• Nov 15th, 2020 11:31 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4461 posts
943 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Once I've drilled the hole for the frost free hose and sealed the outside with silicone, what's a good way to seal the from the inside for air leakage? Low density foam? Or leave it?
May 21, 2018
52 posts
4 upvotes
Red_Army wrote: Sounds like the toilet drain wasn’t vented which is causing the siphoning, but there could also be backfall on the drain. If it ties into the same line as the upstairs and the upstairs works fine it’s likely because it has more of a vertical drop/push. Have someone flush the upstairs toilet while you watch the water in the bowl downstairs and see if there is fluctuation
Did the flush test and all I noticed was a very very minor fluctuation in the water sitting in bowl. Does this reveal anything? Also should have mentioned that the utility sink beside the very old top load laundry in the basement fills up during the spin cycle. First time I saw it I panicked thinking it was going to overflow. The water also drains eventually. Thanks in advance
Jun 10, 2015
37 posts
2 upvotes
Canada, ON
I’m in a condo and doing a full bathroom reno.

The shower (only one) is going to stay the same with the alcove tub and shower set up. It had the standard builder basic pressure valve and then if you want the water for the tub, you pull that tab on the spot. But it’s 2019 and we want to modernize it ...

Everything on the market is thermostatic / pressure balance now, or at least the really nice kits in a nice finish.

Any advice for a condo with installing a thermostatic set up? We also want to make it a 3 way so we want to add the shower wand as well. Right now, we have our eye on a Riobel kit - they seem to have great reviews and easy to get replacement parts.

Getting mixed messages about a thermo set up like that in a condo. I’ve emailed the board to see if I’m allowed.

Any thoughts? Or should I just keep it basic and build out a moen or delta set up to a three way and forget this thermostatic set up?

I don’t want to be a hero and this back fires on me when I should keep it simple ... given that it’s a condo.

Condo has Kitec but we are having it all replaced of course.

Thanks!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5115 posts
2529 upvotes
movefast wrote: I’m in a condo and doing a full bathroom reno.

The shower (only one) is going to stay the same with the alcove tub and shower set up. It had the standard builder basic pressure valve and then if you want the water for the tub, you pull that tab on the spot. But it’s 2019 and we want to modernize it ...

Everything on the market is thermostatic / pressure balance now, or at least the really nice kits in a nice finish.

Any advice for a condo with installing a thermostatic set up? We also want to make it a 3 way so we want to add the shower wand as well. Right now, we have our eye on a Riobel kit - they seem to have great reviews and easy to get replacement parts.

Getting mixed messages about a thermo set up like that in a condo. I’ve emailed the board to see if I’m allowed.

Any thoughts? Or should I just keep it basic and build out a moen or delta set up to a three way and forget this thermostatic set up?

I don’t want to be a hero and this back fires on me when I should keep it simple ... given that it’s a condo.

Condo has Kitec but we are having it all replaced of course.

Thanks!
Thermostatic, you won’t regret it
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2011
1071 posts
369 upvotes
Mississauga
movefast wrote: Any thoughts? Or should I just keep it basic and build out a moen or delta set up to a three way and forget this thermostatic set up?
I went thermostatic and would never go pressure balance again. Keep in mind not all thermostatic's are the same and some brands claim they're thermostatic because they have a separate volume and temperature control but they're not as the valve that senses temperature works on the pressure balance system, therefore it doesn't sense temperature.

