Sep 8, 2007
9198 posts
10691 upvotes
Way Out of GTA

Anyone still have their winters on?

Driving around I still see a few people with their winters on. Is it:

1) didn't have time to take them off
2) still worried about a few cold mornings
3) tires are old so just using them thru the summer to burn them off and get a new set after
4) other
30 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21198 posts
10674 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Still have mine on. [removed]
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19140 posts
2860 upvotes
Woodbridge
I would say laziness.

I doubt they're worried about Cold Temperatures especially if they're using All-Seasons.

Even if I was running Summers no way I would leave them on. End of April is the latest.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1907 posts
2018 upvotes
Leave them on, winters coming again in 6 months
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
3504 posts
2672 upvotes
Toronto, ON
billford wrote: Leave them on, winters coming again in 6 months
I actually put winters in summers and summers in winter so that I don't have to switch when the weather arrives.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1907 posts
2018 upvotes
canoek wrote: I actually put winters in summers and summers in winter so that I don't have to switch when the weather arrives.
good idea.

I also leave my wipers on in the summer
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
860 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
Took them off in March when the temps started hitting double digits. But one of my neighbours still have their studded tires on their mini van. Very appropriate! And temps are in the 30s.
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
418 upvotes
Toronto
I still have mine on and might just drive with them the entire summer. It doesnt make sense to shell out around 40 a rim to dismount them and buy summer ones. I only changed the front tires to winter and only paid $40 each installed... used tires but in good conditions.

I will leave them on and just spend another $80 in November for another good used winter set.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4328 upvotes
I was at the mall today. 2 out of every 10 vehicles still had winters on.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2363 posts
173 upvotes
1, 2 and 3 here. We usually don't take them off until mid-May, because there's often a last-minute snow storm. I would have taken them off one car early this year, but haven't had the time. And I don't really care about the Civic's tires because we'll replace them this winter anyway.
Feb 8, 2007
767 posts
193 upvotes
My tires are 4-5/32". Snow/ice traction wasn't good this winter so I am burning them off this summer.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2997 posts
1536 upvotes
AB
Gammatron wrote: I still have mine on and might just drive with them the entire summer. It doesnt make sense to shell out around 40 a rim to dismount them and buy summer ones. I only changed the front tires to winter and only paid $40 each installed... used tires but in good conditions.

I will leave them on and just spend another $80 in November for another good used winter set.
I would find a new shop. Did they at least advise you to put the tires with more traction on the back? By putting snows on the front only you're potentially creating a more dangerous situation with your vehicles dynamics than if you had no snow tires on at all.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
1222 posts
950 upvotes
ON
I have mine on. I don't have all seasons, only summers and winters, and if I change to summers and it rains at less the 5 Celsius I am skidding like crazy. Probably next weekend I will have them changed, the cold nights should not be an issue by then.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
3504 posts
2672 upvotes
Toronto, ON
aleks wrote: I would find a new shop. Did they at least advise you to put the tires with more traction on the back? By putting snows on the front only you're potentially creating a more dangerous situation with your vehicles dynamics than if you had no snow tires on at all.
We need dashcam videos of people spinning. I say keep putting low traction tires in the rear.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7172 posts
3634 upvotes
West GTEH!
Switched over to my 3-season tires mid-April. :)
😎
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1669 posts
760 upvotes
Narkham
Just changed into my summer's this past Tuesday. It was out of laziness cause I didn't want to pack my summers into my car :)
That being said, what made me go was the road noise from the winters while driving. Couldn't stand it
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10027 posts
915 upvotes
Toronto
changed my over last month, still see 5 out 10 cars with winter tires on.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Mar 6, 2008
456 posts
197 upvotes
Ottawa
Most people get someone to do it and are too lazy to find time to book an appointment. Not much of a concern to run winters into the summer, but not vice versa.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)