• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2024 9:55 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
FreeSpinnz wrote: Is there any difference between buying our fixtures for a bathroom remodel from home Depot vs a plumbing supply store?
If they are the same make and model number they will be the same fixture along with the same manufacturers warranty but the prices may vary from store to store.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2005
1144 posts
44 upvotes
pootza wrote: If they are the same make and model number they will be the same fixture along with the same manufacturers warranty but the prices may vary from store to store.
I figured. Thanks.

Now just need to let the wife find the things we need.
Nov 15, 2018
72 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
Hi Everyone,

I have a American Standard 4149a model 2 piece toilet in our powder room on the main floor. There are two issues we see

- When we flush it after one hour, we hear water dripping tipping sound. But dont see any leaks in the basement down below that
- I poured color in the above tank and I see the color coming in the toilet without flushing. I changed flush seal value(https://www.homedepot.ca/product/moen-f ... 1001704432) and I dont see any improvement.

Any suggestions on how to fix that please?
Images
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-02-14 at 5.19.26 PM.jpeg
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2016
1266 posts
683 upvotes
fieldhousehandyman wrote: Torch? They never leak for good reason.

you could try multiple cuts with an Olfa knife...
Thanks again for your help. I ended up cutting it. The valve had to be changed as well. It was the only way.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
3619 posts
175 upvotes
GTA
flapper
JogendarN34732 wrote: Hi Everyone,

I have a American Standard 4149a model 2 piece toilet in our powder room on the main floor. There are two issues we see

- When we flush it after one hour, we hear water dripping tipping sound. But dont see any leaks in the basement down below that
- I poured color in the above tank and I see the color coming in the toilet without flushing. I changed flush seal value(https://www.homedepot.ca/product/moen-f ... 1001704432) and I dont see any improvement.

Any suggestions on how to fix that please?
Dec 21, 2020
946 posts
822 upvotes
FreeSpinnz wrote: Is there any difference between buying our fixtures for a bathroom remodel from home Depot vs a plumbing supply store?
Yes and no. In general the stuff you find at Home Depot will be the cheaper lower quality stuff. Containing more plastics parts. The stuff you can get at a plumbing store will often be more expensive but will also often contain more metal/brass parts that should be more durable in the long term. A big factor to consider is that the cheap stuff (especially the off brand stuff on Amazon) might look good but may not last and break or leak easily. Also no name stuff would make it harder to find replacement parts in the future. Not a big deal for something like a faucet for the sink which can be easily replaced in the future. Much more important for things like the shower valve which would mean tearing down a wall to replace.
Jul 29, 2023
34 posts
17 upvotes
so i have a double sink kitchen and recently started clogging. we are usually very careful in what goes down the drain to keep the pipes clear.

out of no where it just started clogging, usually its a gradual indication but noticed that water will start filling up on the other side of the sink and just very very slowly drain. i have used drano and even clean out the p trap.

i have read that it could also be related to a blocked air vent - could it really be something blocked on the roof? we had a plumber come before we moved into the house and he suspected there is no air vent in the kitchen ( i dont know how percise his hypothesis about this was) but he did say that the other side of the sink is basically acting as an air vent.

what can i do from my end before i call a plumber? i dont know if i have enough space under teh kitchen to get an aav installed that can go higher than the sink if i truly dont have an air vented setup.

no other sinks in the house are having this issue. and im certain i have 2 air vents sticking out of the roof. are those 2 enough for (laundry, 3.5 washrooms)

thanks
Dec 21, 2020
946 posts
822 upvotes
raxtor2 wrote: so i have a double sink kitchen and recently started clogging. we are usually very careful in what goes down the drain to keep the pipes clear.

out of no where it just started clogging, usually its a gradual indication but noticed that water will start filling up on the other side of the sink and just very very slowly drain. i have used drano and even clean out the p trap.

i have read that it could also be related to a blocked air vent - could it really be something blocked on the roof? we had a plumber come before we moved into the house and he suspected there is no air vent in the kitchen ( i dont know how percise his hypothesis about this was) but he did say that the other side of the sink is basically acting as an air vent.

what can i do from my end before i call a plumber? i dont know if i have enough space under teh kitchen to get an aav installed that can go higher than the sink if i truly dont have an air vented setup.

