• Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2019 5:21 am
[OP]
Banned
Jan 13, 2017
20 posts
12 upvotes

Anyone Notice That You Can't Buy No-name Brand Hamburger Helper Anymore

Use to buy Hamburger Harmony, which I believe was Food Basics knock off of Hamburger Helper, maybe 3 to 4 times a month seeing it was half the price. Can't seem to find any no name brand of it anywhere now. Anyone notice this as well?
11 replies
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4321 upvotes
Maybe it isn't selling well enough anymore? (is the original HH still popular? If sales are down for that, then why would Metro/Loblaws/Sobeys bother making a knockoff? You only make a knockoff if the original is selling well)
[OP]
Banned
Jan 13, 2017
20 posts
12 upvotes
Could be the case. While searching the web if there were any legal reasons why they stopped selling it, found an article that they were really hurting back in 2014 and were trying to find a way to boost sales.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
19104 posts
27525 upvotes
ONTARIO
You can get it on Amazon.ca. I recently bought some just because they were on sale for $1 a box.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13013 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Its just pasta and seasoning... and you add ground beef?
Basically yeah.
Unless you're after the exact flavor, you could easily make your own to replace it for cheaper.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11765 posts
2230 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote: I thinks hamburgler helper has dwindled in popularity.
There used to be tons of commercials on tv for it and now none.

I personally never tried it. Its just pasta and seasoning... and you add ground beef?
As an immigrant asian kid, my parents never made stuff like that. It always amazed me what it was for and how to use it. I worked at a supermarket too and it still fascinated me. That and sloppy joes. Ground beef was a mystery for me.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9457 posts
3764 upvotes
HH is a stovetop casserole of beef and pasta in a cheesy sauce, i.e, KD with bigger pasta shapes. Their pasta is pretty gross texture though: thick, dense, furry surface, weird chew. I toss it in favour of my own and just use the seasoning packet if I am forced to make it. When my buddy is having 70's nostalgia and asks for the stuff I would rather do:

- pot of prepared KD
- beef fried with mushrooms and onions, drained, seasoned with soy, Worcestershire, tomato paste/ketchup
- combine

I think the market for HH is the 50+ crowd now. Millennials don't like American cheese, KD, HH, and all the other wonder foods that came out back then. Compare, in the 70's 1 in 10 products in people's grocery carts were Kraft and now the brand is struggling.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45189 posts
8218 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
at1212b wrote: As an immigrant asian kid, my parents never made stuff like that. It always amazed me what it was for and how to use it. I worked at a supermarket too and it still fascinated me. That and sloppy joes. Ground beef was a mystery for me.
I grew up in an all white black neighbourhood. Ihung out black and white kids and became a chinese wigger, it was the 90’s so hiphop was big.... lol

Whenever i went to friends houses for dinner it was like a culinary adventure...

The first time i had pasta that wasn’t microwaved... awesome!!!

Also my first encounter with meat loaf. I was shocked at the huge quAntities of meat in their meals.

And my first discovery of west indies food. Damn i thought it wAs so flavorful and spicy.

I was always known in my circle for being very advenerous with food. I guess my early childhood being exposed to all these “foreign” things really shaped that.
Mar 12, 2018
230 posts
249 upvotes
Only had them a few times in the last decade, but the cheap store brand versions of lasagna HH were always far better tasting for some reason. Last time I had real HH it was disgusting. Store brand KD is always better too, especially the white cheddar mac and cheese.

Don't know about other stores, but I saw the Great Value HH not even a month ago.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16643 posts
3840 upvotes
Toronto
In Toronto,
Go to the Loblaws @ St. Clair & Bathurst.
The Name brand Hamburger Helper Lasagna is only 44 cents a box. (Best before September 2019 at that)
You can find it in a shopping cart near the customer service desk. (a bunch of different clearance items in shopping carts there)

I'm honestly not sure if other Loblaws are clearing out certain store and name brand HH though...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!