Anyone need Plumbing help or advice

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2024 9:55 pm
Tags:
None
May 7, 2017
422 posts
223 upvotes
pootza wrote: Something looks funky with that pipe in the picture ... like it's distorted ... maybe it froze at some point ... maybe it's the camera.
Does it? I'm not quite sure either. Could be the camera......
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Ginzasix wrote: Does it? I'm not quite sure either. Could be the camera......
Take another pic from a lower angle. Looks like there is a drop of solder on the bottom of the cinch ring (doesn't look like water) Possibly the original installer crimped the ring twice and thats what the "solder" mark is.
Mar 25, 2010
149 posts
99 upvotes
Ottawa
I have a 3 story house built in 90's on municipal services, water heater is in the basement. Here's our issue(s)

1. When you turn on any tap in the house, the hot water is instant and is in fact sometimes too hot and then after a few seconds it will get tolerable. The water pressure is quite strong.

2. If one tap is running anywhere in the house, any other tap will not get hot water for about a minute and then it will just be luke warm at best. When the second tap (any one in the house) is turned completely to hot, it starts to squeal.

3. When we run the washer which is also in the basement, when it initially is filling up with water, gets a high pitch squeal. This happens even if it is the only water that is running.

As far as I can tell there is no recirculating pump, so the pressure is forcing hot water to all taps. You would think it would cool down especially the ones on the second floor furthest away from the hot water tank but the hot water is instant. As convenient as this sounds, it does limit use to a single tap at a time.

Any ideas on what we can do or what the root cause is?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6675 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
Ginzasix wrote: Thank you so much for your help and the detail directions. It is extremely helpful, even if I end up getting a plumber to do it, at least I have an idea of how it can be done.

I thought about using a sharkbite push to connect fitting, do you think it's a good idea or just better stick with the crimp?

Thank you again!
If you're going to use a sharkbite fitting, you would need to still usr a PEX tube and crimp ring on the tee because you cannot connect a sharkbite fitting to a PEX tee. Unless you are considering replacing the PEX tee, that will introduce another bunch of questions like is there enough play in the pipes to connect them after the tee is removed. If it is inside a wall, I would stick with PEX.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
denbo30 wrote: Any ideas on what we can do or what the root cause is?
Most likely a problem with your thermostatic mixing valve if you have one. It would be located around your water heater.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6737 posts
3998 upvotes
Toronto
I have a bathroom with a small tub and small square shower stall back-to-back. The plumbing is all in the wall between the two (spout out to the tub side, shower to the shower side). What I want to do is take it all out and replace it with a large tub/shower combo, with the new longer tub using the drain that was previously the shower's drain. The dividing wall and everything in there would need to come down and be re-done further along. This is a condo so I'm more concerned about the plumbing aspect rather than anything cosmetic (if drains are in concrete etc.).

On a scale of "get it done already" to "absolute nightmare", how difficult does the plumbing aspect of this sound? Is it reasonably feasible?
May 7, 2017
422 posts
223 upvotes
batcave wrote: If you're going to use a sharkbite fitting, you would need to still usr a PEX tube and crimp ring on the tee because you cannot connect a sharkbite fitting to a PEX tee. Unless you are considering replacing the PEX tee, that will introduce another bunch of questions like is there enough play in the pipes to connect them after the tee is removed. If it is inside a wall, I would stick with PEX.
Ah I see. I initially thought I would have to change the tee fitting prior reading your msg because I didn't know I can remove the crimp from the tee.
I have never worked with pex before so I probably will call a plumber to do so.
Do you know around how much a job like this typically cost? The pipe is located on the ceiling. I have opened a small hole on the ceiling, I'm thinking they probably need to open up the ceiling more in order to fix it.
Thank you for taking the time to answer!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Ginzasix wrote: Ah I see. I initially thought I would have to change the tee fitting prior reading your msg because I didn't know I can remove the crimp from the tee.
Do you know around how much a job like this typically cost? The pipe is located on the ceiling. I have opened a small hole on the ceiling, I'm thinking they probably need to open up the ceiling more in order to fix it.
An actual plumber will have a pex crimper designed to work between joists, he won't need to open the hole up much-if at all. The plumber will also have a pex crimp ring removal tool. Cost will be whatever a service call is for that company, is there an independents truck in a driveway in your neighbourhood?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Ginzasix wrote: Ah I see. I initially thought I would have to change the tee fitting prior reading your msg because I didn't know I can remove the crimp from the tee.
An actual plumber will have a pex crimper designed to work between joists, he won't need to open the hole up much-if at all. The plumber will also have a pex crimp ring removal tool. Cost will be whatever a service call is for that company, is there an independents truck in a driveway in your neighbourhood?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6675 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
As Zamboni said, whatever the charge for a plumber is.

