Anyone still running Winter tires? lol

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2020 1:18 am
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5695 posts
1171 upvotes
Montreal
I changed to my summer tires yesterday. I used one of the mobile tire change companies that came to my house and changed my tires (not on rims) on the street. The entire process took less than 15 minutes, involved 2 guys, and cost about the same as taking my car to a garage.
Phils
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
24830 posts
3070 upvotes
Montreal
Phils wrote: I changed to my summer tires yesterday. I used one of the mobile tire change companies that came to my house and changed my tires (not on rims) on the street. The entire process took less than 15 minutes, involved 2 guys, and cost about the same as taking my car to a garage.
Care to share the name of the company? In what area?
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3755 posts
3852 upvotes
GTA
Caerus wrote: Still have my winters on, don't have a choice ATM. I moved out to Vancouver, drove from Winnipeg early February. Good thing I decided to keep them on since the Alberta to BC stretch was not safe Astonished Face.

My all season tires are still sitting at my brother's house in Winnipeg... Not sure what to do or if I should have them shipped. I live in an apartment downtown and I'd probably have to find a tire storage place as well.
I drove that entire Vancouver to Calgary stretch this winter too. Definitely challenging to go through those mountain passes when there's snow on the highway.

Will you change tires yourself? Or take it to a shop? Because most shops and dealers now offer seasonal tire storage for a fee. You could have them swap the tires, then store the other set until you switch back.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
1757 posts
2611 upvotes
derass wrote: I drove that entire Vancouver to Calgary stretch this winter too. Definitely challenging to go through those mountain passes when there's snow on the highway.

Will you change tires yourself? Or take it to a shop? Because most shops and dealers now offer seasonal tire storage for a fee. You could have them swap the tires, then store the other set until you switch back.
Yeah, the mountain passes were rough. Especially since I was in a tiny Gen 1 Veloster, non-turbo, packed way over capacity. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes FWD, tiny car, anemic engine, on snow and slushy mountains...

I'd have no problem changing the tires myself, I just don't have the space or storage. I'd probably have a shop do it, and then have them store the winters for the season.

I just have to figure out the cheapest way to have them shipped here, or directly to a shop if possible. Then book an appointment I guess.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5695 posts
1171 upvotes
Montreal
mr_raider wrote: Care to share the name of the company? In what area?
Mobile tires in Saint-Laurent.
Phils
Jun 17, 2016
27 posts
27 upvotes
Is there any cheap Mobile tire change service in Toronto?

Additionally:
Looking for budget All season tires. Which one is good? Sailun , Joyroad, Greenlander ?
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2840 posts
1151 upvotes
GTA
I still have winters on one of my cars :O
#rebel
Aug 6, 2017
527 posts
800 upvotes
Swapped back to summers...the car handles much better.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2413 posts
2293 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Viperoni wrote: I still have winters on one of my cars :O
#rebel
Same. Just waiting for my torque wrench to come in the mail then I'll be swapping. No rush since I'm not driving at all haha.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
1757 posts
2611 upvotes
Coming on July and I'm still on my winters. Figure there's no real point in shipping them here just to switch them over for 3 months, then back again in Octoberish. I think they'll hold out until next spring.

Only thing is they're on rusty black steely rims, driving around Vancouver. Face With Tears Of Joy

I think since I still have MB plates and the pandemic happened, people might not judge too badly.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5438 posts
1862 upvotes
GTEH!
Caerus wrote: Coming on July and I'm still on my winters. Figure there's no real point in shipping them here just to switch them over for 3 months, then back again in Octoberish. I think they'll hold out until next spring.

Only thing is they're on rusty black steely rims, driving around Vancouver. Face With Tears Of Joy

I think since I still have MB plates and the pandemic happened, people might not judge too badly.
Don’t worry about what other people think, it’s your car do whatever you want. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
😎
Nov 1, 2015
465 posts
166 upvotes
BC
Im still running winters because my all season from last year wore out so I threw them out. I only drive my car 1-2 days a week so its not a huge deal. Looking for some deals on a set of performance tires right now. Size 235/55/18. I'm finding that selection is terrible with Canadian Tire, Costco, and Kal Tire.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3149 posts
18146 upvotes
Running winter specific tires in weather that’s in the double digits is not a good thing.

Not only do have worse handling and braking but you will wear out the super soft rubber down much quicker which means a winter tire ridden all year round that should technically last your 3-6 seasons depending on your driving style may only last 1.5-2 proper winter driving seasons.

Invest in a set of extra Rims and tires and do the work yourself when swapping it out, all your information regarding swapping your tires is in your owners manual all you need to is invest in a proper sized socket and torque wrench and use your existing jack from your trunk.
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
12154 posts
3285 upvotes
Scarberia
i was running 3 summer 17in wheels and one 15inch stock winter tire for few weeks lol...finally got a 4th new tire 17in and mounted and balance, guy charged me 20 bucks...so now i got all 4 summer 17inch rims/tires on ...i ran my winters all the way till like june 7th i think!
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
9944 posts
820 upvotes
Toronto
All. MY neighbours still have their winters on
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."