• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2020 4:31 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 4, 2011
612 posts
365 upvotes
YYZ
bubble.tea wrote: I've been meaning to ask for awhile.

Been a year or so since using CBP, I'm actually content with customer service, never had any issues OTHER than the fact that they insist on chargin taxes on everything. Like let a couple things slide please?
Why would you expect them to let things slide? Everything is remitted to the govt, so you and they'd be committing fraud.

They don't charge tax if your package is under $20 (might be $40 now but haven't used CBP in a while) and everything else is in line with the CBSA's rules.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28591 posts
1296 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
zappy312 wrote: Why....
1. Call me an optimist? When Canada Post themSELVES would pass on some pkgs, the precedent was set lol.

The legacy impression "it's hit or miss" didn't come about from thin air.

Cbps charged me taxes on a really cheap parcel. They do not have a sub threshold in my experience.
PayTM$154, dead. SDM: $4632 Rakuten: $181.98
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Lowa, Taft*
*Various Szs Vintage: Hartt, Florsheim Imp*
Sep 1, 2006
89 posts
Misissauga
bubble.tea wrote: 1. Call me an optimist? When Canada Post themSELVES would pass on some pkgs, the precedent was set lol.
CBP is not the federal gov't, they are a private business and have to follow rules. Canada Post is Federal so I suppose can let "things slide" if they so choose. Canada post in my experience only lets low value(under ~$40) items "slide" as you say.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11223 posts
6208 upvotes
Markham
bubble.tea wrote: 1. Call me an optimist? When Canada Post themSELVES would pass on some pkgs, the precedent was set lol.

The legacy impression "it's hit or miss" didn't come about from thin air.

Cbps charged me taxes on a really cheap parcel. They do not have a sub threshold in my experience.
I thought taxes apply to everything brought over from US to Canada...there's no small package exemption on tax. It's the assessment on duties which is not entirely clear ie there's supposed to be a small package duty exempt rule.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28591 posts
1296 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
everynameistaken wrote: I had a ..... a wonder any packages are accepted at all. Its actually quite scary come to think of it. How many attempts will you get before your package is sent back, because these part-timers can't be bothered to put in a days work?

- "Covid hours", which were an insult to their already laughable hours of operation.

This is bad. Usps just gave me a "nobody to receive pkg" notice. Geez. Now to figure out how to do this.

Any clue what their hours are?

Do I just email usps and tell them when they can reattempt delivery?

I have another pkg still MIA delivered last week supposedly.

Oh boy.
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Lowa, Taft*
Nov 2, 2014
47 posts
13 upvotes
Markham, ON
How does it work with phones. How are you taxed if you buy a phone for $1000 and trade in a device in the US for $500 for example. If you paid only $500 would you just be taxed on the $500 or the value of the phone. What if theres promotions or deals to further discount this?
May 11, 2009
276 posts
95 upvotes
Burlington
bubble.tea wrote: This is bad. Usps just gave me a "nobody to receive pkg" notice. Geez. Now to figure out how to do this.

Any clue what their hours are?

Do I just email usps and tell them when they can reattempt delivery?

I have another pkg still MIA delivered last week supposedly.

Oh boy.
If that was their first attempt, USPS will automatically try again the next business day.
May 11, 2009
276 posts
95 upvotes
Burlington
CBP really slow at the moment.
Packages received at US location on Oct 19th and 20th. Still waiting for the email from them. I know they are busy, but crazy that I am going to be paying storage fees on my 1 package already there, as I am trying to ship a minimum amount of packages over to Canada.
Dec 12, 2019
7 posts
3 upvotes
I messaged with CBPU's chat service yesterday, they said they are now up to 60 unprocessed skids in NY (I saw another poster on here say they were told 50 as of last week), and they said they were currently processing items delivered on the 19th (as of yesterday).

My item arrived on the 20th, so hopeful that I will hear by end of this week.
Oct 30, 2020
7 posts
2 upvotes
I'm new to this forum and relatively new to cross border shopping.

Did everyone who has used CBP signed the form 1583 and provided them 2 copies of ID for USPS delivery? I ordered a t-shirt from Poshmark and it is out for delivery by USPS now. I wasn't aware of this form until today when I was looking up their business hours. I left them a message on the live chat but based on the comments here I may or may not received a response. I'm very worried that USPS will refuse delivery. Unfortunately USPS priority is the only shipping option on Poshmark.

Thanks.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28591 posts
1296 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
RinRinRin wrote:
Did everyone who has used CBP signed the form 1583 and provided them 2 copies of ID for USPS delivery? I ....
Is this something CBP has in their website that you fill out when you set up your profile? If yes, I guess I did. I can't recall.

Since they're SO DELAYED, I would say you'll be fine ti do it now.
Oct 30, 2020
7 posts
2 upvotes
bubble.tea wrote: Is this something CBP has in their website that you fill out when you set up your profile? If yes, I guess I did. I can't recall.

Since they're SO DELAYED, I would say you'll be fine ti do it now.
No it's not part of the signup process. I set up my account in July and went through many of their FAQs before signing up and nowhere did it mention this USPS form. It is in their blog post from early 2019 though, which I found out yesterday.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28591 posts
1296 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
Delivered
October 26, 2020
Delivered, Left with Individual
NIAGARA FALLS, NY

Just processed today for declaration.

FYI, they're slowly getting through the backlog.

In a capitalist economy you'd think consumers would pressure them to hire more employees to process the volume, are we seriously gonna be pushovers and let them walk all over us?

Ironically, if everyone boycotts them, their turn around will skyrocket LOL. But their revenue will still drop.

Anyone figure out how to reclaim NY state tax? If it's possible? They couldn't have set up shop in a 0% State tax spot?
Jun 23, 2016
55 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Damn just sent one of my Newegg purchases to my CBP address. Decided to check out the thread after and reading about these extended delays/full 10 day wait.

Wonder if Shippsy was the way to go on this one. I assume they would be pretty busy too. I only now made an account for them.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2015
1061 posts
877 upvotes
Ontario
mhenry84 wrote: Damn just sent one of my Newegg purchases to my CBP address. Decided to check out the thread after and reading about these extended delays/full 10 day wait.

Wonder if Shippsy was the way to go on this one. I assume they would be pretty busy too. I only now made an account for them.
Nah, UPS delivered my package at 12 pm and Shippsy sent me an email the same day at 5:30 pm. It arrived in Canada (Mississauga) at 7:30 pm two days later.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)