Entertainment

Anyone watch AMC TV? Updated: Rogers now keeping AMC...will Bell?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2020 2:42 pm
14 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
11896 posts
3806 upvotes
Toronto
I got the email but didn't realize it was fundamental exclusion as opposed to moving to a pricier tier
There seems to be channel drops in US all the time and some later reconciliation after channel blackouts on the carrier side
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 12, 2005
9272 posts
1474 upvotes
Victoria
jenviea wrote: I got the email but didn't realize it was fundamental exclusion as opposed to moving to a pricier tier
There seems to be channel drops in US all the time and some later reconciliation after channel blackouts on the carrier side
It's all about negotiating the carriage fee. Carriage fee's (the cost of licensing the right to broadcast the channel) have skyrocketed over the last 10 - 20 years. It's a major reason cable TV got so expense. Threatening blackouts is the cableco attempt at aggressive negotiation tactics :)
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
3616 posts
1045 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
AMC stands for American Movie Classics, so much for being true to your name, since when is Fear of The Walking Dead considered a classic? its a brand spanking new show, they need to show classic movies only, none of this deviating from your CRTC licence
Hi
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
10095 posts
6515 upvotes
GTA, ON
I rarely watch AMC anymore. I tuned in for the early seasons of TWD, even watched a couple of their other original programming (Into the Badlands & the Terror), but generally speaking, AMC as a channel doesn't offer much, unless you enjoy watching Independence Day & Jurassic Park played over and over endlessly. The cable station itself is not worth paying for. I'll take it because it's part of my Rogers pkg, but I wouldn't go out of the way to subscribe for it alone. AMC needs to reevaluate their worth because frankly I don't think they're worth that much.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 12, 2005
9272 posts
1474 upvotes
Victoria
Which is a shame because they looked really promising for a while. Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Halt & Catch Fire, Into the Badlands, and Hell on Wheels. Now it's the walking dead (which feels like it's dragged on too long), and Better Call Saul.

With such limited shows do they still have the pull to ask for crazy high carriage fees?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
10095 posts
6515 upvotes
GTA, ON
zod wrote: Which is a shame because they looked really promising for a while. Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Halt & Catch Fire, Into the Badlands, and Hell on Wheels. Now it's the walking dead (which feels like it's dragged on too long), and Better Call Saul.

With such limited shows do they still have the pull to ask for crazy high carriage fees?
That's what I mean. Maybe when they pulled this stunt back in 2013 with Rogers for the same thing, but that was at AMCs height IMO... But now, what clout do they still have? The just have TWD which should have wrapped bc the story has dragged on too long, also their spinoff FTWD, and now another TWD spinoff.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
15447 posts
3135 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: AMC stands for American Movie Classics, so much for being true to your name, since when is Fear of The Walking Dead considered a classic? its a brand spanking new show, they need to show classic movies only, none of this deviating from your CRTC licence
Agreed. At least they're actually showing original black and white classic 3 stooges instead of showing the modern day 2012 movie version.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
15447 posts
3135 upvotes
Toronto
HenriR12436 wrote: So no more walking dead on bell ??
I wonder what's up with that.
They just recently went through all the trouble of changing a bunch of channels that they own to include the name "CTV" in the name of the Channel.
Isn't Space now CTV SYFY? That would be a better home for the show if they can still hold Canadian rights to the program...
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
11896 posts
3806 upvotes
Toronto
Heh

Nobody told Canada.com 'cause just noticed their TV listings do not have AMC anywhere
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 11, 2008
3360 posts
578 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
Is this still a go? Bell dropping amc?
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Jr. Member
Jun 4, 2016
196 posts
51 upvotes
Called them yesterday and they told me they are still. Negotiating.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 25, 2014
2731 posts
928 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Bell is dropping it starting Feb 1st. I got the message in my account

Top