Food & Drink

Anyone try online grocery store pickup or delivery?

• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2020 1:31 am
[OP]
Jan 24, 2015
529 posts
416 upvotes
GTA

Anyone try online grocery store pickup or delivery?

Loblaws stores (Loblaws, No Frills and RCSS) have pickup. But their pickup slots are fully booked for the next 2 weeks (at the stores closest to me).

Anyone have issues with the services, are the prices higher online?

Walmart has pickup and delivery, but I expect they are as busy as the Loblaws. Costco's grocery delivery is limited in its options, fewer fresh items. Are there any other stores in the GTA that provide this service?
21 replies
Jul 20, 2012
689 posts
223 upvotes
Toronto
We ordered from M&M'S yesterday for pickup. They had everything and gave us a pick up time. We haven't been there in years but I'm stuck in the house. The store did say they went from 5 orders a day to 50
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
3734 posts
1654 upvotes
Any updates on this service, especially about pickup slot times?
May 10, 2017
316 posts
192 upvotes
What about instacart?
Anyone try that?
Donate to your local food bank today!
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3439 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
I haven't - BUT - apparently if you have an Instacart card you can bypass the million mile lines of people. Note - Instacart is on strike in some places in the U.S. - not sure about Canada. The security fellow at Loblaws told me.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1462 posts
563 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Dollarama will deliver or you can pickup at a few locations around the GTA. Its a $10 flat fee, either way. The major drawback, however, is everything is by the case only, and their range is limited. But if you want 24 tubes of toothpaste for $1 each, its a great option. They do have branded toilet paper and paper towel as well. We also bought a case of potato chips.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1171 posts
642 upvotes
Ripley
I used to use PC express all the time. Prices are the same in store and online. If you pick delivery from any of the Loblaws type stores the prices are more online than in store. I think Galen Weston said in a recent email they would be charging the same during this time but as you can see - no time slots. He also asked healthy people to not use pick up or delivery services and to let vulnerable use them. Their system is totally overwhelmed.

I totally forgot about Dollarama delivery!
Sep 10, 2007
486 posts
135 upvotes
Toronto
Ordered from Metro online for the first time. Expecting delivery today (Sunday) afternoon.
It took me 2 days to get a delivery slot it was so busy all last week. $11 delivery fee.

I didn't get the option for a 'pick up' location by my Postal Code, even though there's a Metro up the street from me (not even an outside/parking lot pick-up or something). Only 2 locations were available, like in Burlington and some other faraway location. It just feels so weird getting delivery from a store just down the street, because I'm so used to the quick walk/exercise, but oh well...
pmb

"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."
~ Henry J. Kaiser
Mar 15, 2010
641 posts
145 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I see loblaws booked until 3 weeks from now in Richmond Hill!!!
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1641 posts
1051 upvotes
Thumbs down to Dollarama for $10 pick up fee. Why?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6175 posts
3231 upvotes
Mississauga
my0gr81 wrote: Thumbs down to Dollarama for $10 pick up fee. Why?
Because they can?
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1766 posts
796 upvotes
Ontario
I've used PC express pick up twice and it is a good service. The fee is $0, but I could see myself continuing to use it when things improve as $3 to have someone do my shopping is well worth it.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1308 posts
768 upvotes
Ottawa
Tried delivery from our local Metro (in Ottawa). $11 (or maybe $11.95) delivery fee, first delivery slot one week later.

Worked fine, but give up any attempt to price-shop! When the items were delivered, they were at the price on the day of delivery, not the price in effect at time of ordering. I'm not going to fuss about it, since everyone is swamped these days and I doubt the store's business model really allows anything else, but it was rather a (negative) surprise.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3396 posts
633 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
I live downtown. I have tried literally EVERY SINGLE SERVICE and I can not get any slots. No matter what time of day I try. I used to use walmart pretty regularly before this mess. Now I can not even log into my walmart account. Whenever I try instacart or the other same day/week services, I always get "not available". it is stupid frustrating. I am normally a cheap Meiser, but we are in a better position financially than an awful lot of others in the city atm and I can't even get the more expensive (grocery gateway etc.) delivery services.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Dec 8, 2015
300 posts
150 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
willdacanucker wrote: I live downtown. I have tried literally EVERY SINGLE SERVICE and I can not get any slots. No matter what time of day I try. I used to use walmart pretty regularly before this mess. Now I can not even log into my walmart account. Whenever I try instacart or the other same day/week services, I always get "not available". it is stupid frustrating. I am normally a cheap Meiser, but we are in a better position financially than an awful lot of others in the city atm and I can't even get the more expensive (grocery gateway etc.) delivery services.
Grocery Gateway just opened up a slot for May 1, RUN!
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1799 posts
221 upvotes
Mississauga
For anybody who can't get slots, new slots are released at midnight or 1 am for PC Express and Walmart.... I was able to secure a slot 2 weeks out at PC Express and will continue to do that on a two-week rotation going forwards.
Banned
Apr 25, 2020
722 posts
558 upvotes
M1C
Grocery stores scrambling to keep up with online orders
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3656 posts
851 upvotes
GTA
I used the service a few times and every single time I was disappointed. I understand they are incredibly busy so I won't fault them for being considerably late (although you could argue that they are biting off more than they can chew and should not take so many orders), but even when I allow for substitutions I am missing ~25% of my order. Furthermore, when it comes to fruit and vegetables, I get ones that look close to going bad. I also find that some of the products expire too soon and had I been in store I would not have purchased the items.

For that reason, I decided to just start going grocery shopping once every 10 days and it's been a much better experience. Are there risks, of course but I figure I should leave the delivery slots for people who physically cannot make it out to the grocery stores.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6175 posts
3231 upvotes
Mississauga
Yeah, that’s my biggest issue with food ordering services: I like to select my own fresh produce and meats.