Shopping Discussion

Anyone notice prices increase in the last few weeks?

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2011 10:28 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11109 posts
1246 upvotes

Anyone notice prices increase in the last few weeks?

Just wondering if other people have noticed this with other products. I was planning to make a bunch of purchases a few weeks ago online. Bed sheets, duvets, duvet covers, curtains, etc.

I finally go to make the purchase a couple days ago and notice the prices on many of the products have gone up anywhere from 20%-30%. This is from a couple different retailers too so it just seemed strange to me that prices went up at both separate retailers. Anyone think they can pinpoint this to some reason, or experience something similar?
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
7768 posts
1317 upvotes
Burnaby
A lot of the manufacturer funding has expired, and so the deep discounts seen are now gone. Just speaking from my perspective though, which is more electronics related
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 12, 2005
9257 posts
1470 upvotes
Victoria
alot of stuff also goes on sale before christmas, and right after christmas. Once that all dries up, prices tend to go back up in January.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 3, 2009
5611 posts
969 upvotes
Toronto
Boxing day + January sales are over.

With groceries, I noticed sausages and some ground meats have increased.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 5, 2005
3149 posts
121 upvotes
Mississauga
I believe gas prices may have an effect as well due to the increase in transportation cost.
Sr. Member
Jul 26, 2010
734 posts
67 upvotes
Burlington
slowtyper wrote: Just wondering if other people have noticed this with other products. I was planning to make a bunch of purchases a few weeks ago online. Bed sheets, duvets, duvet covers, curtains, etc.

I finally go to make the purchase a couple days ago and notice the prices on many of the products have gone up anywhere from 20%-30%. This is from a couple different retailers too so it just seemed strange to me that prices went up at both separate retailers. Anyone think they can pinpoint this to some reason, or experience something similar?


The principle reason is owing to the signifcant world-wide (viz., China & India) demand for cotton-based and similar goods. Canadian retailers now have a great excuse for higher price points in 2011. Even if its last years unsold stock. :cry:
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 19, 2007
759 posts
11 upvotes
Ontario
Yes I noticed that too. Everything seems to be more expensive and the hst is not helping.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6306 posts
968 upvotes
This happens every year. Manufacturers and retailers update their list prices for the new year. The higher the better because they will they will be using these list prices in sale flyer comparisons later and throughout the year. The higher prices early in the year don't really cost them any business because after Christmas nobody's really buying anything anyways. People are trying to pay off their bills.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8414 posts
2250 upvotes
Mississauga
Blackmajik wrote: I believe gas prices may have an effect as well due to the increase in transportation cost.

I agree Gas and diesel prices do affect pricing.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 11, 2005
19140 posts
1639 upvotes
cinnamontwist wrote: I noticed grocery prices are up. Milk and sugar have increased.

Food prices are up all over the world. It's leading to riots.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8388 posts
1328 upvotes
brunes wrote: Food prices are up all over the world. It's leading to riots.

I had a chuckle the other day when I heard the cola companies claim that they will be increasing their wholesale costs. I figured great, another reason to stop drinking the stuff. If the prices go up I certainly wont be buying it and will instead use the money saved to by necessities instead. Soda is certainly not one of them.
Sr. Member
Nov 8, 2010
963 posts
212 upvotes
Frankie3s wrote: I had a chuckle the other day when I heard the cola companies claim that they will be increasing their wholesale costs.
It's more a fact than a claim.

In early 2002 wholesale sugar was selling for less than 6 cents per pound.
In May 2007 it was selling for 9 cents per pound.
Last month it was selling for 32 cents per pound.

http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/? ... months=120


The same is true of other staples such as wheat, rice and corn. As brunes stated, the price of many food staples having been rising quite a bit around the world.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Feb 19, 2011
125 posts
10 upvotes
Yup, food prices going up which will lead to a chain affect on other commodities and such~ now if only our wages reflect this change as well :cry:

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)