Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3933 posts
1599 upvotes
Scarborough

Anyone wash their poultry with vinegar?

When I asked the few that do it, they tell me because if it's not washed properly they can taste the bitterness of the chicken. I honestly never really put too much thought into it but does anyone here wash their chicken like this? Does it enhance the flavor of the marinades?
50 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27781 posts
13379 upvotes
Chicken is bitter?
Apparently I do have terrible taste buds...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9831 posts
4134 upvotes
Wash or let it soak in vinegar water? I suppose it might tenderize it like buttermilk used to marinate fried chicken. Both are slightly acid.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7884 posts
4516 upvotes
Alberta
Never even heard of bitter chicken...butter chicken...mmm. Wife sometimes rinses it off with a kosher salt brine.
May 28, 2012
11373 posts
3594 upvotes
Saskatoon
I've heard you're not supposed to wash store-bought chicken due to splashing bacteria all over the place. I still rinse in cold water and pat dry with paper towel because it gets rid of the slimy film. If you use good kitchen practices i.e. no cross contaminating, wash surfaces down with hot soapy water, etc...you will be okay. I don't see how chicken can be bitter unless something was added to it to make it so.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6800 posts
3895 upvotes
Aurora
I've never heard of the practice. It seems like a waste of vinegar when water is readily available.
Nov 30, 2015
407 posts
206 upvotes
GTA, ON
Mars2012 wrote: I've heard you're not supposed to wash store-bought chicken due to splashing bacteria all over the place. I still rinse in cold water and pat dry with paper towel because it gets rid of the slimy film. If you use good kitchen practices i.e. no cross contaminating, wash surfaces down with hot soapy water, etc...you will be okay. I don't see how chicken can be bitter unless something was added to it to make it so.
Yeah, I don't like that slimy stuff either so I do rinse with cold water as well along with the sink washing, etc. But I don't pat dry as that little moisture/wetness becomes part of my brine when I add salt and other dry seasonings like onion, garlic and ginger powder. Got to try adding Vietnamese fish sauce one day to find out what that taste like.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9643 posts
1874 upvotes
Toronto
I use vinegar but really to get some of that chicken smell out.
I've used lime and lemon in the past as well.
More gamey stuff like duck and goat I use flour.
I see how vinegar may affect the texture of meat, but if washed thoroughly and then seasoned well, shouldn't affect the taste.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27781 posts
13379 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: I've heard you're not supposed to wash store-bought chicken due to splashing bacteria all over the place.
This is true.
It can be mitigated, but I'd rather not sanitize my entire kitchen afterwards.
I still rinse in cold water and pat dry with paper towel because it gets rid of the slimy film.

