• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2020 1:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2006
1049 posts
36 upvotes

ANYONE IN VANCOUVER AREA WANT TO RENT OUT THEIR CAR

I'm looking to rent a car for 2-3 months. I Just need something that works to get around. Anyone have a car, sitting at home?
11 replies
Nov 7, 2016
641 posts
249 upvotes
Ontario
Enterprise, Budget, Avis, Turo, etc etc all do long term rentals...
No offense, you'd be insane imho to personally 'rent' a car to someone you don't know...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2451 posts
1338 upvotes
I'd do a repurchase agreement with the OP in a heartbeat if I lived in Vancouver or BC for that matter. I don't know if he'd want to drive my $500 car though, but it certainly passes safety and emissions.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2006
1049 posts
36 upvotes
burnt69 wrote: I'd do a repurchase agreement with the OP in a heartbeat if I lived in Vancouver or BC for that matter. I don't know if he'd want to drive my $500 car though, but it certainly passes safety and emissions.
Ya that'd work for me, just need to be able to get safely from point A to B. Too bad, your not in BC
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
6899 posts
7276 upvotes
Vancouver
Good luck with that. In BC, private vehicle owners renting out their cars to others need to have commercial insurance, which in the Vancouver area costs upwards of $500/month. This is really only feasible for luxury car owners who want to rent them out to people who want to be a baller for a day. Not feasible for daily driver A to B purposes. Look into Evo or Modo. There's also car2go but they are leaving Vancouver at the end of February.
Jul 25, 2015
523 posts
245 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
In BC to ride someone's car you will need your name to be in their insurance. That will effect the insurance premiums. If you're a new driver or had accidents then expect those premiums to go up 2k or up to 5k from what I've seen in the news. Just buy a car for $700. Craigslist has plenty.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
18180 posts
3178 upvotes
Toronto
Get a Zipcar membership or work something out with Avis. That, or buy a cheap bike or moped.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
May 16, 2017
924 posts
973 upvotes
Piklishi wrote: In BC to ride someone's car you will need your name to be in their insurance. That will effect the insurance premiums. If you're a new driver or had accidents then expect those premiums to go up 2k or up to 5k from what I've seen in the news. Just buy a car for $700. Craigslist has plenty.
As previous poster pointed-out - named drivers is only applicable for personal use/drive to work use - for rentals more than 6 days (and maybe even less now with the "new" rules) commercial insurance is required. There is a peer-to-peer (google it - you will find turo and others) rental insurance available that is cheaper but you'r not going to find much choice for long-term rentals. Basically, what is desired is really a very short-term lease.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26034 posts
11485 upvotes
IcarusLSC wrote: Enterprise, Budget, Avis, Turo, etc etc all do long term rentals...
I'd go with this. It's not THAT expensive relatively speaking.
Insurance however might be. Collision through the rental place can run $30/day and credit cards can only cover from 20-50 days consecutively depending on your card.

Alternatively is to buy a vehicle and then sell it 3 months later.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
12324 posts
7217 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Buy a lambo, drive it for 3 months and sell it.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!