Wheels and Tires

Anyone still running Winter tires? lol

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2020 1:18 am
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2323 posts
1300 upvotes
Toronto, ON
A good day today for changing the tires. The weather ahead is again very cold though.
Sr. Member
Aug 15, 2009
953 posts
614 upvotes
Montreal
Switching to all season tires this week for both of our car.

Employer truck will keep winter tires for summer.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 7, 2004
5438 posts
1862 upvotes
GTEH!
Done. Swapped tires yesterday.
Beautiful Sunday May 3 in GTA, @20C and sunny.
😎
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
5965 posts
2465 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
GTA will have some rain and little snow later this week and into weekend.

Night temps 0C or below... better have good tread on all seasons if driving at night.
.......
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 11, 2006
1760 posts
484 upvotes
Toronto
I put my performance summers on all my cars a month ago, since the commute no longer exists.
Running Continental ExtremeContactSport in 5 degree weather is pretty annoying, but I literally drive once every two weeks just to get groceries.
It's May. I'm not running my Blizzaks in May. Maybe if you're in Barrie or something, but not in Toronto.
Member
Apr 18, 2010
280 posts
67 upvotes
Did last weekend.
It has been cold though.

1 more to do.

Muscles sore. Lol.
By next weekend I will be done.

Thanks
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
10744 posts
2611 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
This is why I have not swapped to my Hankook RS4 tires yet. Will likely do it in 1-2 weeks when its consistently over 7c
dassub wrote: I put my performance summers on all my cars a month ago, since the commute no longer exists.
Running Continental ExtremeContactSport in 5 degree weather is pretty annoying, but I literally drive once every two weeks just to get groceries.
It's May. I'm not running my Blizzaks in May. Maybe if you're in Barrie or something, but not in Toronto.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 7, 2004
5438 posts
1862 upvotes
GTEH!
georvu wrote: GTA will have some rain and little snow later this week and into weekend.

Night temps 0C or below... better have good tread on all seasons if driving at night.
If you're not driving at night later this week/weekend, nothing to worry about. Nowhere to go during this Pandemic.
Besides, Lot's of people drive on 3-season tires Year-round. *shrugs*
😎
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
5965 posts
2465 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Webhead wrote: If you're not driving at night later this week/weekend, nothing to worry about. Nowhere to go during this Pandemic.
Besides, Lot's of people drive on 3-season tires Year-round. *shrugs*
Yeah, that's like exactly what I said in different words... need to be careful if driving at nights.

Some folks like nurses and doctors work evenings.

Just because some people drive in 0C or under weather with all seasons is not something I would use to convince myself. *shrugs*
.......
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
1904 posts
461 upvotes
In Hiding
Are dealers open for changing tires and services? GTA - can I drive with my winter tires all year (only going out twice a month for essentials) as I'm self-quarantining.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
3787 posts
1102 upvotes
Oshawa
Had mine and my wife's winter tires swapped out on April 1. Since both vehicles were sitting on the driveway ... there was no reason not to swap.

My mom's is sitting in the underground parking of the condo ... haven't had time to go over and swap them for her yet.

Would a Dewalt Cordless Impact Driver with two 4 Amp batteries be suffice to do the on and off of the lugnuts for all four tires? I've never done tire swapping with the cordless as I normally do it in my own garage using the Craftsman Corded 7.5 Amp Impact Wrench.
16' x 11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling w/ a 65" Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers (FR+FL). Polk Audio S35 (Center). Klipsch R51M (RR+RL). Klipsch R14M (Dolby FHR+Dolby FHL). Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x 2.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8486 posts
2951 upvotes
AV-Fishing wrote: Had mine and my wife's winter tires swapped out on April 1. Since both vehicles were sitting on the driveway ... there was no reason not to swap.

My mom's is sitting in the underground parking of the condo ... haven't had time to go over and swap them for her yet.

Would a Dewalt Cordless Impact Driver with two 4 Amp batteries be suffice to do the on and off of the lugnuts for all four tires? I've never done tire swapping with the cordless as I normally do it in my own garage using the Craftsman Corded 7.5 Amp Impact Wrench.
can't say I have tried, but highly unlikely.

You could maybe break them loose with a breaker bar, then spin them off with the impact driver, but I don't think it will break them loose for you.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
3787 posts
1102 upvotes
Oshawa
Gutty96 wrote: can't say I have tried, but highly unlikely.

You could maybe break them loose with a breaker bar, then spin them off with the impact driver, but I don't think it will break them loose for you.
Thanks for the heads up. I don't have a breaker bar, but what I can probably do is with my 1/2" drive ratchet and slap on a steel tube extension for added leverage. I remember doing it that way years ago when I didn't have the corded impact wrench.
16' x 11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling w/ a 65" Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers (FR+FL). Polk Audio S35 (Center). Klipsch R51M (RR+RL). Klipsch R14M (Dolby FHR+Dolby FHL). Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x 2.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2013
1442 posts
1633 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
I'm glad I still have winter tires on in my old beater. There is snow forecast over the weekend... sigh.
TFSA: XAW | RRSP: VEQT + VAB | Non-Reg: XIC

It's really that simple.

Top