Anyone still running Winter tires? lol

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2020 1:18 am
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34230 posts
3928 upvotes
Winnipeg
tranquility922 wrote: Sure, it's a guideline, but even if it's consistently around 3C, that's still too low for summers. Lots of ppl mention snowing, etc, but the main/sole criterion is the temp. Doesn't matter if there's no snow at all if it's -20C, gonna be trouble if using summers.
I have seen days where the temperature swing from 0 to 20C, what tire do you run? Keep in mind the tires don't change themselves.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2323 posts
1300 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Webhead wrote: GTA weather this coming weekend will be @15C. Maybe time to swap out tires.
10 days after that are pretty cold. With little driving though, might be right time to change the tires still.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13671 posts
3702 upvotes
Montréal
divx wrote: I have seen days where the temperature swing from 0 to 20C, what tire do you run? Keep in mind the tires don't change themselves.
Well, it's just common sense, right? What temp range is the majority of the day and foreseeable future? Fit and act accordingly.

I run dedicated summers and winters.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
24830 posts
3070 upvotes
Montreal
divx wrote: I have seen days where the temperature swing from 0 to 20C, what tire do you run? Keep in mind the tires don't change themselves.
If you are driving during the day mostly, and the precipitation is coming down as rain, go ahead and switch. Winter tires are horrible if you get those torrential spring downpours.
May 24, 2008
240 posts
178 upvotes
Mississauga
I run dedicated summer at night and day, changed it 3 weeks ago to summer, no problem at all. I even ran 200tw tires at 5c a few times and performance was great (not optimal). I also ran winter tires in 15-20c range for a few years as well no problem on wear, tires may get sluggish when its 20c and Sunny outside tough
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2006
1465 posts
296 upvotes
Still do, just because there is no snow doesn't mean you don't benefit from winter tire when it's 1degree outside in the morning or late at night. I usually change mine after April.
No links or solicitations through sigs
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2016
1461 posts
1565 upvotes
I just follow my insurance policy. Don't want to be caught in an accident with the wrong tires on.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3755 posts
3852 upvotes
GTA
emjhay wrote: Still do, just because there is no snow doesn't mean you don't benefit from winter tire when it's 1degree outside in the morning or late at night. I usually change mine after April.
Check out this test. The results may surprise you. Winter tires don't show an improvement in wet or dry braking even down to 0°C. Too bad they couldn't test lower. I guess their strength is when there's actually snow and ice on the road.

Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
10818 posts
7162 upvotes
GTA, ON
I've now switched over both vehicles, and only because I got too bored of sitting around at home doing nothing. I have nowhere to go, so my car could have easily just left the winters on.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2840 posts
1151 upvotes
GTA
It won't be over +5c overnight any day this week, with a possibly (but pretty unliekly IMO) forecast of snow/rain showers for next Saturday.

Winters definitely won't get "worn out prematurely" if it's 15c or 20c one afternoon.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2006
1465 posts
296 upvotes
thanks , this is very informative.
derass wrote: Check out this test. The results may surprise you. Winter tires don't show an improvement in wet or dry braking even down to 0°C. Too bad they couldn't test lower. I guess their strength is when there's actually snow and ice on the road.

No links or solicitations through sigs
Oct 24, 2016
850 posts
705 upvotes
ON
I had planned on swapping this weekend but last week got an email from our CEO that we won’t be returning to office till at least Sep 9. Since the car is hardly being driven while working from home, I’m just wondering if I could perhaps just get away without doing the change this year Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18010 posts
5998 upvotes
Toronto
Any good mobile tire change places that charge under $50?
Nov 10, 2015
269 posts
232 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
carmaster wrote: Any good mobile tire change places that charge under $50?
"Good" and "under $50". Choose one lol
How much cheaper do you expect to pay?.. Just DIY
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
20037 posts
2849 upvotes
Niagara Falls
kammj1 wrote: "Good" and "under $50". Choose one lol
How much cheaper do you expect to pay?.. Just DIY
Not mobile but my mechanic does it for $20 if they're on rims. Only problem is he's on the other side of town so sometime I'm too lazy to drive over there and drop the car off so I do it myself and then realize it's not even close to worth my time for $20.