Home & Garden

anyone knows how to install this type of light fixture??

• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2021 4:19 pm
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
939 posts
296 upvotes

anyone knows how to install this type of light fixture??

got the parts without any instruction.... no idea how to put it together. all the "branches" are separate with cables hanging out from them. has anyone installed this before?

17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8429 posts
3009 upvotes
Maple
Just like any light fixture. I can imagine the arms are folding into the each other main arms then to the fixture arms; without the bulbs of-course.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22081 posts
8468 upvotes
Socially Distanced
I have little sense of fashion/style but am i the only one who thinks that is incredibly ugly?

That said with the picture you should be able to figure out out what the end result is supposed to look like.
There are three branches from the ball, which all hook to 2 prongs which go to one light each. All 6 lights appear identical so should be interchangeable.
Match each piece to where it ends up then connect them.

That said see if you can find the manual online if your really stumped.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
939 posts
296 upvotes
teoconca wrote: Just like any light fixture. I can imagine the arms are folding into the each other main arms then to the fixture arms; without the bulbs of-course.
And I suppose I should just twist joint the multiple white wires into one and black wires into one and get them hooked up so on and so forth right ?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8429 posts
3009 upvotes
Maple
DPR2017 wrote: And I suppose I should just twist joint the multiple white wires into one and black wires into one and get them hooked up so on and so forth right ?
Usually yes, but do you know what you are doing? Don’t forget to power off to the light first! Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
939 posts
296 upvotes
teoconca wrote: Usually yes, but do you know what you are doing? Don’t forget to power off to the light first! Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Haha yes. But what I don’t get is. What are all these extra tools given to me for??
Images
  • 95F6F374-EF2C-4C94-8BFF-2635F03943AF.jpeg
Jan 21, 2011
810 posts
334 upvotes
GTA
No Instructions? Spare parts? Did the light come assemble?
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4031 posts
1065 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
DPR2017 wrote: Haha yes. But what I don’t get is. What are all these extra tools given to me for??
The black plastic looks like pieces of heat shrink tubing and in the bag with one of those, looks like a couple of crimp-on wire connectors.
Dec 26, 2012
344 posts
287 upvotes
Hamilton
i assembled one similar. just screw all the arms in so it looks like the pic, twist the 6 white wire connectors and the 6 black ones together (seperately), take that extra that came with the kit. twist the new bundle of white wires with a single white wire and use a connector to secure it. do the same with the black. Then take that single white and black and twist them into your wires in the junction box and secure them with a plug. I'm assuming theres a ground somewhere on your fixture so that throw into your junction box too
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
6086 posts
4376 upvotes
fergy wrote: The black plastic looks like pieces of heat shrink tubing and in the bag with one of those, looks like a couple of crimp-on wire connectors.
exactly
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: Does something like this help you? https://app.box.com/s/9jmv8jqltpa69h053536a84lae6ss7j9

Ultimately you're going to have to ask for instructions, find something similar online like the above link, or do it through trial and error.
well... trial and error method + electricity just don't go well in the same sentence, IMHO...
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22081 posts
8468 upvotes
Socially Distanced
DPR2017 wrote: Haha yes. But what I don’t get is. What are all these extra tools given to me for??
A lot of that seems to be for the connection to the electrical box at the ceiling (if needed).
That said if you can't find a manual online then contact the manufacturer who will usually be happy to e-mail you one.
Or contact the retailer you bought it from.

Is this some non CSA approved bought from a Chinese website/back of a truck low price special?
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
939 posts
296 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: A lot of that seems to be for the connection to the electrical box at the ceiling (if needed).
That said if you can't find a manual online then contact the manufacturer who will usually be happy to e-mail you one.
Or contact the retailer you bought it from.

Is this some non CSA approved bought from a Chinese website/back of a truck low price special?
Bought from alibaba Face With Tears Of Joy the funny thing is, I went back to the manufacturer s site. And if you had bought this in China , the manufacture covers free installation. That’s why the installation instruction is so crap. Most home owners don’t need to actually install it themselves in China !!
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
939 posts
296 upvotes
fergy wrote: The black plastic looks like pieces of heat shrink tubing and in the bag with one of those, looks like a couple of crimp-on wire connectors.
What’s the use case of a heat shrink tube? Just for cable management ? I have electrical tape, doesn’t that do the same thing ?
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22081 posts
8468 upvotes
Socially Distanced
DPR2017 wrote: Bought from alibaba Face With Tears Of Joy the funny thing is, I went back to the manufacturer s site. And if you had bought this in China , the manufacture covers free installation. That’s why the installation instruction is so crap. Most home owners don’t need to actually install it themselves in China !!
Theres your problem.
That apparent shrink wrap and plastic anchors are not code for Canada.

You have an illegal fixture and if they used meltable/flammable plastic or wires with insufficient insulation or illegal connections within the fixture you have a fire waiting to happen. These are real issues that exist in not legal in Canada electronics becasue they can cause house fires which is why we have regulations that make them illegal.

For example an electrical connection that comes loose because it was shrink wrapped leading to sparks or bulb holders that melt from the heat of the bulb or plastic that is weak and breaks piercing insulation and even insulation that ignites becasue of lack of fire retardants are the types of issues that have happened which is why those regulations had to be created. The almighty dollar means cutting corners for more profit.
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
939 posts
296 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: Theres your problem.
That apparent shrink wrap and plastic anchors are not code for Canada.

You have an illegal fixture and if they used meltable/flammable plastic or wires with insufficient insulation or illegal connections within the fixture you have a fire waiting to happen. These are real issues that exist in not legal in Canada electronics becasue they can cause house fires which is why we have regulations that make them illegal.

For example an electrical connection that comes loose because it was shrink wrapped leading to sparks or bulb holders that melt from the heat of the bulb or plastic that is weak and breaks piercing insulation and even insulation that ignites becasue of lack of fire retardants are the types of issues that have happened which is why those regulations had to be created. The almighty dollar means cutting corners for more profit.
That’s really good to know. Thanks.

I suppose replacing them with Home Depot purchased parts should do the job right ? Just curious, given how everything is made in China anyway. What makes certain things Canadian standard?
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4309 posts
2208 upvotes
DPR2017 wrote: That’s really good to know. Thanks.

I suppose replacing them with Home Depot purchased parts should do the job right ? Just curious, given how everything is made in China anyway. What makes certain things Canadian standard?
CSA certification

Certification means that products conform to accepted standards on a continuing basis. Products so certified can display the CSA Certification Mark, which is a registered trademark.

https://www.machinedesign.com/markets/a ... -standards
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22081 posts
8468 upvotes
Socially Distanced
DPR2017 wrote: That’s really good to know. Thanks.

You would have to replace the entire appliance.
I have seen instances where the bulb holder melted, the bulb could fall out.
The wire insulation may not be flame retardant, an errant spark and its on fire.

As for how other items made in China can meet Canadian standards i refer you to previous posts i have made
best-place-buy-led-light-bulbs-house-1894147/#p24733539
www-pinkcherry-ca-nsfw-adult-items-sale ... #p29345944
best-website-buy-led-gu10-e26-aliexpres ... #p25269691