• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2019 1:05 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 26, 2013
46 posts
2 upvotes

Anyone using voip homephone

Looking for a low cost voip service with good quality and reliability. Any recommendations?
30 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25972 posts
11413 upvotes
I like voip.ms since they have a bunch of features for consumers.
They're also cheap unless you spend a ridiculous amount of time on the phone.
Aug 5, 2005
422 posts
228 upvotes
I use the Magic jack and I have a Canadian number, I'm good with the price and service. You can get a MJ at Walmart for around $50 which give you a year service plus you pay another $20 for a Canadian number. I found it to be cheaper than Fongo. Oh yeah forgot to mention I use it with my smartphone, get the app from Google. I use that when I find free wifi or at home with my unlimited internet
Last edited by $n00ker on Jun 25th, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2007
3054 posts
573 upvotes
Thumbs up for Voip.ms. My parents have been using it for about 5 years now - and it's excellent support and the bill is usually a couple dollars a month.
Positive Investing!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5365 posts
1004 upvotes
Montreal
I've been with VOIP.MS for more than 10 years. I've been very happy with it.
Phils
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15539 posts
2364 upvotes
Toronto
I prefer freephoneline.ca since there are no monthly fees and free calling to many Canadian cities; however, the upfront cost and lack of technical support may be a deterrent to some.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1129 posts
1214 upvotes
Nothing is as portable as VOIP.MS. The service has always been super reliable and you can even use it on your cellphone to call. Super cheap long distant call, etc.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
3968 posts
821 upvotes
FPL. About 12 yrs. ago, I paid about $110 for the adapter, and SIP unlock code which works out to be about $1 a month since then.
signature closed for renovation
[OP]
Mar 26, 2013
46 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks for the recommendations. Can’t take the death grip Bell has over me with home phone, Fibe tv, and internet and want to port my home phone to another provider. Then I can cancel the services and sign up for triple play again and get a cheap deal for 2 years as a new customer.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5365 posts
1004 upvotes
Montreal
Exactly what I did for exactly the same reasons.
Cancelled Bell Satellite and home phone and never looked back.
Couldn't wait to get away from Bell.
Phils
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1535 posts
519 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
Lots of good options have already presented. My own suggestion is Ooma. If you just want Canada wide calling, pay the $5 fee once a month and you are done. Zero maintenance. The only time I have problems, is because my internet is down.

voip.ms is cheaper, but I found since you have to bring your own hardware, and periodically you'll have to toggle to a different gateway it is more effort.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5365 posts
1004 upvotes
Montreal
Regarding having to move to another gateway, I've never had to do this since I started in 2009. That being said, Montreal, the one I use, is changing IP addresses on July 10th and my old PAPT2 had to be setup by ip rather than by url so that will take a bit of maintenance. On the other hand, my newer Obihai and my VOIP.MS cellphone apps will be OK.
Phils
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2007
3054 posts
573 upvotes
Phils wrote: Regarding having to move to another gateway, I've never had to do this since I started in 2009. That being said, Montreal, the one I use, is changing IP addresses on July 10th and my old PAPT2 had to be setup by ip rather than by url so that will take a bit of maintenance. On the other hand, my newer Obihai and my VOIP.MS cellphone apps will be OK.
What app are you using to take advantage of voip.ms on your phone and what’s the advantages here?
Positive Investing!
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
4545 posts
2151 upvotes
Toronto
Freephoneline. Can't beat $0 monthly payment, free LD to major CAN cities. Everywhere else, I use Google voice.