• Nov 28th, 2020 8:46 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1020 upvotes
Toronto
Maymybonneliveforever wrote: First off that deserves a "thanks" from me for the great reply. I had to do a double take since I have another hitman on ignore based on racist remarks and wondered how your message could be seen. It quickly became evident that you seem to be much more educated then the one I have on ignore.

Onto the topic at hand.
I did a search on pressure drop activated and got very few details or recomendations on models, is there a chance you can suggest some? As for the code recomendation, if I understand correctly can I define "a mechanical way for water to refill. to be via opening up the faucet by hand. If so then there is no reason by code to have a trap primer?

mechanical is my own way of describing, it's not described that way in the code book,
I mean not just pouring water from a bucket
The 3 ways that are code for residential i have already listed
http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/PPP- ... 22/Cat/776
I've never had problems with PPP
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1076 upvotes
Mississauga
gheart008 wrote: So I'll be framing the wall with the existing plumbing to the ceiling and I want to convert it to a two piece shower + tub, so obviously I'll need to tap into the existing copper pipes and run a pipe up the wall to the shower head location.
These days there are normally two types of valving used in modern bathrooms, pressure balance and thermostatic valves. Both will have hot and cold supply inlets and tub and shower outlets. If you only have the tub connected then the secondarly outlet would have been capped. All you need to do is connect both and you're set, one up to the showerhead and the second to a diverter spout for the tub.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1076 upvotes
Mississauga
hitman_24 wrote: By mechanical, I mean not just pouring water from a bucket
The 3 ways that are code for residential are listed
Without trying to define your answer, simply put....it sounds as though (by code) I do need a trap primer in the laundry room in Ontario...........correct. Whether it be part of the faucet rough in or externally via the one mentioned by hook up to one of the supply lines.

"Thanks" again Hitman.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1020 upvotes
Toronto
Maymybonneliveforever wrote: Without trying to define your answer, simply put....it sounds as though (by code) I do need a trap primer in the laundry room in Ontario...........correct. Whether it be part of the faucet rough in or externally via the one mentioned by hook up to one of the supply lines.

"Thanks" again Hitman.

But you don't, like I said it can come from a toilet. Code just states hat you need the trap to be primed.
Also the continuous flow, or pressure drop primers are installed in line horizontally within manufacturers recommended distance of a cold supplied plumbing fixture, it technically does not have to be under a sink, it just has to be accessible

I was simply informing that the most common place for a primer line will be be from the laundry faucet as like I said almost all laundry faucets already have the adapter to accommodate this
Typically the only instances where they don't use it from the laundry is when laundry is on the second floor
Hope this helps
Sep 13, 2011
997 posts
145 upvotes
Maymybonneliveforever wrote: Ok, now I have a question:

I want to hook up a single mount or a 4" center mount faucet below in my laundry room sink but the faucet is not set up to connect the existing "trap primer" hose/line, any ideas on how to incorporate it.

[IMG]http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/kjc/12 ... k6_20.jpeg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/kjc/12 ... 51_20.jpeg[/IMG]
that's the exact same faucet we install in the restaurants we work for. what we usually do is we drill a hole in the back of the faucet and solder in a 3/8 female thread- 3/8 solder fitting and run 3/8 to the header and 1/4 out of the header. so that way every time the faucet is turned on a little water goes to primers. for us that way its a lot cheaper than buying the ppp primer valve. the only time we used a primer valve was when we had to prime more then 5 traps/hub drains
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1076 upvotes
Mississauga
hitman_24 wrote: But you don't, like I said it can come from a toilet. Code just states hat you need the trap to be primed.
I'm still somewhat confused but it would make sence that if I already have an existing primer line hook up to a laundry room faucet that I utilize that primer line. If not than I am confused.
gotrice wrote: that's the exact same faucet we install in the restaurants we work for. what we usually do is we drill a hole in the back of the faucet and solder in a 3/8 female thread- 3/8 solder fitting and run 3/8 to the header and 1/4 out of the header. so that way every time the faucet is turned on a little water goes to primers. for us that way its a lot cheaper than buying the ppp primer valve. the only time we used a primer valve was when we had to prime more then 5 traps/hub drains
That is a T&S faucet used in comercial kitchens therefore I'm sure it is the exact same one. I can obtain 8", 4" and single so doing it your way would save a bit of money for the external trap primer but I'm not sure how you would sweat a 3/8" copper female threat into a chrome plated brass fixture without any future leaks? If anything I would have though you would have drilled a 3/8" hole and thread a 3/8" male fitting but you only have one try at it.

I can't quite picture it, but thanks for bringing it to my attention.

"Thanks" to both of you.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1020 upvotes
Toronto
Maymybonneliveforever wrote: I'm still somewhat confused but it would make sence that if I already have an existing primer line hook up to a laundry room faucet that I utilize that primer line. If not than I am confused.

