• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2020 8:46 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 13, 2013
91 posts
27 upvotes
Ottawa
Red_Army wrote: There no way to tell unless you know how it’s laid out underground. You have a max 135 degrees change if direction before it ties into the 2” wet vent (which they could already be at max. The only other option is to offset the Fixture Outlet but you’ll probably end up too high
Hi Red Army,

Thank you for the quick reply. I guess i do not have a choice but to break up the concrete all the way to the spot where it ties into the 2" wet vent to see how it is laid out underground.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5115 posts
2531 upvotes
eroci7 wrote: Hi Red Army,

Thank you for the quick reply. I guess i do not have a choice but to break up the concrete all the way to the spot where it ties into the 2" wet vent to see how it is laid out underground.
Based on the pics you posted before I’d guess they used no more than 1 , 45 degree fitting from the 2x11/2” wye
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Sep 13, 2013
91 posts
27 upvotes
Ottawa
Red_Army wrote: Based on the pics you posted before I’d guess they used no more than 1 , 45 degree fitting from the 2x11/2” wye
I am starting to think the same. I tried to look at some new builds that are underway to get a idea or see if i can bump into the plumbing crew, but none are at this stage (would only provide an rough idea anyway). I emailed the service manager to see if he could provide some information.

I don't mind renting the demolition hammer again, but if i could avoid it, it would be wonderful.

I guess, for now, i can add an elbow (maybe 22.5-degree) from the drain leading to centered p-trap + riser in the red dotted area.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1159 posts
416 upvotes
Am in the process of getting the basement redone and the exterior hose faucets need to get replaced as they leak. I was going to get the contractor to replace the exterior faucet and install a new shutoff valve on the inside, but the shutoff valve will be in the new bathroom right next to the shower stall, so instead of having it there, he suggested we just install a frost free valve, but I've been hearing issues with them long term. If I put in a frost free valve, does that eliminate the need for a manual shutoff?

You can see the hose going out to the exterior wall in this picture and the shutoff valve on the left there.
PXL_20201019_180619779.jpg
PXL_20200918_135545103.jpg
Should I get him to NOT use a frost free valve and rework the plumbing so that the shutoff is outside the bathroom? The plumbing there is kinda crazy and the feeds go up into the kitchen sink which will be relocated when the kitchen is redone.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5115 posts
2531 upvotes
exrcoupe wrote: Am in the process of getting the basement redone and the exterior hose faucets need to get replaced as they leak. I was going to get the contractor to replace the exterior faucet and install a new shutoff valve on the inside, but the shutoff valve will be in the new bathroom right next to the shower stall, so instead of having it there, he suggested we just install a frost free valve, but I've been hearing issues with them long term. If I put in a frost free valve, does that eliminate the need for a manual shutoff?

You can see the hose going out to the exterior wall in this picture and the shutoff valve on the left there.

PXL_20201019_180619779.jpg

PXL_20200918_135545103.jpg

Should I get him to NOT use a frost free valve and rework the plumbing so that the shutoff is outside the bathroom? The plumbing there is kinda crazy and the feeds go up into the kitchen sink which will be relocated when the kitchen is redone.
“Frost free” hose bibs still require an interior shutoff. That shutoff does not require a drain bleeder cap that standard hose bibs require. The shutoff does not have to be as close as possible to where the pipe exits the house as standard hose bibs do.

If you do relocate the shutoff, don’t install it in the Same manner as pictured. There’s no way to properly drain that line. Install it on the same horizontal as the pipe it is serving and slope that pipe to the outside bib
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5115 posts
2531 upvotes
eroci7 wrote: I am starting to think the same. I tried to look at some new builds that are underway to get a idea or see if i can bump into the plumbing crew, but none are at this stage (would only provide an rough idea anyway). I emailed the service manager to see if he could provide some information.

I don't mind renting the demolition hammer again, but if i could avoid it, it would be wonderful.

I guess, for now, i can add an elbow (maybe 22.5-degree) from the drain leading to centered p-trap + riser in the red dotted area.
I’d cut as far back as I can and install a 45, and swing the trap to the desired cross hair
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1159 posts
416 upvotes
Red_Army wrote: “Frost free” hose bibs still require an interior shutoff. That shutoff does not require a drain bleeder cap that standard hose bibs require. The shutoff does not have to be as close as possible to where the pipe exits the house as standard hose bibs do.

If you do relocate the shutoff, don’t install it in the Same manner as pictured. There’s no way to properly drain that line. Install it on the same horizontal as the pipe it is serving and slope that pipe to the outside bib
Oh, I see what you mean. Whoever installed the shutoff valve and had it go upwards and bend to go out of the house is an idiot. No way to drain that and if it froze, that'd be were it'd be. Sigh.. one stupid thing after another with this house,
Nov 11, 2006
898 posts
392 upvotes
Hi,

We bought a home recently...and I'm looking at some of the images from the inspection report.