Where do you buy your chicken? It shouldn't be slimy if fresh.
It does get pretty funky though if it's not.
gh05t wrote: I use vinegar but really to get some of that chicken smell out.
(Fresh) chicken also shouldn't smell.
wat.jpg
I see how vinegar may affect the texture of meat, but if washed thoroughly and then seasoned well, shouldn't affect the taste.
That really depends on how much time vinegar (or any acid) contacts the meat.
If it's just washed then rinsed yeah.
But if it remains in contact for any significant amount of time it'll definitely affect texture.
Dec 8, 2015
330 posts
174 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
OrangeBerry wrote: When I asked the few that do it, they tell me because if it's not washed properly they can taste the bitterness of the chicken. I honestly never really put too much thought into it but does anyone here wash their chicken like this? Does it enhance the flavor of the marinades?
I was brought up that way, soaking chicken in vinegar for a few minutes and rinsing it off. It takes away the gamey smell and slime coat of the chicken that people find offputting.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12919 posts
1320 upvotes
If you are from the Carribean, then washing with something acidic (lime juice/lemon juice/vinegar) is common practice.
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
FS: Acer Predator G1-710 Gaming PC
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1764 posts
857 upvotes
gh05t wrote: I use vinegar but really to get some of that chicken smell out.
I've used lime and lemon in the past as well.
Chicken is usually very little smell unless its going bad. Vinegar is a much more pungent and strong smell. It seems like you're making the smells in the house worse Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1073 upvotes
RAINMAN0 wrote: Chicken is usually very little smell unless its going bad. Vinegar is a much more pungent and strong smell. It seems like you're making the smells in the house worse Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Agreed
Chicken has smelled like nothing to me
Smell of vinegar though, not a fan
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19354 posts
2128 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Chicken breasts I buy almost never have any kind of film I don’t know where you people are shopping. The air chilled at the best. Get them out cut it up and cook although to be fair I do give it a generous helping of spice and herb and seasoning so I’m not exactly a discerning eater.
I guess it’s the fact trust there are no skin so slimy factornis reduced.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27781 posts
13379 upvotes
Siefer999 wrote: If you are from the Carribean, then washing with something acidic (lime juice/lemon juice/vinegar) is common practice.
Not to be countryist? but I think that stemmed from not very great refrigeration generally speaking so chicken was funky to start with.
That also explains heavily spiced seasonings to cover questionable chicken.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9643 posts
1874 upvotes
Toronto
Siefer999 wrote: If you are from the Carribean, then washing with something acidic (lime juice/lemon juice/vinegar) is common practice.
death_hawk wrote: Not to be countryist? but I think that stemmed from not very great refrigeration generally speaking so chicken was funky to start with.
That also explains heavily spiced seasonings to cover questionable chicken.
Indeed growing up in the Caribbean plays a great part in it as it's what we have become accustomed to.
We see Westerners bringing home a slab of meat from the supermarket and just throwing it on the grill and turn up our noses.
I know what spoilt chicken and fish smells like and looks like and would throw it out in a flash.
If I don't prepare my meats the way I do, I can smell the chicken smelling like when you throw hot water on the chicken to defeather it.
Boiled chicken basically.
To me this is distasteful, but for people from other cultures this may seem the norm, and they pay no attention to it. and so it does not bother them or is not noticeable.
We are accustomed to adding water as our liquid of choice when cooking instead of stocks/broths, wines etc that some other culture's use.
We think you should let meats braise or cook off all the initial or natural water from the meat first, before adding liquid to cook potatoes etc that might need further cooking.
Some people's kitchen also has the smell because they do not clean their kitchen sinks after handling meat over it etc.
Some people also smell this way too. Not sure why.
It's why I use vim, comet, lysol wipes etc to thoroughly clean in and around the sink after handling fish, meats etc
My younger brother who grew up in Canada thinks our traditional usage of too much "green" seasoning in the Caribbean is overkill.
He believes you ought to taste the fish as in it's natural state etc and shouldn't be drowned out by seasonings.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9641 posts
3904 upvotes
Toronto
perhaps chickens who are constantly asked why they are crossing the road makes them bitter.
/s

if you're going to use a vinegar soak don't i wouldn't suggest doing it for more than an hour or 2 or it will mess up the texture.

and stop washing your chicken
Here’s Why You Should Never Wash Chicken Before Cooking It
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6647 posts
2990 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
death_hawk wrote: Not to be countryist? but I think that stemmed from not very great refrigeration generally speaking so chicken was funky to start with.
The chicken eaten in developing countries is generally lot fresher than in developed countries where they may have been prepared days go.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27781 posts
13379 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: The chicken eaten in developing countries is generally lot fresher than in developed countries where they may have been prepared days go.
Is it actually?

Then again... I look at Loblaws in a country with modern refrigeration and I think that answers my questions.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6647 posts
2990 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
death_hawk wrote: Is it actually?

Then again... I look at Loblaws in a country with modern refrigeration and I think that answers my questions.
In a lot of underdeveloped countries, the chicken that's eaten was usually live earlier in the day. It's when the country starts developing and the supermarket model comes into vogue.....
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China