You are confused because you speaking in general terms pertaining to code, So that is how I answered.
If you really are only referring to you specific situation, it only makes sense to utilize the current piping running to the floor drain which is in your laundry room
However, if you plan on installing a mechanical primer, you will have to run a new pipe! Because 1/4" will not be sufficient
Hope this helps
Sep 13, 2011
997 posts
145 upvotes
Maymybonneliveforever wrote: I'm still somewhat confused but it would make sence that if I already have an existing primer line hook up to a laundry room faucet that I utilize that primer line. If not than I am confused.
That is a T&S faucet used in comercial kitchens therefore I'm sure it is the exact same one. I can obtain 8", 4" and single so doing it your way would save a bit of money for the external trap primer but I'm not sure how you would sweat a 3/8" copper female threat into a chrome plated brass fixture without any future leaks? If anything I would have though you would have drilled a 3/8" hole and thread a 3/8" male fitting but you only have one try at it.

I can't quite picture it, but thanks for bringing it to my attention.

"Thanks" to both of you.
we done it that way to all of the stores(10+) we worked on, never had a problem. you have to make sure you drill straight and drill a perfect sized hole.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1076 upvotes
Mississauga
hitman_24 wrote: If you really are only referring to you specific situation, it only makes sense to utilize the current piping running to the floor drain which is in your laundry room
However, if you plan on installing a mechanical primer, you will have to run a new pipe! Because 1/4" will not be sufficient
Hope this helps
Ok, this is where I got confused sine I wanted to run the existing 1/4" piping all the while installing a external mechanical primer since the new faucet doesn't come equipped with one.
gotrice wrote: we done it that way to all of the stores(10+) we worked on, never had a problem. you have to make sure you drill straight and drill a perfect sized hole.
If you ever get the chance, can you post a picture of your one of your modifications. I installed institutional kitchens for over 10 years sheet metal wise (kitchen equipment only as in set in place) and never came across a plumber who retro fit one of those pre-wash faucets to include a trap primer so it was new to me.

Drilling the right size hole is easy with a drill press, question is exactly where and how to sweat the fitting. Pictures are worth a thousand words. I'd really like to utilize that pre-rinse faucet in the laundry room.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1215 posts
619 upvotes
Oshawa
Maymybonneliveforever wrote: Ok, this is where I got confused sine I wanted to run the existing 1/4" piping all the while installing a external mechanical primer since the new faucet doesn't come equipped with one.
If you ever get the chance, can you post a picture of your one of your modifications. I installed institutional kitchens for over 10 years sheet metal wise (kitchen equipment only as in set in place) and never came across a plumber who retro fit one of those pre-wash faucets to include a trap primer so it was new to me.

Drilling the right size hole is easy with a drill press, question is exactly where and how to sweat the fitting. Pictures are worth a thousand words. I'd really like to utilize that pre-rinse faucet in the laundry room.

Firstly, no offence to gotrice personally but what he is suggesting is not only illegal per code 7.3.3.1 but its also a "hack" way of doing things. His company is simply to cheap to do things properly.

Also, PPP's (triple p's) are garbage and there are few inspectors around Toronto that will pass them. They simply do not work. Head to Noble Trade and pick up one of these .
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1076 upvotes
Mississauga
jonnyb wrote: Head to Noble Trade and pick up one of these .
In all the previous years of being involved with institutional kitchens I've never seen a plumber drill or modify any plumbing fixture per say but I had to see it to totally understand the concept.

jonny, that deserves a "thanks" by me.

They want over $100.00 for the Zurn Z1022 which is close to the cost of a low end laundry faucet with the trap primer line built in, but I really want to install this pre-rinse in the laundry room since it will aid in my projects.

According the the instructions I need to continue the 1/2" trap primer line to the drain: question....can I tap into the exisiting 1/4" existing trap primer line or do I need to continue 1/2" copper right to the drain in the basement?

To be honest, if it wasn't code, I would have capped the exisitng 1/4" line and not used it since the laundry gets used couple times a week. But........code rules all.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1020 upvotes
Toronto
Maymybonneliveforever wrote:
According the the instructions I need to continue the 1/2" trap primer line to the drain: question....can I tap into the exisiting 1/4" existing trap primer line or do I need to continue 1/2" copper right to the drain in the basement?
It needs to be 1/2" or water could spray from the vacuum ports
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1020 upvotes
Toronto
jonnyb wrote: Firstly, no offence to gotrice personally but what he is suggesting is not only illegal per code 7.3.3.1 but its also a "hack" way of doing things. His company is simply to cheap to do things properly.

Also, PPP's (triple p's) are garbage and there are few inspectors around Toronto that will pass them. They simply do not work. Head to Noble Trade and pick up one of these .
I completely agree with your first statement, however I do not agree with the second, In my 26 years experience I have never had an inspector NOT pass a PPP primer valve
Sep 13, 2011
997 posts
145 upvotes
jonnyb wrote: Firstly, no offence to gotrice personally but what he is suggesting is not only illegal per code 7.3.3.1 but its also a "hack" way of doing things. His company is simply to cheap to do things properly.

we have never got into any trouble with the inspectors using this method. including a store we did in yorkdale mall... im just trying to offer the poster a cheaper method
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4467 posts
945 upvotes
Richmond Hill
My external faucets are dripping despite me turning the valve extremely tight. Is this an easy DIY fix? I suppose it's the washer in the faucet that I need to replace?

thanks.