House was built in 2001 and it's located in Central Oakville, south of QEW, and slightly norther of Lakeshore.

I posted a handful of images below.

Two images show a green pipe in the ground which takes in water from the downspout. I am not sure why the green pipe is not deeper in the ground and why it's not below the frost line. Is this normal for houses built during this time period? If it's a possible issue, how should I resolve it? I'm worried when I mow the lawn in this area that I might accidentally destroy the pipe with the cutting blades.

The other images are of my water meter and two other items next to it. What are the other two items to the left of the water meter? It looks like a water filtration system of some sort, perhaps? How are these maintained? LOL...sorry, this is the first time I've bought a resale home so I haven't got a clue.
Images
  • DSCF1266.JPG
  • DSCF1273.JPG
  • DSCF1297.JPG
  • DSCF1299.JPG
  • DSCF1300.JPG
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5115 posts
2531 upvotes
CanRulez wrote: Hi,

We bought a home recently...and I'm looking at some of the images from the inspection report.

House was built in 2001 and it's located in Central Oakville, south of QEW, and slightly norther of Lakeshore.

I posted a handful of images below.

Two images show a green pipe in the ground which takes in water from the downspout. I am not sure why the green pipe is not deeper in the ground and why it's not below the frost line. Is this normal for houses built during this time period? If it's a possible issue, how should I resolve it? I'm worried when I mow the lawn in this area that I might accidentally destroy the pipe with the cutting blades.

The other images are of my water meter and two other items next to it. What are the other two items to the left of the water meter? It looks like a water filtration system of some sort, perhaps? How are these maintained? LOL...sorry, this is the first time I've bought a resale home so I haven't got a clue.

First image is a makeshift down spout diversion most likely done by the homeowner . (No advice for you here other than if you’re worried about it to buy an extension and drain it directly to the lawn

The second pic is a whole home water filter. This specific filter was discontinued over 10 years ago because the among the granulated carbon , it contained silver impregnated media. Silver
Is considered toxic and the system should be removed at some point. The valve system in place is bypassing this filter system so there no big hurry to have it removed or replaced
Nov 11, 2006
898 posts
392 upvotes
Red_Army wrote: First image is a makeshift down spout diversion most likely done by the homeowner . (No advice for you here other than if you’re worried about it to buy an extension and drain it directly to the lawn

The second pic is a whole home water filter. This specific filter was discontinued over 10 years ago because the among the granulated carbon , it contained silver impregnated media. Silver
Is considered toxic and the system should be removed at some point. The valve system in place is bypassing this filter system so there no big hurry to have it removed or replaced
Thanks for your expert advice. So since the water is bypassing the water filter system, I can just leave that alone....drinking the water from the tap is safe? I supposed I should still use a Brita filter, right?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5115 posts
2531 upvotes
CanRulez wrote: Thanks for your expert advice. So since the water is bypassing the water filter system, I can just leave that alone....drinking the water from the tap is safe? I supposed I should still use a Brita filter, right?
Yes it’s most likely perfectly fine. Silver Landed on the EPA’s (usa) toxic pesticides list as long term ingestion of silver may cause argyria in humans and animals, this effect is cosmetic only and is not harmful to health.

The company who makes that filter was American, which is why it was discontinued. The company no longer exists either
Apr 24, 2018
16 posts
1 upvote
Hi Red_Army,

I recently noticed that the water is leaking from the kitchen faucet (even when it's turned off) where I indicated with a red arrow.
Can you please advise how I should go about fixing this? Thanks in advance.
Kitchen faucet leaking.png
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5115 posts
2531 upvotes
jhmlim wrote: Hi Red_Army,

I recently noticed that the water is leaking from the kitchen faucet (even when it's turned off) where I indicated with a red arrow.
Can you please advise how I should go about fixing this? Thanks in advance.

Kitchen faucet leaking.png
Remove the red tab, this will expose a screw that can be removed with an appropriate sized Allen key. This will allow you to remove the handle to access the cartridge/retaining nut. It could just be that the retaining but is loose, but it could also be leaking from the cartridge itself. You won’t know until you get a closer look
Sep 11, 2011
619 posts
697 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone recommend a deep water well driller in the Midland, ON area? Or, any suggestions on what to look for in a contractor do to the job?

Finally, how long does this job typically take? I’m certain it’s heavily based on the terrain but just wondering if it’s a few days to weeks from start-end.

Thank you in advanced and my apologies if this is the wrong thread to ask in!
Aug 29, 2019
613 posts
259 upvotes
Do you know if spray foam is safe around abs, pvc and pex pipes? I see the box store products like great stuff and dap recommended as a gap filler around plumbing pipes. The general information I could find is not using it on pex because of expansion the pipe will pull away from the foam over time, but I'm more concerned if there could be some kind of reaction that could deteriorate the abs, pvc or pex that you know of.

In this link there's a video showing the product used on a variety of pipes including abs and pvc.
https://www.lepage.ca/en/lepage-product ... racks.html