Home & Garden

Anyone use Just Energy as Oakville Electricity Provider?

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 7th, 2021 6:45 pm
[OP]
Member
Aug 30, 2009
226 posts
59 upvotes

Anyone use Just Energy as Oakville Electricity Provider?

I'm looking into signing up with a hydro provider in the Oakville area. I understand that it is deregulated so you can go with the local utility provider, Hydro One for regulated rates under Time of Use and Tiered pricing models, or you can go with other service providers that may offer fixed, variable, or floating rate plans. One such provider is Just Energy.

Compared to the Tiered (12 - 14 cents/kWh) and TOU rates (8/12/17 cents/kWh) of Hydro One, Just Energy is advertising 5 cents/kWh, variable rate, on a 5 year term according to their website.

Anyone have any experience with this or other similar providers? Does it really end up being significantly cheaper because the rate is that much better or do they throw on a bunch of other fees?

I'm expecting to use less than 600kWh per month.

Thanks for any feedback.
9 replies
Member
Feb 5, 2015
355 posts
445 upvotes
Toronto
5c variable, screams the issues people in texas are having with $10k electric bills after the storm
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2750 posts
1513 upvotes
Mississauga
speedrun wrote: I'm looking into signing up with a hydro provider in the Oakville area. I understand that it is deregulated so you can go with the local utility provider, Hydro One for regulated rates under Time of Use and Tiered pricing models, or you can go with other service providers that may offer fixed, variable, or floating rate plans. One such provider is Just Energy.

Compared to the Tiered (12 - 14 cents/kWh) and TOU rates (8/12/17 cents/kWh) of Hydro One, Just Energy is advertising 5 cents/kWh, variable rate, on a 5 year term according to their website.

Anyone have any experience with this or other similar providers? Does it really end up being significantly cheaper because the rate is that much better or do they throw on a bunch of other fees?

I'm expecting to use less than 600kWh per month.

Thanks for any feedback.
Just dont. They will kill you with all other charges like delivery etc. These advertised extra low rates are just to lure you in.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 30, 2004
3933 posts
1180 upvotes
Durham Region
If you sign with an energy retailer, you get stuck paying the global adjustment which is generally in the range of 10-15 cents per kw/h. Better off with tiered pricing as it's already built in to that.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 27, 2006
3623 posts
673 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
600kwh per month is a lot unless you're running a business or have an electric water tank, a big family or ...? Maybe implement your own energy savings plan to save $.
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
14308 posts
4028 upvotes
Scarberia
i used 689 kWh in January..that was my highest in last 12months...usually its around 450ish avg! anyone use over 1000kWh? prolly all the cameras i got setup 24/7 drains it!
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6163 posts
3227 upvotes
Mississauga
My last Alectra bill was 839 kWh for one month.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2750 posts
1513 upvotes
Mississauga
mikka2017 wrote: i used 689 kWh in January..that was my highest in last 12months...usually its around 450ish avg! anyone use over 1000kWh? prolly all the cameras i got setup 24/7 drains it!
I think I got around 1200KWH for a couple of months last summer.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 12, 2009
20216 posts
8297 upvotes
Toronto
fergy wrote: 600kwh per month is a lot unless you're running a business or have an electric water tank, a big family or ...? Maybe implement your own energy savings plan to save $.
I could open the main breaker for 12 out of 24 hours in a day and keep to 600 kwh consumption per month. My usage is around 1200 kwh. WFH adds a good 10-15% usage.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, Simplii

Top