Personal Finance

Anyone that offers what TD does in regards to all inclusive?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2015 4:29 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Mar 20, 2006
284 posts
69 upvotes
Edmonton, Alberta

Anyone that offers what TD does in regards to all inclusive?

I have an all inclusive, keep the 5000$ minimum. It gives me 29.95$ per month waived as well as $170 per year towards the annual fee on my credit card. That works to roughly 525$ per year or 10.5% return on my 5k.

Return on the visa is decent at 1.5% on everything. I cannot seem to find an account that matches that. Maybe you guys know of one?
15 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 11, 2005
19876 posts
2638 upvotes
HSBC Premier. If you have $100K in assets with them (can be in investments, RSP, TFSA, whatever) you get HSBC Premier which includes unlimited transactions, refunded 3rd party ATM fees, $6.95 trades, HSBC Premier Mastercard that gives 1.875% back on gas/grocery/drugstore, 2.5% on foreign currency (IE break even), and 1.25% on everything else. You can also open real US accounts and US mastercards at their US branches and transfer money between them and your Canadian accounts instantly.

The best part is you don't need to keep $5K wasting away in a non-interest bearing account and can put it in investments. If you assume a casual 5% return, that's $250 better than TD all by itself! The cheaper trades is gravy.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 10, 2010
1395 posts
200 upvotes
brunes, question, hoping that you would know the answer and thanks in advance:

If one spouse qualifies Premier by having $100K, does the other spouse automatically get Premier as well?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 11, 2005
19876 posts
2638 upvotes
513263337 wrote: brunes, question, hoping that you would know the answer and thanks in advance:

If one spouse qualifies Premier by having $100K, does the other spouse automatically get Premier as well?
Yes me and my spouse have a joint premier account and although we don't keep any separate accounts, my understanding from what the rep told me is if she wanted her own account she could open one as well. You can open several accounts (chequing, savings, etc) and have them all under the premier "umbrella" for unlimited transactions.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 10, 2010
1395 posts
200 upvotes
brunes wrote: Yes me and my spouse have a joint premier account and although we don't keep any separate accounts, my understanding from what the rep told me is if she wanted her own account she could open one as well. You can open several accounts (chequing, savings, etc) and have them all under the premier "umbrella" for unlimited transactions.
For a joint "umbrella", do you need 100K or 200K in assets?
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
4024 posts
4051 upvotes
Montreal
'SilverBane[GL wrote:;22377271']I have an all inclusive, keep the 5000$ minimum. It gives me 29.95$ per month waived as well as $170 per year towards the annual fee on my credit card. That works to roughly 525$ per year or 10.5% return on my 5k.

Return on the visa is decent at 1.5% on everything. I cannot seem to find an account that matches that. Maybe you guys know of one?
The BMO Premium Plan requires $5000 minimum monthly balance which offers similar feature as TD All Inclusive.

You will have free BMO World Elite MasterCard (2%) which is probably better than TD travel card in term of travel insurance + 4 free VIP lounge access from priority pass.

Image

bmo-world-elite-mastercard-first-year-f ... us-862799/

td-raising-rates-requirements-waived-fe ... st21964121
bmo-premium-vs-td-all-inclusive-1695871/
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 11, 2005
19876 posts
2638 upvotes
513263337 wrote: For a joint "umbrella", do you need 100K or 200K in assets?
You need 100K under one persons name I think. You can't have 50K in one persons name and 50K in another I don't think. But I am not positive, best ask HSBC.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Moderator
User avatar
Mar 23, 2004
47191 posts
13372 upvotes
Markham
brunes wrote: ...HSBC Premier Mastercard that gives 1.875% back on gas/grocery/drugstore, 2.5% on foreign currency (IE break even), and 1.25% on everything else.
...wait what? is that the CDN premier mc that you are talking about? I don't recall it being that good.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 11, 2005
19876 posts
2638 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote: ...wait what? is that the CDN premier mc that you are talking about? I don't recall it being that good.
Yes. It is because Premier members get an enhanced redemption rate on the miles... you get $1.25 back per 100 miles redeemed instead of $1

IE - normal ROR for the Premier MC is 1%, 1.5%, and 2%. Multiply that by 1.25, and you get 1.25%, 1.875%, 2.5%.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1075 posts
1290 upvotes
NB
RBC VIP does about the same for $360 per year, which would be roughly offset by $5000 invested in a self-directed TFSA.

One good thing - the VIP package includes up to 3 accounts, you can setup a USD-denominated chequing account and link it to the US side of your investment accounts. Whenever you need USD cash, just move some US$ from investments (can also use Norbert Gambit) into USD chequing and withdraw commission-free. It works the other way too.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2012
1423 posts
496 upvotes
Toronto
I am looking at my options as well after I noticed they are now charging for the borderless account.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Mar 20, 2006
284 posts
69 upvotes
Edmonton, Alberta
joey1234 wrote: I am looking at my options as well after I noticed they are now charging for the borderless account.
That is what I am unhappy about as well. I have everything with TD except my mortgages.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Mar 20, 2006
284 posts
69 upvotes
Edmonton, Alberta
Does anyone know how the booking for bmo is? Is it pretty handy just booking a deal and applying credit towards it.
Moderator
User avatar
Mar 23, 2004
47191 posts
13372 upvotes
Markham
'SilverBane[GL wrote:;22387107']Does anyone know how the booking for bmo is? Is it pretty handy just booking a deal and applying credit towards it.
you have to book on BMO Rewards travel website.
Moderator
User avatar
Mar 23, 2004
47191 posts
13372 upvotes
Markham
'SilverBane[GL wrote:;22387107']Does anyone know how the booking for bmo is? Is it pretty handy just booking a deal and applying credit towards it.
you have to book on the BMO Rewards travel website.
Moderator
User avatar
Mar 23, 2004
47191 posts
13372 upvotes
Markham
brunes wrote: Yes. It is because Premier members get an enhanced redemption rate on the miles... you get $1.25 back per 100 miles redeemed instead of $1

IE - normal ROR for the Premier MC is 1%, 1.5%, and 2%. Multiply that by 1.25, and you get 1.25%, 1.875%, 2.5%.
hmm, never noticed that with mine (i m on the miles plan as well). Oh you are talking about redempting for travel, then yeah I agree.

Top