Cell Phones

Anyone switched from Note 7 to iPhone 7 plus?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2016 2:31 am
[OP]
May 5, 2011
427 posts
95 upvotes
Missisaga

Anyone switched from Note 7 to iPhone 7 plus?

Please share your experience with iPhone 7 plus usage compared to Note 7 - was it hard to adjust to a new OS? Any Plus and Cons? I'm thinking exchanging my Note 7 due to recall and want to give a try to iPhone 7 plus. Never had iPhones before and figured this should be a good time for some new experience. The only thing is I don't like downgrading to a smaller screen 5.7 vs 5.5 and I'll miss the S-Pen, but on the positive side I'm looking forward to experience iOS and it's smooth and simple interface. Camera wise I think it should be a wash (better low light for Note 7, but longer reach on iPhone 7 plus). Battery life wise I've heard iPhone 7 plus has an edge, so that's encouraging. Also, do iPhone really have a better resale value? Would be good to know

P.S. Please no trolling in this thread, I don't want any fanboys comments from either side. I'm interested in real life experience of those who DID switch from Note 7 to iPhone 7 plus recently or who has both phones currently
Public Mobile $38 4Gb LTE data on Canada's largest LTE network
Unlimited Province Wide Calling, Global Texting/MMS, Voicemail and Caller ID
iPhone 7 plus 128Gb Black
53 replies
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
780 upvotes
With ip7, your phone is good for at least 4 years. Any accidents, you can just go to apple store and get a new replacement for like $450... if you dropped it and screen shattered, its only $99 to replace the whole front. iOS is also a lot smoother than android and you can actually multitask lag-free Iol
[OP]
May 5, 2011
427 posts
95 upvotes
Missisaga
TheRed wrote: With ip7, your phone is good for at least 4 years. Any accidents, you can just go to apple store and get a new replacement for like $450... if you dropped it and screen shattered, its only $99 to replace the whole front. iOS is also a lot smoother than android and you can actually multitask lag-free Iol
Thank you! $99 for screen replacement is actually not bad - it's good to know!
P.S. Speaking of multitasking: I could do split screen window on Note 7 and do real multitasking - is this feature available in iOS on iPhone 7 plus?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20364 posts
6540 upvotes
Toronto
TheRed wrote: With ip7, your phone is good for at least 4 years. Any accidents, you can just go to apple store and get a new replacement for like $450... if you dropped it and screen shattered, its only $99 to replace the whole front. iOS is also a lot smoother than android and you can actually multitask lag-free Iol
Where did you get that $99 number?

Cuz screen replacement is actually $189 for the iPhone 7 Plus.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/iphone/ ... een-damage

Maybe you're thinking about the battery? That's $99.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
9281 posts
2039 upvotes
dushash wrote:
P.S. Speaking of multitasking: I could do split screen window on Note 7 and do real multitasking - is this feature available in iOS on iPhone 7 plus?
iPhone 7 plus as well as all the other iPhones do not have multi window multitasking.

It's just so much smoother and the phone does retain its value much better than other phones.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6929 posts
4200 upvotes
Between Countries
This might sound petty but I hate the IP7 non-pressable home button vs the real tactile feedback of the Samsung and previous iphones. I almost expect myself to eventually break the IP7 screen as I really want to press it and feel movement.
Last edited by DiceMan on Sep 27th, 2016 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
May 5, 2011
427 posts
95 upvotes
Missisaga
bobbings wrote:
dushash wrote:
iPhone 7 plus as well as all the other iPhones do not have multi window multitasking.

It's just so much smoother and the phone does retain its value much better than other phones.
Thank you. I guess overall smoothness of iPhone 7 plus is more important than split screen feature of Note 7 - which I don't use often and besides it's not that great on 5.7 screen to be honest, you basically end up with 2 tiny windows
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20364 posts
6540 upvotes
Toronto
Not petty, as I preferred a real button too, but that said I've since gotten used to the haptic iP7+ home button. Took me a few days to get used to it.

If you want to feel like you're gonna break the screen, use 3D Touch on an app that doesn't actually support it 3D Touch.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5508 posts
3627 upvotes
Toronto
4 years is a bit of a stretch and most iPhone's have a tendency to just magically slow down drastically after their 3rd major update.

