Anyone still running Winter tires? lol

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2020 1:18 am
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
3114 posts
579 upvotes
Toronto
At this point you might as well just keep the winters on :)
My Heatware Feedback: Click!
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11207 posts
3473 upvotes
Toronto
DJ Trance AZ wrote: At this point you might as well just keep the winters on :)
Right, just like wearing the UGG winter boot when it is 35c outside. Face With Tears Of Joy
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Dec 22, 2018
183 posts
70 upvotes
Markham
Smiling Face With Open Mouthstill running winter tires but only used 2 tanks of gas in the last 4+ months due to pandemic and work from home. Saved spring and autumn tire change fees of $80. Putting towards a new set of tires in a few years when vaccine becomes available!Smiling Face With Open Mouth
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3670 posts
948 upvotes
Was at Home Depot. Parking lot was half full. I would say 50% of the SUV's still had snow tires on and most were pretty beefy looking! lol. I think the myth of driving with snow tires in the summer will kill them has been debunked; at least during pandemic less driving season!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27429 posts
7754 upvotes
bowmah wrote: Was at Home Depot. Parking lot was half full. I would say 50% of the SUV's still had snow tires on and most were pretty beefy looking! lol. I think the myth of driving with snow tires in the summer will kill them has been debunked; at least during pandemic less driving season!
Won't really kill you esp. if your tyres aren't over pressured but you will wear them out a lot faster and, should had you ever had to brake hard, swerve, etc. it could have been the difference between an accident and not an accident if you had proper tyres on. I noticed this in my own workplace parking lot the other day--how many cars have winters on already. I actually don't know if it's "already" as in they put them on way early, or if they never changed them? My workplace has been back in full swing since like end of May BTW (meaning nearly everyone at work no WFH BS at my work, let me tell you), so not like these people have an excuse for leaving them on since last winter, since it was basically just getting hot out when we all went back since the cool weather hung around so long this year.
Jul 16, 2020
130 posts
23 upvotes
does all weather tires wears faster than winter tires? or wears the same as all season

all weather tires has a tread life of 100,000km. if putting on the all weather tires, no need to change between seasons , right ?
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1271 posts
582 upvotes
Ontario
Onlyuo wrote: does all weather tires wears faster than winter tires? or wears the same as all season

all weather tires has a tread life of 100,000km. if putting on the all weather tires, no need to change between seasons , right ?
From all I've seen and read, all-weathers wear a little faster then all-seasons, and less the winters. They seem to be in the middle right now and nearing all-season wear with better traction in the crappier stuff...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Jul 16, 2020
130 posts
23 upvotes
is all weather tires recommend to go on long trips during the summer? like couple of hrs drive ...

Scenario 1
starting from day 1 , all season tires 100,000km ( free, well cost are included from dealer) + winter tires for 4 winter seasons ( $1284 for conti winter contact7 with 4 alloy wheel w/tax + 7 times of change over[ the first time changeover is free,if brought with tires], cost around $40 each time *7=$280, 1284+280=$1564 for 4 years of usage ),

Scenario 2
starting from day 1 , all season tires 100,000km ( free, well cost are included from dealer) + all weather tires (nokian wrg4 16inch for around $618 for 4 tires, alloy wheels around 4x $480=$1098 with tax, but then nokian has a treadlife of 100,000km , if driven for longer period, more savings....

if driven with all weather tires, it could save time, save money and make some money off of it.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1271 posts
582 upvotes
Ontario
Onlyuo wrote: is all weather tires recommend to go on long trips during the summer? like couple of hrs drive ...

Scenario 1
starting from day 1 , all season tires 100,000km ( free, well cost are included from dealer) + winter tires for 4 winter seasons ( $1284 for conti winter contact7 with 4 alloy wheel w/tax + 7 times of change over[ the first time changeover is free,if brought with tires], cost around $40 each time *7=$280, 1284+280=$1564 for 4 years of usage ),

Scenario 2
starting from day 1 , all season tires 100,000km ( free, well cost are included from dealer) + all weather tires (nokian wrg4 16inch for around $618 for 4 tires, alloy wheels around 4x $480=$1098 with tax, but then nokian has a treadlife of 100,000km , if driven for longer period, more savings....

if driven with all weather tires, it could save time, save money and make some money off of it.
Not quite sure i understand your scenarios. Your deciding what wheels+tires to get in addition to the all-seasons your car came with? Depends if you want to buy extra rims or not. If not I'd go all-weathers when the all-seasons wear out, or if you do then go a pure winter and a nice summer setup. It all depends on what you drive in, and if you want to switch or not or want the extra cost of more rims/tires.

The Nokians WRG4s I've been told by many now are good all around but tend to wear on the faster side (will be hard to get the 100k from them) and I've personally seen a couple sets get noisy as they wear. I was going to get WRG4's but decided to get the Michelin CrossClimate2's instead as we all figured they would wear longer if I kept them swapped regularly (no one I know seems to know how well the CC2s wear other then what we've read though, so its a guess as to what will really happen.)
·Ï¢årµ§·
Jul 16, 2020
130 posts
23 upvotes
does the michelin cross climate 2 get the snowflake symbol?

do you know which allweather tires are better than the nokian?

if getting the nokian for 4 yrs, w/o changeover in the summer. then it would cost less in total of 4 years , after that get another set of allweather.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1271 posts
582 upvotes
Ontario
Onlyuo wrote: does the michelin cross climate 2 get the snowflake symbol?

do you know which allweather tires are better than the nokian?

if getting the nokian for 4 yrs, w/o changeover in the summer. then it would cost less in total of 4 years , after that get another set of allweather.
Check out the All-weather thread here and see what people have to say. I was just sharing my personal experience with the WRG4 and CC2 (both which have the snowflake symbol.) I've personally only tried a couple sets of different Nokains all-weathers, so not much experience with others yet.
·Ï¢årµ§·