Automotive

Anyone using vintage license plates with personalized plate registration?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2022 6:40 pm
[OP]
Sep 19, 2013
930 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto

Anyone using vintage license plates with personalized plate registration?

I saw this random Dodge Durango on the road the other day using a vintage license plate from the 1940s. Clearly it wasn't a 1940 car so it wasn't under the Year of Manufacture program that Ontario has where you can run a 1959 plate if you have a 1959 car for example. It got me thinking though - how many are out there using a vintage license plate not through this Year of Manufacture program but rather by owning the plate number via personalized plate?

E.g. you find a set of old license plates like this 1937 plate where the number is available, so you pay the fee at ServiceOntario to buy personalized plates with the same number, then you simply attach the old plate to your car instead of the new plate. I suspect it's not totally legal but it sure looks cool.

7 replies
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3385 posts
1999 upvotes
Mississauga
Are you sure it was not a red diplomat plate?

According to the link below vintage plate can only be used on 1973 and earlier vehicles; the plate year should also match the vehicle year. My take is the Durango with vintage plates is not legal according to the MTO and will likely get a ticket under the HTA.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-year-ma ... ence-plate
[OP]
Sep 19, 2013
930 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto
bubuski wrote: Are you sure it was not a red diplomat plate?

According to the link below vintage plate can only be used on 1973 and earlier vehicles; the plate year should also match the vehicle year. My take is the Durango with vintage plates is not legal according to the MTO and will likely get a ticket under the HTA.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-year-ma ... ence-plate
The one I saw was a black plate with orange letters. But you're right, reading into it further and it's not legally possible for plates older than 1973.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
5251 posts
3685 upvotes
Ontario
I have 1974 blue plates and a vehicle manufactured in 1974 so just miss being able to use them. Wonder if cut-off date will ever change as vehicles get older.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4130 posts
4356 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
There's specific rules about this. You could probably run it until you encounter an officer having a bad day lol.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
5251 posts
3685 upvotes
Ontario
Ecsta wrote: There's specific rules about this. You could probably run it until you encounter an officer having a bad day lol.
There seems to be enough of them about.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15131 upvotes
Being on a Durango sounds like it was quite illegal...
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2006
1331 posts
1067 upvotes
Ottawa
The main issue with YOM plates is that most numbers have been reissued. I have YOM plates on both my 1965s, and they are tough to get a set with clear numbers.