How can you multi-task on iOS lag free when you can't actually multi-task on iOS? Outside of a few specific apps, iOS just freezes apps when they go into the background which does not qualify as multi-tasking. Android on the other hand is capable of handling many tasks at once and considering how rarely it actually lags(unless you buy a cheap piece of crap), I'd say 99% of the time, I'm multi-tasking without any lag...
[OP]
May 5, 2011
427 posts
95 upvotes
Missisaga
DiceMan wrote: This might sound petty but I hate the IP7 non-pressable home button vs the real tactile feedback of the Samsung and previous iphones. I almost expect myself to eventually break the IP7 screen as I really wanf to press it and feel movement.
I hear you, but on the other hand Note 7 finger sensor is not the best or to be honest one of the worst ones. It still gets the job done, but on occasion it requires several readings to recognize finger, plus it's one of the slowest sensors (compared to other phones). I'm not bashing Note 7 - I still love it, it's great phone, but I was an early adopter and I only say what I experienced myself. It has other strength, but finger sensor isn't one
[OP]
May 5, 2011
427 posts
95 upvotes
Missisaga
Jep4444 wrote:
4 years is a bit of a stretch and most iPhone's have a tendency to just magically slow down drastically after their 3rd major update.
Ok, now somebody reassure me, as this is getting ironic... I was under impression that it was Android phones who tend to slow down with time. Now I'm just about to get iPhone 7 plus next week and you guys tell me that same shit is happening with iOS? I'm confused...or is it that grass is always greener on the other side?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5508 posts
3627 upvotes
Toronto
dushash wrote:
Jep4444 wrote:
Ok, now somebody reassure me, as this is getting ironic... I was under impression that it was Android phones who tend to slow down with time. Now I'm just about to get iPhone 7 plus next week and you guys tell me that same **** is happening with iOS? I'm confused...or is it that grass is always greener on the other side?
Everything slows down with time. There are tons of things that can make a phone slow down. Apple just seems to nudge phones along by putting out updates that the phone can't handle. Doesn't help that Apple likes to make it so old versions of iOS aren't compatible with newer versions of apps.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19144 posts
2867 upvotes
Woodbridge
I didn't switch more like obsession. LOL

I currently have both. I said it before without Nova Prime (or Launchers), I probably would even bother but I love CUSTOMIZING my phone.

Apps: iOS has the advantage, it's more polished and in some cases works better. Take the NFL Mobile, I can't get scores to work that I uninstalled on my Note 7.

Apple Pay is amazing! I'm still waiting for android/Samsung Pay to arrive.

Love the new Home Button, of course it took time getting used to. Another advantage is you don't have to worry about it "sticking." Not that I ever had any issues.

Battery Life is much better. It's no secret iOS doesn't have to work as hard.

I have access to my Google purchases, iOS offers Play Movies.

Customer Service/Genius Bar: Let say my iPhone has a few dents, scratches. I could easily get it replaced, sure it's Refurbished but at least I have a new replacement. I've done it many times, not just with iPhone but iPod & iPad as well.

If I had to pick one, iPhone 7 Plus.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
9281 posts
2039 upvotes
dushash wrote:
Jep4444 wrote:
Ok, now somebody reassure me, as this is getting ironic... I was under impression that it was Android phones who tend to slow down with time. Now I'm just about to get iPhone 7 plus next week and you guys tell me that same **** is happening with iOS? I'm confused...or is it that grass is always greener on the other side?
You can't expect a phone from 4 years ago to keep up with technology lag free and problem free.

Of course there will be some slow downs but my old iPhone 5 still works great and only with ios10 would there start to be some lag. I don't know how android devices are after 3 or 4 years...
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20364 posts
6540 upvotes
Toronto
dushash wrote:
Jep4444 wrote:
Yes, definitely, it happens with both platforms.

The bad news that that iOS 9 rendered the iPhone 4S almost unusable (at least by geek performance metrics). And the worse news is that on iOS you only have a few days' to a few weeks' time to downgrade your OS. After that, you're stuck on that or a newer OS version forever.

The good news though is that even with iOS 10, the iPhone 5 (2012) does pretty OK, and the 5S (2013) does quite well. The 6s (2015) does very, very well. (We have all of these phones.) The 7 Plus I just got is the smoothest phone on any platform and any OS version I have ever tried. However, the 7 Plus with iOS 10.1 (beta) sets the new GUI smoothness bar.

Android's advantage is that you can downgrade and even install custom OSes you want, but in my experience, even flagship devices are just never as smooth as iOS... unless you're comparing to old iPhone hardware. That said, it's smooth enough. We're often talking nitpicky stuff so for most people they don't care.
Last edited by EugW on Sep 27th, 2016 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
May 5, 2011
427 posts
95 upvotes
Missisaga
bembol wrote: I didn't switch more like obsession. LOL

I currently have both. I said it before without Nova Prime (or Launchers), I probably would even bother but I love CUSTOMIZING my phone.

