Shopping Discussion

Anyone in Ontario buy Button or Regular Batteries recently and get charged an Enviro Fee?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2020 11:14 am
[OP]
Jul 19, 2020
76 posts
33 upvotes

Anyone in Ontario buy Button or Regular Batteries recently and get charged an Enviro Fee?

Just came back from the Dollar store and was charged an environmental recycling fee on a pack of button cell batteries. I thought Doug Ford stopped this non-sense. Maybe the store forgot to remove the fee as I haven't bought batteries in a while now. Anyone else buy batteries recently and get charged?
19 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19162 posts
22050 upvotes
GTA
Yea, I burn my batteries in the fire pit, just to stick it to those liberals. I shouldn't have to pay a fee since I'm not recycling. /s
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Jul 19, 2020
76 posts
33 upvotes
So has anyone else been charged the fee. Also does anyone know what is going on and is the fee legit?
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2991 posts
2799 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
The dollar store is scamming you, stop buying batteries there. The environmental fee was discontinued.
Oct 9, 2011
975 posts
444 upvotes
Ramdin wrote: Just came back from the Dollar store and was charged an environmental recycling fee on a pack of button cell batteries. I thought Doug Ford stopped this non-sense. Maybe the store forgot to remove the fee as I haven't bought batteries in a while now. Anyone else buy batteries recently and get charged?
Bought batteries from amazon, also got the envrionmental fee applied. Looks like the fee on batteries just started July 2020.

https://www.call2recycle.ca/fee-schedule/
https://www.call2recycle.ca/ontario/
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
14729 posts
19604 upvotes
Vancouver
jjesskaka wrote: Bought batteries from amazon, also got the envrionmental fee applied. Looks like the fee on batteries just started July 2020.

https://www.call2recycle.ca/fee-schedule/
https://www.call2recycle.ca/ontario/
Good find, looks like the OP wasn't being scammed by the retailer after all.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2991 posts
2799 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
Ramdin wrote: Thanks but its sad the government passed this at a time it wouldn't get a lot of attention. We are back to getting screwed with this BS.
They need to pay for their steak dinners somehow!
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3861 posts
3679 upvotes
Toronto
I just bought today at Loblaws no fee yet.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2991 posts
2799 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
Yeah Dollarama is charging a fee for batteries now and products that contain them. 6 cents on one item I bought for $4 AND they charged HST on the fee >:(
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
9056 posts
2763 upvotes
just bought batteries at SDM. Looking at the bill because i didnt get 20X, i didnt get 400 points for spending $2 on pc tea, i got overcharged on a clearance item...and i see I got charged an enviro fee on batteries
If you aren't willing to take small losses, then you will take big losses. This is my guarantee. -
Mark Minervini
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
14729 posts
19604 upvotes
Vancouver
jacnel wrote: Yeah Dollarama is charging a fee for batteries now and products that contain them. 6 cents on one item I bought for $4 AND they charged HST on the fee >:(
Charging tax on the fee is normal. If the fee were buried in the price like it ought to be, you’d still be paying tax on the fee. You just wouldn’t notice.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2991 posts
2799 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
Kiraly wrote: Charging tax on the fee is normal. If the fee were buried in the price like it ought to be, you’d still be paying tax on the fee. You just wouldn’t notice.
Valid point, it’s just annoying since it really isn’t a good or service
[OP]
Jul 19, 2020
76 posts
33 upvotes
jacnel wrote: Yeah Dollarama is charging a fee for batteries now and products that contain them. 6 cents on one item I bought for $4 AND they charged HST on the fee >:(
Wait so even non-battery purchases that have batteries inside them will have a fee on them? What next, are they going to charge us a recycling fee for the box?
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2991 posts
2799 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
Ramdin wrote: Wait so even non-battery purchases that have batteries inside them will have a fee on them? What next, are they going to charge us a recycling fee for the box?
Yep

Oh and trust me they will.