Food & Drink

Anyone remember? Philly cheese sandwich chain from 90’s and early 2000’s.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2019 8:33 am
28 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6072 posts
746 upvotes
Greely
The Great Steak and Potato Company?
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
3319 posts
2520 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 12:16 pm
Anyone remember a Philly cheese sandwich chain from 90’s and early 2000’s.
It was always in mall food courts.
Unless i imagined it. I was really young then.
Are you thinking of Great Canadian Steak Company? I remember they were one of the original tenants in the Vaughan Mills food court:

https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/scr/cc/Corpora ... Id=7155034

Great Steak and Potato Company (now shortened to just "Great Steak") is American:
http://www.thegreatsteak.com/about_us/index.html
Friendly reminder: South Street is the second coming of Licks, and Works Burger is a bad ripoff of Red Robin put out by those purveyors of garbage, MTY Shit Restaurants Group.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6072 posts
746 upvotes
Greely
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 12:23 pm
Are you thinking of Great Canadian Steak Company? I remember they were one of the original tenants in the Vaughan Mills food court:

Great Steak and Potato Company (now shortened to just "Great Steak") is American:
They had locations (and still have one) in Toronto. I used to eat there all the time when I lived at Yonge & College.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41078 posts
4866 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
steve-0101 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 12:20 pm
The Great Steak and Potato Company?
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 12:23 pm

I think thats the one!

Tip of the tongue thing that drives you crazy!
I guess they’re pretty rare now...
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
3319 posts
2520 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 12:30 pm
I think thats the one!

Tip of the tongue thing that drives you crazy!
I guess they’re pretty rare now...
Which one? Great Canadian or Great Steak? It looks like the former was shut down by the feds (as per the link I posted), but the latter still exists, locations all over the USA.
Friendly reminder: South Street is the second coming of Licks, and Works Burger is a bad ripoff of Red Robin put out by those purveyors of garbage, MTY Shit Restaurants Group.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41078 posts
4866 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 12:39 pm
Which one? Great Canadian or Great Steak? It looks like the former was shut down by the feds (as per the link I posted), but the latter still exists, locations all over the USA.
Must be great canadian steak co. Its one i absoloutely don’t see anywhere.

Great steak must be unrelated but similar in name. And knowing that great canadian steak co. Was federally decommissioned. Sounds like they went bankrupt or abandonned.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
3319 posts
2520 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 3:31 pm
Must be great canadian steak co. Its one i absoloutely don’t see anywhere.

Great steak must be unrelated but similar in name. And knowing that great canadian steak co. Was federally decommissioned. Sounds like they went bankrupt or abandonned.
I might have had Great Canadian Steak during my first visit to Vaughan Mills when the mall was new... which is why I remember it.
Nov 9, 2013
695 posts
773 upvotes
Scarborough
There was one in Gerrard Square food court as well, IIRC.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6804 posts
3970 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Must be a Toronto thing. I remember nothing like that in Victoria.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8078 posts
2079 upvotes
Mississauga
There's Charleys Philly Steaks at Square One (but it tastes cheap).
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
1727 posts
736 upvotes
GTA
steve-0101 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 12:30 pm
They had locations (and still have one) in Toronto. I used to eat there all the time when I lived at Yonge & College.
it's still there, eat at this one all the time , fresh cooked sandwich and drink for less than $8
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
2585 posts
564 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
it definately had charlies in the name
Hi
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8286 posts
1306 upvotes
Toronto
Raggie wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 4:35 pm
There's Charleys Philly Steaks at Square One (but it tastes cheap).
Is that still in operation? Haven't been to Square One in at least a decade but I've had the sandwich from there.
It was decent and was pretty cheap too. Think there was one in Eaton Center as well.
On a side note: The KFC in Square One was the only one I knew of that had the hot wings.
They were expensive but were prepared in the US and imported and tasted better than any of the Canadian offerings.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8078 posts
2079 upvotes
Mississauga
gh05t wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 12:18 pm
Is that still in operation? Haven't been to Square One in at least a decade but I've had the sandwich from there.
It was decent and was pretty cheap too. Think there was one in Eaton Center as well.
On a side note: The KFC in Square One was the only one I knew of that had the hot wings.
They were expensive but were prepared in the US and imported and tasted better than any of the Canadian offerings.
I don't usually eat at Charleys but it is still there. Also KFC is there but I don't eat at that one because the chicken is so small.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.