Apps: iOS has the advantage, it's more polished and in some cases works better. Take the NFL Mobile, I can't get scores to work that I uninstalled on my Note 7.

Apple Pay is amazing! I'm still waiting for android/Samsung Pay to arrive.

Love the new Home Button, of course it took time getting used to. Another advantage is you don't have to worry about it "sticking." Not that I ever had any issues.

Battery Life is much better. It's no secret iOS doesn't have to work as hard.

I have access to my Google purchases, iOS offers Play Movies.

Customer Service/Genius Bar: Let say my iPhone has a few dents, scratches. I could easily get it replaced, sure it's Refurbished but at least I have a new replacement. I've done it many times, not just with iPhone but iPod & iPad as well.

If I had to pick one, iPhone 7 Plus.
Thank you! Just couple questions tho: I have Samsung Pay on my Note 7 (it works on any older swiping terminals too, which I know non of other phones can do), not sure why you don't have it? Also, regarding battery life, you said "much better" - I don't know, I've seen tests - they show 10-15% better battery life for iPhone 7 plus vs Note 7
[OP]
May 5, 2011
427 posts
95 upvotes
Missisaga
EugW wrote:
dushash wrote:
Jep4444 wrote:

The bad news that that iOS 9 rendered the iPhone 4S almost unusable (at least by geek performance metrics). And the worse news is that on iOS you only have a few days' to a few weeks' time to downgrade your OS. After that, you're stuck on that or a newer OS version forever.

The good news though is that even with iOS 10, the iPhone 5 (2012) does pretty OK, and the 5S (2013) does quite well. The 6s (2015) does very, very well. (We have all of these phones.) The 7 Plus I just got is the smoothest phone on any platform and any OS version I have ever tried. However, the 7 Plus with iOS 10.1 (beta) sets the new GUI smoothness bar.

Android's advantage is that you can downgrade and even install custom OSes you want, but in my experience, even flagship devices are just never as smooth as iOS... unless you're comparing to old iPhone hardware. That said, it's smooth enough. We're often talking nitpicky stuff so for most people they don't care.
Oh, gotcha! Well, I'm looking forward to experience iOS :)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5508 posts
3627 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote:
dushash wrote:
Jep4444 wrote:

Android is also a more capable OS since it's a much more open system. Apps like Tasker are outright impossible on iOS because of it's design.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20364 posts
6540 upvotes
Toronto
Jep4444 wrote:
EugW wrote:
dushash wrote:

Android is also a more capable OS since it's a much more open system. Apps like Tasker are outright impossible on iOS because of it's design.
Open doesn't necessarily mean better. Open can mean better for some people and in some situations but for me it just means more junk much of the time. There are definite limitations to iOS and its applications, but the overall experience on iOS is much more consistent.

And if you're actually talking "capable" that has a lot of different meanings. What I've noticed is that the top tier apps often are developed on iOS or ported to iOS first (like from the desktop) and then Android gets it later, sometimes in a limited fashion. For example, if you are on Android and want some specific app but are running say an HTC phone, you often have less confidence that the app will actually run properly on that, which isn't surprising considering the app was developed with the Samsung S series in mind. I distinctly remember one very unfortunate example of this which was the Vonage long distance calling app for calling over WiFi. It just didn't run properly on my Motorola RAZR HD, which was bad because I was on vacation and didn't want to pay horrendous charges for roaming. Luckily, my wife's iPhone 4 ran it perfectly on iOS, even though that phone was way slower and way older. Turns out it ran fine on the Samsung Galaxy S3, but not the Motorola flagship phone. The really ironic part of this was the fact that Android's creator, Google, actually owned Motorola at the time. ie. This was indirectly a Google product, yet the software wouldn't even run on it properly. This situation can happen on iOS as well, but in my experience it happens a lot less on iOS.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4689 posts
357 upvotes
I have both and I cannot stand iOS most of the time, I am not a fan of their notification system at all (in my opinion, notifications on Android OS 6.0+ are so miles ahead of Apple in this space).

The one thing Apple has going for it is that the hardware and software work together really well and battery life is amazing with that regard due to the limitation of background apps running when an app is closed (unlike Android).

The Note 7 is also much better designed than the iPhone 7.

Apple will always have the customer service part as one of the best things that come with an Apple product compared to any other phone vendor.