Automotive

Anyone signed up Allstate Drivewise program (or other compatible programs from other insurance companies) ?

• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2019 4:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8107 posts
515 upvotes

Anyone signed up Allstate Drivewise program (or other compatible programs from other insurance companies) ?

Just wonder if anyone participated and got a big discount.
16 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33272 posts
7387 upvotes
Ottawa
For me, it is a very big no.
There is no way I would put a device on my car so the insurance companies can track me and my car.
Being in the Military is a choice, being a Veteran is an earned honor. Anonymous
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8107 posts
515 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
May 1st, 2019 4:19 pm
For me, it is a very big no.
There is no way I would put a device on my car so the insurance companies can track me and my car.

It is not a device on the car but an app on your phone for tracking period (usually 6 months), then you can delete the app.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33272 posts
7387 upvotes
Ottawa
rdx wrote:
May 1st, 2019 4:21 pm
It is not a device on the car but an app on your phone for tracking period (usually 6 months), then you can delete the app.
OK, "There is no way I would put an app on my phone so the insurance companies can track me and my car."
Being in the Military is a choice, being a Veteran is an earned honor. Anonymous
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8107 posts
515 upvotes
Menthol wrote:
May 1st, 2019 4:35 pm
Would it worth it to take out a cheap data plan for the app, and leave the phone in a vehicle with a person who drives really careful? or does the app sync with the vehicle
The app detects wherever you go, even you are on public transit. You will need to uncheck those trips you don't drive. I don't know how they know if someone removed all the unwanted trips. Honest system ???
Nov 24, 2016
849 posts
877 upvotes
Menthol wrote:
May 1st, 2019 4:35 pm
Would it worth it to take out a cheap data plan for the app, and leave the phone in a vehicle with a person who drives really careful? or does the app sync with the vehicle
I wouldn't bother to do that to save a little money on car insurance. If they suspend your insurance and then you are forced to go to a new one because of fraud that wouldn't be worth the hassle. I doubt they will suspend you for that who knows.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33272 posts
7387 upvotes
Ottawa
MastaOogway wrote:
May 1st, 2019 5:27 pm
I wouldn't bother to do that to save a little money on car insurance. If they suspend your insurance and then you are forced to go to a new one because of fraud that wouldn't be worth the hassle. I doubt they will suspend you for that who knows.
More than that, all insurance companies share data and if your company increases your rates or even worse, drops you, all the other companies would know exactly why and they have the data. You will have to pay the high rates from any of them.
Nope, there is no way I am going to share my driving statistics with any insurance company......geez, they will even keep track of how many times you had to brake hard LOL
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8107 posts
515 upvotes
FYI, discount is up to 30%
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
1320 posts
498 upvotes
Toronto
I hope more people are of the same mindset as most in this thread, the more people voluntarily participating in this will likely make the insurance industry turn this into a standard. Chasing what will end up being a discount of 5% isn't worth it.
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
3832 posts
1190 upvotes
markham
rdx wrote:
May 1st, 2019 9:40 pm
FYI, discount is up to 30%
yup...and "The Bricks" sales up to 90% off
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8107 posts
515 upvotes
cardguy wrote:
May 1st, 2019 10:14 pm
yup...and "The Bricks" sales up to 90% off
I just finished the 6 months evaluation and they have emailed me saying my discount rate will be 30% which will be reflected on the next renewal.
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
3832 posts
1190 upvotes
markham
rdx wrote:
May 1st, 2019 10:22 pm
I just finished the 6 months evaluation and they have emailed me saying my discount rate will be 30% which will be reflected on the next renewal.
LOL good for you...30% off an inflated rate = no savings and they have all your habits to scew you later...I won't rant much about the stupidity and risk about being in a program like this ...many respected longtime members are totally against this program and I ranted about this long time ago ,,,but enjoy your so called perceived discount...this year....if its really a discount to the lowest rate you could be really paying, if you shopped properly
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7605 posts
1379 upvotes
I did the thing where they plug a thing in your OBD for 6 months.

Ended with a 20% discount on renewal and returned the device. I have nothing to hide. All this fear mongering... gosh.
Aug 13, 2006
719 posts
466 upvotes
Ottawa
EPcjay wrote:
May 2nd, 2019 12:10 pm
I have nothing to hide.
Don't get me even started with this "nothing to hide" logic.