• Apr 30th, 2022 11:28 am
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 27, 2010
385 posts
554 upvotes
Toronto

Anyone live in Newmarket?

My partner and I are planning to move out of Toronto. I work mostly remote but do occasionally have to travel downtown Toronto (once a week or two). Mostly looking for neighbourhood tips in/around newmarket. From driving around, I seem to be drawn to huron heights (close to 404 near davis/leslie) and college-manor near muloc area.
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7226 posts
6406 upvotes
FPrince wrote: My partner and I are planning to move out of Toronto. I work mostly remote but do occasionally have to travel downtown Toronto (once a week or two). Mostly looking for neighbourhood tips in/around newmarket. From driving around, I seem to be drawn to huron heights (close to 404 near davis/leslie) and college-manor near muloc area.
Anything along Davis is pretty sketchy and quite transient and known as the dog patch .

College manor is a bit better but you want to be on the south side of mulock not the north side
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2019
1779 posts
2723 upvotes
Stouffville ON
Lived in Newmarket for many years, I would avoid old areas full for rentals unless you are buying for investment, and if budget permits.

Our first home was in Huron Heights, nothing to write home about, very street dependent, you will have streets with many rentals, or rented basements, some streets are nicer than the other, after that we moved to College Manor north of Mulock, very nice area with friendly neighbours and great neighbourhood, parks etc. I would take College Manor in a heart beat over Huron Heights.

The sketchy areas of Newmarket are nowhere near as sketchy as Toronto's.
Full Time and Full Service Realtor
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4599 posts
1833 upvotes
GTA
senasena wrote: Lived in Newmarket for many years, I would avoid old areas full for rentals unless you are buying for investment, and if budget permits.

Our first home was in Huron Heights, nothing to write home about, very street dependent, you will have streets with many rentals, or rented basements, some streets are nicer than the other, after that we moved to College Manor north of Mulock, very nice area with friendly neighbours and great neighbourhood, parks etc. I would take College Manor in a heart beat over Huron Heights.

The sketchy areas of Newmarket are nowhere near as sketchy as Toronto's.
I see from your profile that you're in Stouffville now. Would you mind offering a quick comparison of Newmarket to Stouffville?
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2019
1779 posts
2723 upvotes
Stouffville ON
The_Professor wrote: I see from your profile that you're in Stouffville now. Would you mind offering a quick comparison of Newmarket to Stouffville?
The main difference is size, Stouffville is much smaller than Newmarket and is a bit separated from everything, Stouffville also has rural area. Newmarket is closely connected with Aurora, and due to it’s size you have all the main stores such as Costco, Home Depot, more restaurants, cineplex etc, Stouffville doesn’t have it. Both have Go train connection if you wand to go DT, driving to Toronto is actually better from Stouffville, from Newmarket you have very little choice, it’s 404, and unless you are going to the west side via 400, or not much else, from Stouffville you can hit 9th line or many other streets to 407 or down to Scarborough, 404 is also an option.
Schools are comparable (average).
Sep 25, 2009
491 posts
390 upvotes
My family and I live in NewMarket (St John and Leslie) right on the border of Aurora (Copper Hills). Many people live in this area that Go-Train downtown for work including my wife and myself.

Pretty amazing how much development happened in past 5 years since we moved here and there are schools being built soon on Bayview/St John. It was a struggle when we first moved up here (2012) in terms of Chinese food, but since then, tons of Asian related food have popped up around us, so we're very happy about that.

Great area if you're looking for big growth in coming years IMO. Stick close to the St John road, and avoid going to far north, as it does get sketchy past Davis Drive.

At St.John/Leslie border where I live:
  • 5 minutes from Multiple Supermarkets/TNT Plaza/Superstore/LA Fitness/multiple food plazas (asian food)
  • 5 minutes from 404 highway/Walmart
  • 10 minutes away from go train station.
  • 20 minutes away from Costco.

I grew up in Richmond Hill around Bayview SS, the area block from St John/Leslie to Bayview/Wellington reminds me of mid 2000s Richmond Hill. Same demographics, just their children is north.
May 27, 2007
16029 posts
4433 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote: Anything along Davis is pretty sketchy and quite transient and known as the dog patch .

College manor is a bit better but you want to be on the south side of mulock not the north side
I would second this. Lots of rentals, especially avoid the north side of Davis near Yonge.

Either go south of Mulock or north to Green Lane for the new neighbourhoods.
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2017
1043 posts
832 upvotes
BC
Newmarket is least desirable postal code N of Major Mac.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1637 posts
963 upvotes
Major Mack is pretty arbitrary. That area only just recently evolved out of farmland.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4714 posts
371 upvotes
Are there not a lot of new developments west of Yonge on Davis? This is a bad area too??
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2019
1779 posts
2723 upvotes
Stouffville ON
Lovable wrote: Are there not a lot of new developments west of Yonge on Davis? This is a bad area too??
Depends which corner and which pockets, some are very nice others are crap, the new developments are nice areas, old semis and TH with lots of rental are the worst.
Sep 23, 2017
90 posts
48 upvotes
We have live in Woodland Hills corner of Newmarket and loved the area. North West corner of Woodland Hills is the nicest area so far.
Just keep in mind some Newmarket areas saw little to none appreciation of prices since 2016 and who knows how it will be in the coming year.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2017
1051 posts
919 upvotes
Toronto
Stonehaven is also a nice area, got a friend that lives there with their family. However prices are reflective of that; you’d be lucky to get anything less than a million now in that area.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
7385 posts
3110 upvotes
East side of Yonge to be avoided (except the Main Street neighbourhood, some nice places there. And Main Street is actually quite nice). West side of Yonge is largely newer and nicer, though most of the lots are typical builder sized lots (small). Stay away from Huron Heights, no question. College Manor is a nice area.

As another poster mentioned, Stonehaven is great if you can afford the nicer part of it, but it's got a mix of towns and small detached that can be sketchy too.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
May 12, 2012
30 posts
4 upvotes
Richmond Hill
We purchased in the Shining hill development we are right next to Yonge and St. John.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
3233 posts
6183 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
senasena wrote: The main difference is size, Stouffville is much smaller than Newmarket and is a bit separated from everything, Stouffville also has rural area. Newmarket is closely connected with Aurora, and due to it’s size you have all the main stores such as Costco, Home Depot, more restaurants, cineplex etc, Stouffville doesn’t have it. Both have Go train connection if you wand to go DT, driving to Toronto is actually better from Stouffville, from Newmarket you have very little choice, it’s 404, and unless you are going to the west side via 400, or not much else, from Stouffville you can hit 9th line or many other streets to 407 or down to Scarborough, 404 is also an option.
Schools are comparable (average).
Good context, working both of these areas one thing worth noting is on average the demographics of people/education/$$$ appears to be a lot better on average in Stouffville than in Newmarket. Newmarket is very much hit or miss, where Stouffville I find is consistently solid and that's just talking about subdivision Stouffville. Once we start talking Estate/Rural Stouffville, it's VERY affluent.

The rental issue in the old areas of Newmarket is a real problem, this is why investors love Newmarket as it's one of the most renter friendly municipality, similar to Brampton. Basement apartments for days.
RE Broker

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)