Shopping Discussion

Anyone use SCC Parcel Pickup in Port Huron to receive packages in the US?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2012 11:07 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 3, 2010
905 posts
342 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Anyone use SCC Parcel Pickup in Port Huron to receive packages in the US?

Hi everyone. I know in the Niagara / Buffalo area, you have places like:

http://www.cbiusa.com/ - CBI
http://www.usaddressinc.com/ - US Address Inc

that will act as a US street address for you so that you can ship things there. Then you just go and pick it up, pay your handling fee (something like $5 - $6 per package) and away you go.

I looked up the Michigan side and I found:

http://www.usparcelpickup.com/ - SCC Parcel Pickup

Their website says they have been in business for 15 years. But I don't habitually trust what companies (especially small places like these) write on their website. So I was hoping that someone on RFD has heard of and used the services of SCC Parcel Pickup. Are they good to deal with?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
9 replies
Sep 17, 2010
3 posts
Toronto
I'm having the same issue too!

I'm out here in Toronto and I don't drive (nor can I get someone to drive me to the border) but I've been looking for a reputable mail forwarding service(s) that are located in the States that I can make payments from here when I make my online USA purchases.

I've done extensive Googling searches, and yes, there are tons of mail forwarding sites that charge ridiculous fees/charges/whatever, that really it's NOT worth it or the hassles involved.

It's about the equivalent of using FEDEX or UPS services with their crazy, expensive brokerage fees tacked on for extra measure before that ACTUAL 'Shipping and Handling' costs kick in!

I've also encountered American vendors (especially online) that will ONLY accept USA credits. I don't have an American credit card and that's a real problem when making purchases from the States.

But I've heard a lot of Canadians going across the border and opening up an American bank account (or opening up a store credit card like Macy's or other) in order to get their credit card.

Does anybody out there know what I can do?

Can I do anything about this too, or am I outta luck??? :(
[OP]
Jun 3, 2010
905 posts
342 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Haida123 wrote: I'm having the same issue too!

I'm out here in Toronto and I don't drive (nor can I get someone to drive me to the border) but I've been looking for a reputable mail forwarding service(s) that are located in the States that I can make payments from here when I make my online USA purchases.

I've done extensive Googling searches, and yes, there are tons of mail forwarding sites that charge ridiculous fees/charges/whatever, that really it's NOT worth it or the hassles involved.

It's about the equivalent of using FEDEX or UPS services with their crazy, expensive brokerage fees tacked on for extra measure before that ACTUAL 'Shipping and Handling' costs kick in!

I've also encountered American vendors (especially online) that will ONLY accept USA credits. I don't have an American credit card and that's a real problem when making purchases from the States.

But I've heard a lot of Canadians going across the border and opening up an American bank account (or opening up a store credit card like Macy's or other) in order to get their credit card.

Does anybody out there know what I can do?

Can I do anything about this too, or am I outta luck??? :(

Actually, apparently, you do not need to have an actual American Bank account. What people have done is to get a US$ Visa from any of the Canadian banks (TD, RBC, BMO, etc). Then you let your bank know that you have a "secondary" address that you would like to use. That address would be the address of one of these places that allow you to ship stuff to.

Since this is now on record, you can use this as the billing address when you check out on these web site. It's a US address that is associated with a VISA / MC card. To the vendor, this makes it an American credit card and you are on your way.

Ship the stuff to this address as well, then go down and pick it up when you are able to. This would actually be the best way to do it.

Anytime you forward parcels and goods into Canada, you have the risk of paying duties on it. This is where the whole "buying from the States" thing would fall apart...the Duties and Brokerage Fees.

Picking it up yourself and carrying it across the border will definitely save you the brokerage fees.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2004
3444 posts
69 upvotes
have used scc multiple times. no problems.
Apr 17, 2012
1 posts
We've used SCC for years with no problems! $5 per box is cheap!
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2011
2191 posts
459 upvotes
Winnipeg
There's a place in Pembina, ND that only charges 2 bucks for 1-5 pound packages, and there is another that charges 5 for 1-20 pounds, and just 15 for cars with no extra charges for 30 days! They are Corner Bar Parcel Service and Pembina Parcel respectively. I recommend them for anyone in Wpg.
😉
Apr 20, 2012
1 posts
LONDON
I use SCC all the time. Its a great way to save shipping and customs and brokerage fees. It's very close to the border and takes just a few minutes to get there. Building isn't much to look at but the employees are always courteous and professional. Very quick service - simply pay your $5 bucks and show your ID, sign for your package and you're on your way. Never spent more than 5 minutes in and out. Great place, use it often.
toram23901 wrote: Hi everyone. I know in the Niagara / Buffalo area, you have places like:

http://www.cbiusa.com/ - CBI
http://www.usaddressinc.com/ - US Address Inc

that will act as a US street address for you so that you can ship things there. Then you just go and pick it up, pay your handling fee (something like $5 - $6 per package) and away you go.

I looked up the Michigan side and I found:

http://www.usparcelpickup.com/ - SCC Parcel Pickup

Their website says they have been in business for 15 years. But I don't habitually trust what companies (especially small places like these) write on their website. So I was hoping that someone on RFD has heard of and used the services of SCC Parcel Pickup. Are they good to deal with?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.