Shopping Discussion

Anyone notice this on Facebook marketplace?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2021 7:49 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2403 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto

Anyone notice this on Facebook marketplace?

Does anyone buy and sell on Facebook marketplace? I’ve noticed Facebook will ask the seller if so and so bought your item you’re selling and you have the option of saying “prefer not to answer” but if you choose this answer they will now go to the buyer and ask did you buy this item from so and so. They are very adamant about finding out who bought what from who and Everything is so tracky and weird now. Anyone notice this?
18 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
If you're worried about FB tracking you, you should delete your account and install facebook tracker block plugins.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12570 upvotes
Markham
I thought most people create a different account for market place?
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21699 posts
17373 upvotes
Markham
I'm going off topic in some respects and I'm going to do a bit of a "Rick Mercer rant" so don't take this the wrong way.

There really needs to be a conversation about the Internet and how it used to work, how it works today and how "we" want it to work in the future. Gov'ts should stay the hell out of it...I mean who are they to say that Facebook can't own Instagram, Whatsapp, Facebook etc.

At the end of the day, "we" get something and if "they" ie Facebook don't, they have to get it somehow else or they shut down the service, or they make it worse by running a lot more ads, or they charge for usage.

YouTube has resorted to a ton of more ads and creation of subscriptions models because of this.

The terms and conditions are there if anyone wants to read it Everyone is free to do as they please ie they don't have to use/visit any site/service if they don't like the terms and conditions. If "they" [Govts and special interest groups] don't like the terms and conditions, they have no right to dictate anything IMO.

Back to your question. In some respects does it really really matter?

Facebook wants to know if you bought because...
> perhaps they want to create a BST feedback system so that the bad ppl are gone/reduced
> they want to know what interests you ["you" might be a demographic, they might now be tracking your name] - they'll sell this info and you'll get more targeted ads
> Gov't wants to know who's selling and how much they make for tax purposes - I know CRA got info from Ebay for sellers.
>other reasons.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15212 posts
4404 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
smartie wrote: I thought most people create a different account for market place?
Personally, I don't see the point in this.

People like buying from Facebook because someone's name/profile is attached to it, so they can sniff you out before deciding to buy from you or not. If you've got a fake or empty profile, this defeats the purpose. (I'm not saying that a genuine Facebook profile makes a transaction any better, but it gives the perception that it does.)

If you want to be anonymous, save time and stick with the classified ads websites.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12570 upvotes
Markham
rabbit wrote: Personally, I don't see the point in this.

People like buying from Facebook because someone's name/profile is attached to it, so they can sniff you out before deciding to buy from you or not. If you've got a fake or empty profile, this defeats the purpose. (I'm not saying that a genuine Facebook profile makes a transaction any better, but it gives the perception that it does.)

If you want to be anonymous, save time and stick with the classified ads websites.
I don't know, I heard from my coworkers

But I don't necessarily think it's bad things. Why you want a stranger harass you in Facebook. There are different types people in Facebook and some people can never satisfied. I'd rather separate real friends from strangers

And as you said, the worst case scenario is you just treat it as kijiji
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1213 posts
867 upvotes
Ottawa
smartie wrote: I thought most people create a different account for market place?
Only scammers do this.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7137 upvotes
Kijiji started doing this but I'm pretty sure it's only the seller that gets this message - I now get it when I go to delete the ad - I'm fairly confident it's only for review purposes, which is a welcomed enhancement because before after 3 exchanges with a potential buyer they could post a review without having bought the items but still gave you the runaround - given all the kijijidiots this was a nightmare especially the low-ballers who expect free delivery when they're out of town an hour away :rolleyes:
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
8554 posts
5570 upvotes
Trudostan
smartie wrote: I don't know, I heard from my coworkers

But I don't necessarily think it's bad things. Why you want a stranger harass you in Facebook. There are different types people in Facebook and some people can never satisfied. I'd rather separate real friends from strangers

And as you said, the worst case scenario is you just treat it as kijiji
I feel the same way. While most of my interactions have been positive, there have been a few characters that I'm glad they don't know my name. At least with a cell number you can always change if it comes down to it, I wouldn't want a disgruntled or disturbed buyer throwing my name around or showing up at my workplace or an event I'm attending.

