[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
2824 posts
944 upvotes
Thornhill

anyone watched Cowspiracy?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3302820/

came out last year, have not heard about it till now.

i am planning on making the steps on going vegan, or the very least research further into this topic.
any thoughts? i have not known about these facts that Agriculture is the leading cause of basically everything; who has known?
14 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28429 posts
13977 upvotes
Probably a bunch of bull plop like most of these "documentaries" in this category.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2011
2145 posts
859 upvotes
Edmonton
death_hawk wrote: Probably a bunch of bull plop like most of these "documentaries" in this category.
I would suspect the same. Most of these sort of movies are built upon a couple of truths and then stretch it as far as it will go to reach the conclusions they want to hit on.

This one comes out swinging, though, not only with a bovine twist on the word conspiracy but then a subtitle suggesting there's a secret to sustainability that says, if we only followed it, everything would be 100% okay again. I expect it follows thoughts very similar to other movies like Vegucated and Food Inc, etc.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28429 posts
13977 upvotes
Yeah I remember watching Food Inc and at the end of it I was like "wtf did I just watch"?

I'm not saying our food supply is 100% awesome but these scarumentaries take one isolated incident somewhere and blow it WAY out of proportion.
If you really want to "help", find local, ethical, sustainable, seasonal foods. I don't mean the hipster feel good type foods that are trendy but rather something that was grown/raised within a couple hundred KM of where you are.
Cutting down on meat is good, but going straight vegan to me is completely idiotic. Even vegetarian is a pretty big stretch.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
4680 posts
3606 upvotes
Bencherstyle wrote:

i am planning on making the steps on going vegan, or the very least research further into this topic.
any thoughts?
I'm not vegan or vegetarian, but I do occasionally look at their books from the library and internet blogs to get ideas in order to add more plant based foods to my own diet. It will help a lot if you're already a great cook with some creativity to go along with it. I'm neither, but when you try new recipes you'll find that some can be quite tasty and probably stay within your new lifestyle, while others are a big fail. From what I've read the only nutrient you'll be short off if you stay on a vegan diet will be vitamin B12, so you may want to consult with your doctor on this.
May 28, 2012
11694 posts
4235 upvotes
Saskatoon
I think a person should make up their own minds about what they want to eat, taking into consideration personal preferences and such. So many people follow food fads, i.e gluten-free, dairy-free, carb-free, you name it...there are people with legitimate food intolerances, but not as many as claiming to be on these diets.

It's probably a good idea to eat less meat and to increase the vegetables and fruits...I can't ever see myself going vegetarian though. And vegan is absolutely crazy, imo...then there's the decision whether to eat organic or not...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28429 posts
13977 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: So many people follow food fads, i.e gluten-free, dairy-free, carb-free, you name it...there are people with legitimate food intolerances, but not as many as claiming to be on these diets.
See, I wonder if this is actually a bad thing. Imagine having a gluten intolerance 10 years ago. Because of these idiots riding the bandwagon, people that are actually intolerant are getting real food options instead of distilled water.

But I think you have to draw the line somewhere. I saw a picture on reddit where a chef was handed a card with allergies on it. While this is a great idea (so one can make sure you don't get any of it), this person had "sugars ending in -ose" on it.
The TL;DR is that the only thing you'd get from me is distilled water since EVERYTHING contains or will break down to a sugar ending in -ose.
It's probably a good idea to eat less meat and to increase the vegetables and fruits...I can't ever see myself going vegetarian though. And vegan is absolutely crazy, imo...
Everyone needs more fruits and vegetables. It's just a good idea. Especially if you're trying to survive on $43 a month.
But to go completely vegetarian? Yeah that's not happening. I like my steaks too much. Vegan isn't an option. I'm not giving up eggs and dairy if I lose out on meat once in a while.
Plus ice cream.
then there's the decision whether to eat organic or not...
That one is easy for me. Does it cost the same as non-organic?
If yes, then buy it. If no, then don't buy it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
2824 posts
944 upvotes
Thornhill
i`ve watched food inc, forks over knives, the suger is the new crack one and came out disappointed, like you guys;
but i really liked this one, its not really about our eating habits and how we can me more healthy, but more so about the enviroment and the effects of agriculture.

give it a shot, i don`t think i would put this along the rest which seems like such isolated cases at times.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28429 posts
13977 upvotes
Bencherstyle wrote: but more so about the enviroment and the effects of agriculture.
I already know how agriculture (especially mass agriculture) affects the environment.
But beef is too delicious to avoid so I probably won't be cutting down.
If anything it'll probably be increasing now that I have my dry aging fridge set up and a chamber sealer.
I've eaten so much beef (and veal) in the last couple months it's kind of ridiculous.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2011
3049 posts
631 upvotes
Why live life if you are going to punish yourself? I love meat! If it is going to be the cause of my death, so be it.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19519 posts
2234 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
After shpersizeme I stopped eating fast food for a while. I don't eat it a lot but I still eat it.

I don't think eating meatless diet would be very good.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28429 posts
13977 upvotes
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ZyScpxL.jpg[/IMG]

Yeah it's not happening.
Crap. I want another one of those now and I'm out of them.
I have a little 12oz 45 day dry age in the circulator now but that won't quite do it. I should chuck a 2nd one in.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
2824 posts
944 upvotes
Thornhill
wal3145 wrote: Why live life if you are going to punish yourself? I love meat! If it is going to be the cause of my death, so be it.
it won`t be just the cause of your death, but the planet`s as well. i love meat too - its not about animal cruelty or meat is murder etc,
but i really do wonder if nature and the places i've been to will still be here for the next generation to explore :/

and keep the photos of meat coming :D :D :D

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)