no other sinks in the house are having this issue. and im certain i have 2 air vents sticking out of the roof. are those 2 enough for (laundry, 3.5 washrooms)

thanks
You probable have clog past the trap (if you cleaned it and confirmed all the pipes under the sink are clear). Before you got to the expense of installing an air vent that you may not need I would get the pipes into the wall and beyond snaked and scoped. A slow drain sounds like a clog not air issue. The lack of an air vent would most likely show itself as an empty trap instead.
Dec 21, 2020
946 posts
822 upvotes
Contact manufacturer for replacement part (for the plastic part sticking out of the wall that small bit broke off from). Then remove the handle arm (unscrew) and loosen the grub screw inside through the handle arm hole to remove the plastic piece. Them once you replace the broken plastic part, reinstall handle (first grub screw then handle arm).
Dec 12, 2005
984 posts
398 upvotes
Richmond
RCLapCar wrote: Contact manufacturer for replacement part (for the plastic part sticking out of the wall that small bit broke off from). Then remove the handle arm (unscrew) and loosen the grub screw inside through the handle arm hole to remove the plastic piece. Them once you replace the broken plastic part, reinstall handle (first grub screw then handle arm).
Do you know who is the manufacturer? Contacted Standard American, thinking it's theirs as the toilet and sink has the name but they say no. I was then directed to Riobel but they say it's not theirs.
Dec 21, 2020
946 posts
822 upvotes
ai_c wrote: Do you know who is the manufacturer? Contacted Standard American, thinking it's theirs as the toilet and sink has the name but they say no. I was then directed to Riobel but they say it's not theirs.
I don't know who that manufacturer is. You might need to disassemble it and take the part to a plumbing store to see if they can find a match.
Jan 29, 2005
513 posts
165 upvotes
Hi folks,

Planning to replace the bathroom vanity and sink and studying the current plumbing in place.
I'm trying to determine the size of the pipes and the type and I'd appreciate some help - here's a photo:
PXL_20240317_000440158.MP-EDIT (1).jpg
The ABS piping is labeled with 1 1/4" - so I'm assuming the interior diameter of these pipes is 1 1/4".
There is a pipe in the wall which is white (which makes me wonder if it's PVC). I'm not sure what diameter the inside of it is. My rough guess of the outer diameter of the ABS pipe entering it is 1 3/4 inches (sorry no measurement caliper).
Can anyone confirm if this is a PVC to ABS connection and what the inner diameter of the white pipe is?

Even if I knew the diameter of the pipe in wall, I'm not sure how difficult it is to actually remove the abs pipe in it as it's glued in. My eventual goal is to connect a 1.5" PVC Ikea drain (https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/raennilen- ... -50422413/) to this, so I'm considering cutting off the abs pipe a few inches from the wall and getting a 1.5" to 1.25" adapter. The Ikea setup requires a pretty compact arrangement, so it may not be possible to fit an adapter in there. This is why I'm trying to understand what's going on in here before taking things apart :)

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 22, 2003
6429 posts
2211 upvotes
Looking for a plumber in Markham/Thornhill/North York to help me with condo plumbing issue
1) Clog I can't snake myself
2) Cut, solder and replace brass p-trap

Does anyone have any recommended plumber or contractor for this? thank you!
Dec 9, 2013
75 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
edbert wrote: Hi folks,

Planning to replace the bathroom vanity and sink and studying the current plumbing in place.
I'm trying to determine the size of the pipes and the type and I'd appreciate some help - here's a photo:

PXL_20240317_000440158.MP-EDIT (1).jpg

The ABS piping is labeled with 1 1/4" - so I'm assuming the interior diameter of these pipes is 1 1/4".
There is a pipe in the wall which is white (which makes me wonder if it's PVC). I'm not sure what diameter the inside of it is. My rough guess of the outer diameter of the ABS pipe entering it is 1 3/4 inches (sorry no measurement caliper).
Can anyone confirm if this is a PVC to ABS connection and what the inner diameter of the white pipe is?

Even if I knew the diameter of the pipe in wall, I'm not sure how difficult it is to actually remove the abs pipe in it as it's glued in. My eventual goal is to connect a 1.5" PVC Ikea drain (https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/raennilen- ... -50422413/) to this, so I'm considering cutting off the abs pipe a few inches from the wall and getting a 1.5" to 1.25" adapter. The Ikea setup requires a pretty compact arrangement, so it may not be possible to fit an adapter in there. This is why I'm trying to understand what's going on in here before taking things apart :)

Thanks!
It’s abs in the wall, it’s just painted. The ikea sinks have 4” behind the drawers to fit the drainage. The easiest thing to do would be to cut off and replace the abs p-trap as close to the wall as possible and swing the trap parallel with the wall. 1-1/4” abs isn’t often used anymore and will be significantly more expensive and more scarce than 1-1/2”.
You won’t have enough room to use the ikea trap, you’ll only be able to use the sink drain portion. You’re going to either have to use an 1-1/2” trap an 1-1/4” bushing with an 1-1/2” trap adapter (against code) , or an 1-1/4” trap, an 1-1/2” trap adapter with an 1-1/4” bushing (also against code).