When you talk about 3 way, I'll assume you're referring to a diverter valve, is so they operate one fixture or multi fixtures at a time. What you want will depend on personal preference and flow rate of your pressure balance/thermostatic valve.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5115 posts
2529 upvotes
Fnyguy wrote: Did the flush test and all I noticed was a very very minor fluctuation in the water sitting in bowl. Does this reveal anything? Also should have mentioned that the utility sink beside the very old top load laundry in the basement fills up during the spin cycle. First time I saw it I panicked thinking it was going to overflow. The water also drains eventually. Thanks in advance
I’d recommend that you have your main line camera inspected.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6515 posts
2070 upvotes
GTA
Fnyguy wrote: Did the flush test and all I noticed was a very very minor fluctuation in the water sitting in bowl. Does this reveal anything? Also should have mentioned that the utility sink beside the very old top load laundry in the basement fills up during the spin cycle. First time I saw it I panicked thinking it was going to overflow. The water also drains eventually. Thanks in advance
Did you clean the P trap under the utility sink?....if its been awhile probably full of lint and crap.
May 21, 2018
52 posts
4 upvotes
Zamboni wrote: Did you clean the P trap under the utility sink?....if its been awhile probably full of lint and crap.
Yes it’s clean. In fact it was the first place I made sure to check. I can see the water start to drain. About 10 seconds into draining cycle I can see the pipe fill up then start to back up into the utility sink. I’ve got an older style top load washer (drum fills completely with water) so there is a ton of water that’s getting unloaded into the drain at once. It does eventually drain but I do suspect a partial clog or venting issue. This house was built in 1891 and has undergone some renovations according to the previous owner. Wether they were done properly is yet to be discovered.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2003
1430 posts
317 upvotes
GTA
I have quite a lot of water in the crawlspace of my basement (it's a backsplit so the crawlspace is quite large). I have already had two visits from water "restoration" companies to remove the water but it keeps coming back and they say they don't troubleshoot water leaks they just do cleanup. Who should I call to diagnose this. I know the furnace is partially to blame (humidifier or condenser) because when I turned it off the water flow was significantly lower but has not stopped altogether. Do I call a plumber for this or an engineer or one of the water proofing companies? We have been without heat for 2 days and it is getting colder now so I want to figure this out. I don't even know if they will be able to do anything if it is winter. Someone please help!!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6515 posts
2070 upvotes
GTA
cofh wrote: I know the furnace is partially to blame (humidifier or condenser) because when I turned it off the water flow was significantly lower but has not stopped altogether.

We have been without heat for 2 days and it is getting colder now so I want to figure this out.
Start by disconnecting the humidifier if its drain hose is running into the crawl space and not connected to a drain. You can run the furnace without humidifier till this is fixed. Could even be furnace room floor drain is dumping water into the crawl space. So from above all looks good, humidifier discharge drain runs into floor drain as does condensate pump....but below the floor drain is uncoupled or never was attached to a drain pipe. A good hvac guy could help but it sounds more likely a plumber is required.
So all the "water restoration companies" did was put a utility pump in the crawl space for 20 minutes?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2003
1430 posts
317 upvotes
GTA
Zamboni wrote: Start by disconnecting the humidifier if its drain hose is running into the crawl space and not connected to a drain. You can run the furnace without humidifier till this is fixed. Could even be furnace room floor drain is dumping water into the crawl space. So from above all looks good, humidifier discharge drain runs into floor drain as does condensate pump....but below the floor drain is uncoupled or never was attached to a drain pipe. A good hvac guy could help but it sounds more likely a plumber is required.
So all the "water restoration companies" did was put a utility pump in the crawl space for 20 minutes?

Pretty much. No damages to the living space or water so they were happy to charge me emergency rates and remove water that came back anyway. Said I need to contact a waterproofing company or a plumber. :(
Aug 31, 2012
491 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
I would start with a plumber. I think it would be cheaper to troubleshoot.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5115 posts
2529 upvotes
cofh wrote: I have quite a lot of water in the crawlspace of my basement (it's a backsplit so the crawlspace is quite large). I have already had two visits from water "restoration" companies to remove the water but it keeps coming back and they say they don't troubleshoot water leaks they just do cleanup. Who should I call to diagnose this. I know the furnace is partially to blame (humidifier or condenser) because when I turned it off the water flow was significantly lower but has not stopped altogether. Do I call a plumber for this or an engineer or one of the water proofing companies? We have been without heat for 2 days and it is getting colder now so I want to figure this out. I don't even know if they will be able to do anything if it is winter. Someone please help!!!!!
I would call in a plumber for this, at the very least they should be able to determine or rule out whether or not the water is related to a plumbing or foundation issue. It could also be related to the HVAC/condensate but a good plumber should be able to narrow it down at least
Jan 2, 2009
149 posts
35 upvotes
Ontario
I recently moved to my new 2 storeys home, and I noticed very loud noise whenever we take shower. The noise sounds like a high pressured water gushing through pipes. It's so loud that I could hear it on the main floor when someone takes shower either on the 2nd floor or basement. I am wondering if it is something that requires major job to fix it.