• Mar 26th, 2024 9:55 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
6145 posts
3614 upvotes
Toronto
You might need to use CLR rather than WD40.
If using vise grips incrementally adjust it until they just grip.
Dec 3, 2019
696 posts
680 upvotes
Ontario
Capping Refrigerator Water Line.

I have 1/4 inch (I think) water line running to my refrigerator I would like capped.

I understand they do not make 1/4 inch caps?

Is the best way to solder a fitting and screw on a cap to the fitting?
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17374 upvotes
Markham
chimaican wrote: My faucet is leaking and I'm trying to remove the silver ring that holds in the cartridge, but it's siezed. I've tried to use as much elbow grease as possible with some rubber meshing but it won't budge (twist). Any ideas?
When this was on sale, I told ppl to buy it because it's useful for gripping stuff that's difficult to grip and turn.

Strap wrench

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mast ... ml?loc=plp
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19239 posts
17866 upvotes
GTA, ON
gr8dlr wrote: When this was on sale, I told ppl to buy it because it's useful for gripping stuff that's difficult to grip and turn.

Strap wrench

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mast ... ml?loc=plp
That looks useful. I'll try the vise grips first, hopefully without damaging the ring.

I just realized how much I hate this faucet. No one sells single hole tub faucets. So even replacement would be difficult. Why the heck did the builder install this type of soaker tub? Every fixture I see tends to be for three hole tubs.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Dec 21, 2020
946 posts
822 upvotes
chimaican wrote: Why the heck did the builder install this type of soaker tub? Every fixture I see tends to be for three hole tubs.
Because it was probably the cheapest thing they could get a the time.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17374 upvotes
Markham
ROYinTO wrote: Looks like you could also use it on difficult jars (jams, pickles) too. 1 for the jar, 1 for the lid.
No more asking to get a hand.
For sure it's good for jars. It's good on anything you can't grip or unscrew it can work on. Worth the sale $10 price I paid.

Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17374 upvotes
Markham
chimaican wrote: That looks useful. I'll try the vise grips first, hopefully without damaging the ring.

I just realized how much I hate this faucet. No one sells single hole tub faucets. So even replacement would be difficult. Why the heck did the builder install this type of soaker tub? Every fixture I see tends to be for three hole tubs.
Vice grips can and will damage as it needs to bite into the item.

Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19239 posts
17866 upvotes
GTA, ON
gr8dlr wrote: Vice grips can and will damage as it needs to bite into the item.
Unfortunately nothing works. 🤷
Because the ring is dome shaped nothing will grip onto it. It just slides off. I tried putting a rubber band on it but it too slides off before either the plumbers wrench or vise grips can grab on. I might have to go at it perpendicularly with two smaller vise grips grabbing over the lip.
At this point, I think damage is inevitable, because if I can't get the ring off to get to the cartridge, I'll have no choice but to replace the entire faucet.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17374 upvotes
Markham
chimaican wrote: Unfortunately nothing works. 🤷
Because the ring is dome shaped nothing will grip onto it. It just slides off. I tried putting a rubber band on it but it too slides off before either the plumbers wrench or vise grips can grab on. I might have to go at it perpendicularly with two smaller vise grips grabbing over the lip.
At this point, I think damage is inevitable, because if I can't get the ring off to get to the cartridge, I'll have no choice but to replace the entire faucet.
Get that boa strap wrench and try it...it will give you a lot more leverage than the vice grip.

Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19239 posts
17866 upvotes
GTA, ON
gr8dlr wrote: Get that boa strap wrench and try it...it will give you a lot more leverage than the vice grip.
imo I think it will also slide off. The ring is curved so any type of strapping won't get a good grip.

Shoot man, anyone have any suggestions where I could get a replacement faucet? The only single hole faucets that keep coming up on Google searches are free-standing, none are deck mounted. What other option is there? Hire someone to drill two additional holes so I can get a standard three-hole faucet?
Images
  • 20221117_114540.jpg
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
6145 posts
3614 upvotes
Toronto
chimaican wrote: imo I think it will also slide off. The ring is curved so any type of strapping won't get a good grip.

Shoot man, anyone have any suggestions where I could get a replacement faucet? The only single hole faucets that keep coming up on Google searches are free-standing, none are deck mounted. What other option is there? Hire someone to drill two additional holes so I can get a standard three-hole faucet?
I see a lip on the inside of the top piece. Any way to get a grip on that?

Try searching directly at homedepot.ca
Search for "bathroom sink faucet".
I see quite a few.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19239 posts
17866 upvotes
GTA, ON
ROYinTO wrote: I see a lip on the inside of the top piece. Any way to get a grip on that?

Try searching directly at homedepot.ca
Search for "bathroom sink faucet".
I see quite a few.
This is for a soaker tub. The faucet is much larger than that of a sink.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
6145 posts
3614 upvotes
Toronto
chimaican wrote: This is for a soaker tub. The faucet is much larger than that of a sink.
Who made the existing one?
That might be a good start.
Dec 3, 2019
696 posts
680 upvotes
Ontario
Capping Refrigerator Water Line.

I have 1/4 inch (I think) water line running to my refrigerator I would like capped.

I understand they do not make 1/4 inch caps?

Is the best way to solder a fitting and screw on a cap to the fitting?
Aug 31, 2014
379 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Bumping this - this is exactly how much kitchen sink pipes look. I'm a bit confused about why we don't have a U pipe?

and of course, we now have a clog and there's no trap....
(tried baking soda/vinegar, hot water, auger, plunger -- all didn't work. Auger seem to go down about 7-8 ft?)
urbanknight wrote: Hi, this is how under the sink looks
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
Tsanger wrote: Bumping this - this is exactly how much kitchen sink pipes look. I'm a bit confused about why we don't have a U pipe?

and of course, we now have a clog and there's no trap....
(tried baking soda/vinegar, hot water, auger, plunger -- all didn't work. Auger seem to go down about 7-8 ft?)
Your p-trap will most likely be below the floor.
Aug 31, 2014
379 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto, ON
pootza wrote: Your p-trap will most likely be below the floor.
so like... behind the dry walls?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
6145 posts
3614 upvotes
Toronto
Tsanger wrote: Auger seem to go down about 7-8 ft?)
If you try using a snake for pulling wires you might be able to feel when it hits the P trap. That might give you a better idea of where it is located.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
Tsanger wrote: so like... behind the dry walls?
Whatever is below your floor.
Can you see the pipe where it goes? Or is it "behind the dry walls"?
Your p-trap will probably be on that pipe wherever it goes.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)