I also do not feel comfortable in letting some of my facebook contacts and family know what I'm selling, too many nosy judgemental people as it is. Stuff like "oh you're selling this, that's expensive, you must be doing very well" etc.

I would not bother making a fake profile, though some people I know still do the whole fake last name or using middle name as last name thing on facebook from long before marketplace.
SAMSUNG SUCKS! NO SSD WARRANTY IN CANADA > https://forums.redflagdeals.com/has-any ... d-2098075/
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15212 posts
4404 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
And a point totally wasted on some people :) . Oh well, at least one person got it.
Sep 9, 2007
377 posts
431 upvotes
Burlington
Facebook tracks your data usage even when you are offline.
They share it with different company.
You need to google it and turn it off.
The ads won’t appear.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21699 posts
17373 upvotes
Markham
hierophant wrote: Kijiji started doing this but I'm pretty sure it's only the seller that gets this message - I now get it when I go to delete the ad - I'm fairly confident it's only for review purposes, which is a welcomed enhancement because before after 3 exchanges with a potential buyer they could post a review without having bought the items but still gave you the runaround - given all the kijijidiots this was a nightmare especially the low-ballers who expect free delivery when they're out of town an hour away :rolleyes:
I recently sold two items on Kijiji and wasn't asked for any info...they weren't large dollar though. Approx $20 each.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Nov 20, 2004
837 posts
1203 upvotes
Vancouver
virgonomic wrote: Only scammers do this.
Not true.

I've never had a Facebook account and created one some years ago strictly for marketplace because CL was slowing down and Kijiji almost doesn't exist on the west coast. I use my real name and have zero friends attached.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2403 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto
hierophant wrote: Kijiji started doing this but I'm pretty sure it's only the seller that gets this message - I now get it when I go to delete the ad - I'm fairly confident it's only for review purposes, which is a welcomed enhancement because before after 3 exchanges with a potential buyer they could post a review without having bought the items but still gave you the runaround - given all the kijijidiots this was a nightmare especially the low-ballers who expect free delivery when they're out of town an hour away :rolleyes:
They send the message to the buyer too. I found it weird cuz I’ve been buying and selling on both platforms for a while now this is a recent thing that I’ve noticed literally everyone I messaged for an item Facebook is coming back to ask me if I bought it. I don’t know if it’s a security measure or if it’s simply for the government to know how much $ people are making doing online transactions so they can tax lol it’s invasive
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2403 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto
They send the message to the buyer too. I found it weird cuz I’ve been buying and selling on both platforms for a while now this is a recent thing that I’ve noticed literally everyone I messaged for an item Facebook is coming back to ask me if I bought it. I don’t know if it’s a security measure or if it’s simply for the government to know how much $ people are making doing online transactions so they can tax lol it’s invasive
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2403 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto
M1K3Z0R wrote: I feel the same way. While most of my interactions have been positive, there have been a few characters that I'm glad they don't know my name. At least with a cell number you can always change if it comes down to it, I wouldn't want a disgruntled or disturbed buyer throwing my name around or showing up at my workplace or an event I'm attending.

I also do not feel comfortable in letting some of my facebook contacts and family know what I'm selling, too many nosy judgemental people as it is. Stuff like "oh you're selling this, that's expensive, you must be doing very well" etc.

I would not bother making a fake profile, though some people I know still do the whole fake last name or using middle name as last name thing on facebook from long before marketplace.
This is so true! I hate that I don’t want my Facebook friends knowing my business. If they see me selling stuff they might think I’m poor lol which is true but they don’t need to know all that hahha
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1213 posts
867 upvotes
Ottawa
Heavenleigh85 wrote: This is so true! I hate that I don’t want my Facebook friends knowing my business. If they see me selling stuff they might think I’m poor lol which is true but they don’t need to know all that hahha
You can block your fb friends from seeing your listings. It's an option when you finalize your ad.
flameboy54 wrote: Not true.

I've never had a Facebook account and created one some years ago strictly for marketplace because CL was slowing down and Kijiji almost doesn't exist on the west coast. I use my real name and have zero friends attached.
Then you didn't create a _separate_ account for Marketplace; you created one for Marketplace.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
3046 posts
2146 upvotes
I think this is for the feedback system so both the seller and the buyer can leave feedbacks for each other.

What I find weird is sometimes Im unable to leave feedback for someone. I personally look at them (though I rarely buy, Im mostly a seller)