If I were to do this myself, I don't think it would take me more than 20 minutes. The tools and parts will be about $100. You can skip the removal tool if you have a Dremel with a cutting wheel. However, if you've not done it before, get the removal tool.
May 7, 2017
422 posts
223 upvotes
Zamboni wrote: An actual plumber will have a pex crimper designed to work between joists, he won't need to open the hole up much-if at all. The plumber will also have a pex crimp ring removal tool. Cost will be whatever a service call is for that company, is there an independents truck in a driveway in your neighbourhood?
Ah I see! I have not deal with pipes or plumber before so not sure about the rate. Having the information is very helpful indeed, thank you so much! I tried sending in pictures and getting quotes from plumbing companies but they all said they don't give quotes over emails as they will need to come look at it. I feel bad if they come and I say no to fixing it that's why I want to get a ballpark.

Hmm, not independent, but there is a Milani in the area. I personally don't know any independent plumber though, but am open to getting one if there's a good one.
May 7, 2017
422 posts
223 upvotes
batcave wrote: As Zamboni said, whatever the charge for a plumber is.

If I were to do this myself, I don't think it would take me more than 20 minutes. The tools and parts will be about $100. You can skip the removal tool if you have a Dremel with a cutting wheel. However, if you've not done it before, get the removal tool.
Thank you so much! That's really good to know around how long the job should take and how much the tools and part will be.
No, I don't have any of those. And I wonder how likely I will need to use these tools again. Probably best to get the professional to do it.
Thank you!
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
4117 posts
2267 upvotes
Toronto
Ginzasix wrote: Thank you so much! That's really good to know around how long the job should take and how much the tools and part will be.
No, I don't have any of those. And I wonder how likely I will need to use these tools again. Probably best to get the professional to do it.
Thank you!
When you're calling for quotes and they say they need to come in person. Ask them what their minimum charge is for and if it's for 30 or 60 mins. Any plumber can fix this within half an hour.
If there is enough extra in the leaking line, it's like a 10 minute fix.
May 7, 2017
422 posts
223 upvotes
Super_Chicken wrote: When you're calling for quotes and they say they need to come in person. Ask them what their minimum charge is for and if it's for 30 or 60 mins. Any plumber can fix this within half an hour.
If there is enough extra in the leaking line, it's like a 10 minute fix.
Thank you so much for this! I will be sure to ask about it.

One place replied and said there is an evaluation fee of $89 to send out a technician. If they end up doing the work then they will waive the $89. I mean I still don't know how much the whole thing will cost unless they come in person. I'll be out at least $89 if I end up not getting them to do the work.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
Ginzasix wrote: Thank you so much for this! I will be sure to ask about it.

One place replied and said there is an evaluation fee of $89 to send out a technician. If they end up doing the work then they will waive the $89. I mean I still don't know how much the whole thing will cost unless they come in person. I'll be out at least $89 if I end up not getting them to do the work.
Why would someone send out a tech and pay them for their time to quote some piddly-ass job that would take less than an hour to fix and not expect to be paid for that time?
May 7, 2017
422 posts
223 upvotes
pootza wrote: Why would someone send out a tech and pay them for their time to quote some piddly-ass job that would take less than an hour to fix and not expect to be paid for that time?
No, I agree that if they were to come even just for a quote they should be paid for that.

I'm just saying in the reply from the plumbing company that there's no way to find out how much is the rate for their techs, as they have only mentioned evaluation fee.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17374 upvotes
Markham
Ginzasix wrote: No, I agree that if they were to come even just for a quote they should be paid for that.

I'm just saying in the reply from the plumbing company that there's no way to find out how much is the rate for their techs, as they have only mentioned evaluation fee.
I think that $89 is equal to the first hour fee. If they can finish in one hour, you evaluation fee is the total cost. You could've asked them that.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2019
1228 posts
1020 upvotes
I have a builder installed Moen shower tub / shower unit about 10 years ago. I am planning to update it with another Moen unit.

Base on the attached Moen Q&A and the screws position, I am assuming it's the type 4 Posi-Temp Shower Valve. Is anything else I need to check to confirm it's a same valve?

Thanks in advance.

https://solutions.moen.com/Article_Libr ... 0operation.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
Sunway wrote: I have a builder installed Moen shower tub / shower unit about 10 years ago. I am planning to update it with another Moen unit.

Base on the attached Moen Q&A and the screws position, I am assuming it's the type 4 Posi-Temp Shower Valve. Is anything else I need to check to confirm it's a same valve?

Thanks in advance.

https://solutions.moen.com/Article_Libr ... 0operation.
The Type 3: Moentrol Shower Valve: Introduced 1976 has the screws in the same location.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17374 upvotes
Markham
I find these temperature balance knobs like Posi-temp cartridge/valve problematic over time because you never move em. Is it good practice to periodically turn em all the way one way and all the way the other way so nothing freezes? If you never turn that temp balance knob, I find it kind of starts to freeze up.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)