Computers & Electronics

Anyone know where I can rent an Epson FastFoto scanner?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2023 11:28 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
4212 posts
778 upvotes
T.O.

Anyone know where I can rent an Epson FastFoto scanner?

My parents have a thousand prints and I would like to scan them, and digitize them. Problem is that my parents don’t feel comfortable leaving or shipping them in case something happens. I also don’t think it’s worth buying it outright since this is a one time job. That’s why I am looking at finding a place that would rent it out for a few days. Does anyone know of such places?

I will not do scummy things like buying and returning it. I don’t think thats morally correct.
Last edited by Traian2003 on Jan 20th, 2023 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heatware: Link
HowardForums: Link
12 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
10137 posts
4415 upvotes
Vaughan
How about buy new, use it, then resell or keep it?
...
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 12, 2007
18916 posts
6117 upvotes
London
Visatek ?

Try asking in the photo forum
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
4212 posts
778 upvotes
T.O.
teoconca wrote: How about buy new, use it, then resell or keep it?
Problem is that I will scan my photos in a day or two, and then probably never use it again. The selling value is pretty bad as well. This is my current option if I cannot find somewhere to rent it.
Gee wrote: Thousands of photos eh?

Will take you more than a few days
The feeder holds 38 photos, and takes 1 second per picture.
ROYinTO wrote: I've got a HP ScanJet 5370C that you or anyone else is welcome to have.

You will need an old computer with the right drivers to run it.
Or HP says some 3rd party software may run it: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03479564

I checked and vuescan does: https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/hp_scan ... nformation
I already have a scanner, but the problem is that it is too slow to scan, save, each picture individually. I want something faster.
Heatware: Link
HowardForums: Link
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5546 posts
3042 upvotes
Toronto
Traian2003 wrote: Problem is that I will scan my photos in a day or two, and then probably never use it again. The selling value is pretty bad as well. This is my current option if I cannot find somewhere to rent it.

The feeder holds 38 photos, and takes 1 second per picture.

I already have a scanner, but the problem is that it is too slow to scan, save, each picture individually. I want something faster.
My apologies, I didn't read the title close enough to recognize you were looking for a specific scanner.

OTOH, after reading your response, I did search "photo scanning service Toronto" and found a number of them. Given the # of photos you want scanned, Staples seems reasonable @ $229 for up to 1500 photos. Their prices can be found here: https://www.staplescopyandprint.ca/Phot ... vices.aspx
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
4212 posts
778 upvotes
T.O.
ROYinTO wrote: My apologies, I didn't read the title close enough to recognize you were looking for a specific scanner.

OTOH, after reading your response, I did search "photo scanning service Toronto" and found a number of them. Given the # of photos you want scanned, Staples seems reasonable @ $229 for up to 1500 photos. Their prices can be found here: https://www.staplescopyandprint.ca/Phot ... vices.aspx
There are cheaper services, but my parents don't feel comfortable leaving the photos with a random person or business. They are worried the photos may get lost or destroyed.
Heatware: Link
HowardForums: Link
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5546 posts
3042 upvotes
Toronto
Traian2003 wrote: There are cheaper services, but my parents don't feel comfortable leaving the photos with a random person or business. They are worried the photos may get lost or destroyed.
This will be the last of my suggestions.
A good son would offer to stand guard & watch that the family heirlooms don't go astray.
Good luck in your quest.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
10137 posts
4415 upvotes
Vaughan
^^^ this ^^^

Pictures are priceless! Can’t go back in time!
...
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4841 posts
4621 upvotes
Toronto
As @l69norm mentioned, Vistek or other photography rental places (Henry's, probably). The photography rental places usually have a ton of different photo-related equipment to rent besides lenses and cameras. Been years since I looked at it, but I'm pretty sure they rented out scanners as well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
4212 posts
778 upvotes
T.O.
I inquired with Vistek, and they don’t have scanners. I’ll ask Henry’s now too. Thanks for the suggestion.
Heatware: Link
HowardForums: Link
Member
User avatar
May 13, 2007
205 posts
96 upvotes
Lake of the Woods, N…
would it be possible for FOUR people to buy in at ~$200.00 each. Each would use the scanner for 3 months and ship/pass it to the next person. Is there enough trust among us to do this? If OP and I were 2 of 4 ... are there 2 more?
Where There’s a Will, There’s a Way.

Top