Computers & Electronics

Anyone with Reddit Microsoft keys still working after a few years?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2016 7:18 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10378 posts
740 upvotes
Toronto

Anyone with Reddit Microsoft keys still working after a few years?

I recently purchased a Windows key from Reddit Microsoft software swap and it works fine so far. It was cheap, but I knew it was grey market and that Microsoft could disable them at any time. I was just wondering if anyone who purchased similar keys as me got their keys disabled and Windows deactivated or still have their Windows working after a few years?
2 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28885 posts
9382 upvotes
Windows 7 key? Or Windows 8? Anyway I seriously doubt you're ever going to have a problem. If Windows 7 though, I don't get why you wouldn't just pirate yourself instead of paying money to pirates? lol Guaranteed nothing is ever going to get disabled that way and you're not just giving money to random people.

I'm not exactly condoning piracy, but between paying for piracy and just plain piracy, I think the latter is the lesser of the two evils. Just makes no sense to me why people use the "software swap" (or why they even use such a preposterous name for it).
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13015 upvotes
Depends on the key. I've had a bunch of mine get pulled and a couple of mine still activate to this day which shocks the hell out of me since it's a MAK and I've activated it like 200 times now. Plus it's like 3 years old.
I'm still sad my MSDN sub got pulled. I may get another though but I haven't had a need for a bunch of keys lately.
ES_Revenge wrote: If Windows 7 though, I don't get why you wouldn't just pirate yourself instead of paying money to pirates? lol Guaranteed nothing is ever going to get disabled that way and you're not just giving money to random people.
I can't speak for anyone else, but for me it's not having to deal with loaders/activators/disablers/etc.
It's a "legit" (as in activates using their own activation mechanism, not "legit" as in legally acquired) install.
Besides... for $2-3 who cares if it's a single use key.

Now... if you're dumb and buying on Reddit for $20 then yeah.
I'm not exactly condoning piracy, but between paying for piracy and just plain piracy, I think the latter is the lesser of the two evils.
I agree to a point of the dollar value.
$2 to me is convenience.
$20 to me you're just letting someone make money off of you for zero work.
Just makes no sense to me why people use the "software swap" (or why they even use such a preposterous name for it).
Yeah it's a hilarious name.
They may as well call it The Pirate Bay for money.