Cell Phones

Anyone still using a Blackberry ? ( BlackBerry OS )

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2021 12:54 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
1154 posts
597 upvotes
Toronto/Plano/Atlant…

Anyone still using a Blackberry ? ( BlackBerry OS )

I m still using my Leap from 2015,using it only for email and messaging. .

I have 6 emails setup in my phone. The hub feature is what I like the most.

I just got a text message from Koodo that phones running legacy blackberry software will no longer function in Canada effective Jan 4 2022.

Is the hub app for Android as good as the BB is hub ? Anyone use it ?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3898 posts
1217 upvotes
emale wrote: I m still using my Leap from 2015,using it only for email and messaging. .

I just got a text message from Koodo that phones running legacy blackberry software will no longer function in Canada effective Jan 4 2022.

I've got the BB Hub on my android. It's not perfect but at least it's familiar. The email works pretty much the same. The basic version will have an ad at the top. It doesn't really bother me though.

I've got 5 emails and 6 social media which will link to its respective app. With the emails, depending on which service, it may require authentication. Like for yahoo, i needed to generate a key.
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
Rogers EPP - $40 - 6gb, unlimited North American plan (roaming included)
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
2372 posts
1766 upvotes
Montreal, QC
emale wrote: I m still using my Leap from 2015,using it only for email and messaging. .

I have/use my BlackBerry Passport and alternate that with my BlackBerry Q10 occasionally as an email device. I don't use a valid/active SIM card in either of these devices. I use them with WiFi only.

I have an Android Blackberry Priv and an Android BlackBerry KEYone. Both of the BlackBerry Hub on it. I find it good/useful but for both of these devices (which aren't powerhorses by any means and rather sluggish), the BlackBerry Hub takes up a lot of resources (RAM) and I've read that some people on CrackBerry.com and HowardForums.com disable BlackBerry Hub.

The BlackBerry Hub on Android doesn't work as smoothly on Android as it does on BB10 OS BUT BlackBerry Hub on Android integrates with a lot of messaging systems (ex: Microsoft Teams) and you can link it with certain apps as well such as Google Voice so you see all the messages in a single place.

On my two BlackBerry Android devices, I use BlackBerry Hub.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23401 posts
5372 upvotes
Toronto
whoa - interesting.

I'm still using my Blackberry Passport as a daily driver on Telus, mainly for Whatsapp, email, txts, calls, Youtube & listening to music (no other apps). I have a Iphone XS that I use for apps and work related stuff (mainly through Blackberry UEM software).

I haven't received any text or emails from Telus about BB10 no longer working after Jan 2022.............so I'm just really curious as Koodo is Telus' sub-brand.

EDIT - found more info on Koodo's website here:

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/bla ... -shut-down
In 2017, BlackBerry Limited committed to providing at least 2 more years of support for BB10 and at least 2 more years of BlackBerry network access for BBOS devices. BlackBerry Limited is now taking steps to decommission or terminate infrastructure services associated with devices running BlackBerry 7.1 OS and earlier, BlackBerry 10, and BlackBerry Playbook OS 2.1 and earlier.

This means, as of January 4, 2022, all legacy BlackBerry devices running BlackBerry software will no longer be functional on any carrier network, including Koodo. Your legacy BlackBerry device will no longer be able to support voice, data, SMS, and/or 911 services.

In order to avoid any disruption in service, you’ll need to upgrade to a new device.

For a full list of devices and service offerings that are affected, please visit https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/suppor ... nd-of-life
More info linked on Blackberry's webpage too:
n 2016, BlackBerry Executive Chairman and CEO John Chen announced that the company’s transition to a software company was complete. Since then, we’ve made great strides executing on our business strategy and today, we are focused on providing intelligent security software and services to enterprises and governments around the world.

As another milestone in the BlackBerry journey, we will be taking steps to decommission the legacy services for BlackBerry 7.1 OS and earlier, BlackBerry 10 software, BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1 and earlier versions, with an end of life or termination date of January 4, 2022. As of this date, devices running these legacy services and software will no longer reliably function, including for data, phone calls, SMS and 9-1-1 functionality. We have chosen to extend our service until then as an expression of thanks to our loyal partners and customers.

https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/suppor ... nd-of-life

More details on crackberry as well:
https://forums.crackberry.com/blackberr ... a-1190841/

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23401 posts
5372 upvotes
Toronto
I'm reading more on this & the Jan 4, 2022 date I don't see why the data, phone calls, SMS and 9-1-1 functionality won't work....................I think it would still....

With BB decommissioning legacy services for BlackBerry 7.1 OS and earlier, BlackBerry 10 software, BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1 and earlier versions, this is what BB states will happen:
These devices will lack the ability to receive over the air provisioning updates and as such, this functionality will no longer be expected to reliably function, including for data, phone calls, SMS and 9-1-1 functionality.​​​​ Applications (BlackBerry Link, BlackBerry Desktop Manager, and BlackBerry Blend) will also have limited functionality.
"No longer expected to reliably function" are the key words here......

Whelp, I'll give it a go & see what happens..............

Tho reading Crackberry - below are the best things to do if you are still using BB10 OS after Jan 4, 2022 (esp. if you ever plan to wipe & reset your phone in the future after Jan 4, 2022)

- back up your data & info onto non-BB software
- remove BB protect and BBID, then wipe your phone
- set up your email accounts on the hub after you wipe it (not sure if you can set up after BB decomms the legacy infrastructure)
- do not setup BB ID on the wiped phone evarrrrr

Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3898 posts
1217 upvotes
i just use my passport as an alarm clock... lol
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7171 posts
9143 upvotes
The NORTH
ji2o0k wrote:
With BB decommissioning legacy services for BlackBerry 7.1 OS and earlier, BlackBerry 10 software, BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1 and earlier versions, this is what BB states will happen:
Not My Playbook!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3898 posts
1217 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote: the sunrise alarm tone? If so, one of the bestest evvvarrrrrrrr
no, i used my own mp3... but maybe i need to switch it back...
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
2372 posts
1766 upvotes
Montreal, QC
CrazyJo82 wrote: Like for yahoo, i needed to generate a key.
My Yahoo account doesn't seem to work in BlackBerry Hub on both my BB10 devices as well as my Android BlackBerry Hub devices.

I get an error message about the credentials and I'm sure the credentials are correct since I log in with the same password (and Yahoo username/email) on my computer's browser and it works fine.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3898 posts
1217 upvotes
lmcjipo wrote: My Yahoo account doesn't seem to work in BlackBerry Hub on both my BB10 devices as well as my Android BlackBerry Hub devices.

I get an error message about the credentials and I'm sure the credentials are correct since I log in with the same password (and Yahoo username/email) on my computer's browser and it works fine.
it's not your password credential... it's an authentication credential you need to create and then it will give you a unique code.

You'll need to go to the yahoo mail on the computer, then click on your user profile and select "account info." A new window will pop up, select Account Security, look for "Other ways to sign in" and below is "App Password." Select Generate and manage app passwords." Give your app a name, this can by anything you want. Yahoo will then generate some random key for you to put into the BB Hub as the credential password.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23401 posts
5372 upvotes
Toronto
Jan 4, 2022 is just around the corner!!!

I'm still holding onto my BB Passport - still using it daily. Whatsapp still works - be interesting to see what (if anything) blows up on Jan 5!

A lot of good threads on Crackberry to remove BB Protect, wipe the BB10 device and do not load a BBID on it....

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackberr ... a-1192262/
https://forums.crackberry.com/blackberr ... a-1191407/

Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3898 posts
1217 upvotes
The BB10 is/was such a good OS though. Of course, there are always improvements but it was intuitive.