHD Resolution, regular mate 9 1080p, from the rumor so far
Good to hear. Going to follow that one more closely then.
comolake wrote: Honor USA brought in Honor 8, hopefully they will bring in the Honor Note 8. Interested in buying only if it is a North American variant.
I'm skeptical on this. The Honor 8 is a mainstream device for the average consumer. It was internationally revealed in July and released in USA mid-August.

The Honor Note 8 is more niche, being one of the largest phones on the market. It was revealed August 1, and currently there is no confirmed USA release. The iPhone 7, Pixel, and LG V20 have all come out since then, and most with Galaxy Note 7's already have alternative replacements.

I'm doubtful we'll see a USA release, but if we do I'd be the first to buy. Heck, I'm still considering the Chinese version.
Aug 1, 2005
909 posts
104 upvotes
Burnaby
Yesterday picked up an Honor Note 8. The Chinese version is still the only one available (only Canadian LTE band is B7). I'll test it out in Vancouver for a few weeks and see what Fido LTE B7 coverage is like.

So far, videos look amazing and 3D gaming is more tablet-like.

FYI the similar Lenovo Phab 2 Pro is now released. 6.4" QHD, microSD, dual sim, Canadian LTE bands, Google Tango AR. It's more expensive at $499US, and significantly heavier, but is the first phone to include all the hardware for Tango. It has Qualcomm's midrange CPU/GPU that's more power efficient, but I don't know how it compares to the Huawei high end CPU/GPU in the Note 8.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)