• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2015 12:50 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 22, 2010
286 posts
136 upvotes
Maple Ridge
kamascottra wrote: I didn't think vga could do 1080p, let along UHD...

I think UHD is hdmi and displayport only
Ive used VGA on 1440p well converted from dvi to VGA. And 1080p runs no problem on VGA. Virtually every monitor for sale uses VGA or comes with vga
Jan 31, 2009
131 posts
29 upvotes
Im not a techsavy or anything. Can you guys explain me how I can stream 4k content to test it out. I do have my computer close to the tv.
PSN : BungWu
Xbox Gametag : MasterZakuu
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1439 posts
194 upvotes
Winnipeg
aaronu wrote: Ive used VGA on 1440p well converted from dvi to VGA. And 1080p runs no problem on VGA. Virtually every monitor for sale uses VGA or comes with vga
ha, too funny. I haven't touched a pc monitor in years, so had no idea. the only time I see vga is on cheap data projectors, and my laptop. none of which can do 1920x1080. I thought that connector was 'dead'. oops
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1439 posts
194 upvotes
Winnipeg
voltgaming wrote: Im not a techsavy or anything. Can you guys explain me how I can stream 4k content to test it out. I do have my computer close to the tv.
I honestly don't know if you'll be able to. I think there's a couple 4k video clips you can view on youtube. you'd have to be able to play UHD off your computer though, which may or may not be possible depending on your video card
Oct 22, 2010
286 posts
136 upvotes
Maple Ridge
voltgaming wrote: Im not a techsavy or anything. Can you guys explain me how I can stream 4k content to test it out. I do have my computer close to the tv.
Well if ya have HDMI cable and can plug it in back computer and back of TV. And try boot up the PC. I know some 4k TV have one dedicated port for 4k. It will be clearly labeled. Once it's plugged in you go to your desktop and right click on main screen if on windows ,8 or 7 click screen resolution. See if you get like 3840x2160. Usually it will say the refresh rate at the resolution. If not you can do a test moving windows around see if there major ghosting. If there is major ghosting I'm gonna say HDMI is 1.4 which can handle 4k but at only 30 hzs if there very little ghosting then its all good. Anything above 60 hz is good and it would be HDMI 2.0.
Oct 28, 2003
296 posts
12 upvotes
Anyone have good settings to get the best picture n sound for this Tv? Couldnt find anything online. Also can anyone confirm if this is 60 or 120hz? My bro bought one this morning so I will check it out tomorrow.
Oct 21, 2005
837 posts
812 upvotes
Not really much point in getting a 4K under 60" unless you're going to sit directly in front of it from like 5 feet away. Anything more than 7 feet away from a 55" TV and you cannot physically notice anything more dense than 1080p. There's also not much 4K content available, anyway. I can see getting a 40" 4K TV for a computer monitor that you sit 3' away from (as long as it has 60Hz) or a 65" 4K TV if you do a lot of gaming and sit on the couch directly in front of it, but even still if you're more than 8' away from a 65" you will see zero improvement from 4K resolution vs 1080p and games may stutter more as they have to lower framerate to deal with increasing the resolution by 4 times. I'd rather pay for a quality 1080p panel. Even a 720p panel would probably fit 99% of peoples' needs, to be honest.
Dec 24, 2007
544 posts
156 upvotes
Any one able to test it out on true 4k source. How did it compare to other brands?
Feb 3, 2009
414 posts
284 upvotes
Fergus, ON
So what's the verdict on this tv?
My local target still has a few of these in stock.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25984 posts
10377 upvotes
Infamous1 wrote: Anyone have good settings to get the best picture n sound for this Tv? Couldnt find anything online. Also can anyone confirm if this is 60 or 120hz? My bro bought one this morning so I will check it out tomorrow.
If it's similar to a Seiki 4K, try AVSFORUM. They should have a dedicated thread for that TV. Let me look...

Here's the 50" Seiki 4K thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-f ... hread.html
Jan 31, 2009
131 posts
29 upvotes
I think this TV is not even 4k. Plugged in PC can't seem to get higher than 1080p resolution. Tried rebooting and new wires. Nothing...
PSN : BungWu
Xbox Gametag : MasterZakuu
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1439 posts
194 upvotes
Winnipeg
voltgaming wrote: I think this TV is not even 4k. Plugged in PC can't seem to get higher than 1080p resolution. Tried rebooting and new wires. Nothing...
are you sure your computer can output 4k?
Jan 15, 2013
1 posts
Vancouver
I p/u one in Richmond Hill and returned it 4 hours later after failing to kick the set into 4K. When I returned it at 14:00hrs, a guy was purchasing 2 and I warned him. I tried everything with a 4K capable graphics card. HDMI 1.4a to HDMI, Display Port 1.2 to HDMI, DVI to HDMI, and DVI to VGA all failed. I even contacted Element support - they said they would get back to me, and I'm still waiting a week later. The manual provides nothing. I suspect the set will only upscale 1080 to 4K, if that.
Mar 24, 2012
125 posts
28 upvotes
West Coast
anomynous wrote: I p/u one in Richmond Hill and returned it 4 hours later after failing to kick the set into 4K. When I returned it at 14:00hrs, a guy was purchasing 2 and I warned him. I tried everything with a 4K capable graphics card. HDMI 1.4a to HDMI, Display Port 1.2 to HDMI, DVI to HDMI, and DVI to VGA all failed. I even contacted Element support - they said they would get back to me, and I'm still waiting a week later. The manual provides nothing. I suspect the set will only upscale 1080 to 4K, if that.
This Element set is a rebranded Seiki that does in fact do 4K confirmed by other users but at 30hz. Here's the Seiki amazon listing, read the comments/reviews for confirmation on the 4K :

http://www.amazon.ca/Seiki-SE55UY04-55- ... B00IMNTH10
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5156 posts
616 upvotes
in a plane
This "does it do 4K" discussion reminds me of the Acer AT3705-DTV deal from 2006...... ahh good RFD lore.
Doko ni itemo... hito wa tsunagatte iru.
  • Get an Amex - get lots of points - get good karma! :)
  • wandering amphibia – a travel blog for the non-frequent traveler
Apr 30, 2017
42 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I bought this tv on boxing day and hooked it up to my android tv that was able to output 4k @ 30 Hz. I compared a 4k video source while the android tv was outputting either at 4k 30 Hz, and 1080p 60 Hz, and sitting 8-9 feet away I did see the difference. The difference is subtle, but if you focus on it then you can really enjoy the videos then. Too bad there isn't enough 4k content now.

It's also surprising cuz I upgraded from a 720p led projector, and this tv really blows away the visuals. I mean, when you have a 1080p source, this tv really shows the HD quality of the movie. The menu on this tv is a little outdated, but after you optimize the settings, you don't have to touch the menu any more. Hope this helps.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)