• Jan 5th, 2023 11:49 am
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 22, 2008
234 posts
59 upvotes
Durham

Anyone returned a laptop to Amazon?

I recently ordered a gaming laptop, which is on sale at Amazon, but now, as I await delivery, I am having some second thoughts. I think there’s a possibility that after CES is through I’ll feel like I should have instead built myself a desktop. I tried to cancel the order before they shipped it, but the cancellation failed, and they shipped it anyways.

So, I think there’s probably an 80% chance that I’m going to just send this back, but there’s always a chance that I could open up the laptop and test out some games and be completely satisfied with it and want to keep it. How much more difficulty might I have if I open the laptop and use it for a couple of weeks before sending it back, versus just sending it sealed and brand new? In either case it will be within the 30 day window.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2019
2124 posts
5323 upvotes
North York ON
They're probably gonna open it anyway and resell it as used in Amazon warehouse deals. But it depends on who inspects the return and if they're lazy.

Fraudsters have resealed products since return fraud was a thing. So I don't imagine it will make a difference. Chances are it will take a few weeks to get your refund.

Is it possible to cancel delivery? If it's shipped by an Amazon partner courier, it can be cancelled and rerouted back to the warehouse.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2008
234 posts
59 upvotes
Durham
Keith1411 wrote: They're probably gonna open it anyway and resell it as used in Amazon warehouse deals. But it depends on who inspects the return and if they're lazy.

Fraudsters have resealed products since return fraud was a thing. So I don't imagine it will make a difference. Chances are it will take a few weeks to get your refund.

Is it possible to cancel delivery? If it's shipped by an Amazon partner courier, it can be cancelled and rerouted back to the warehouse.
Thanks. I’m not sure if it can be cancelled via the courier. I’ll look into that.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2008
1813 posts
804 upvotes
GTA
carsnick wrote: Thanks. I’m not sure if it can be cancelled via the courier. I’ll look into that.
check under order status - sometimes there is an option to cancel - check often!
[OP]
Feb 22, 2008
234 posts
59 upvotes
Durham
TorontoWest91 wrote: check under order status - sometimes there is an option to cancel - check often!
Yeah I did use that cancel option, but I guess it was in the processing stage where it wasn’t an automatic cancel. The next morning I received an email saying it could not be cancelled. It got marked as shipped later that day.
Dec 6, 2012
570 posts
352 upvotes
Montréal, QC
I (accidentally) cancelled items while they were in the truck for delivery, I immediately called the hotline to undo this but the guy told me too late, it's in the system as cancelled and the tracking updated with "cancelled delivery" and I was refunded 2 weeks later...

So yes you can cancel up to the latest time.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2008
234 posts
59 upvotes
Durham
Thanks for the replies. I was able to contact the courier this morning and reroute back to their facility where they can send it back to Amazon.