Cell Phones

Anyway to change SIM on a MB $50 5GB plan with out of province number?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2015 10:50 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Member
Sep 8, 2010
383 posts
123 upvotes
Chambly

Anyway to change SIM on a MB $50 5GB plan with out of province number?

Is there anyway to change your sim card if you have a MB $50 5GB plan with an ontario number? I am experiencing one bar while my wife has 5 bars on the exact same phone model. She is on a ontario plan and I am on MB plan. Wondering if anything to do that I have a MB plan with an out of province number.

Fido support suggested it was sim card which makes sense because when i switched my SIM into my wife's phone she started getting the same, but when I called in to swap SIM after going to buy a new one, they told me I would have to change my plan before they could do it.


Any ideas?
26 replies
Sr. Member
User avatar
Mar 27, 2012
811 posts
249 upvotes
Ontario
mcu wrote: Is there anyway to change your sim card if you have a MB $50 5GB plan with an ontario number? I am experiencing one bar while my wife has 5 bars on the exact same phone model. She is on a ontario plan and I am on MB plan. Wondering if anything to do that I have a MB plan with an out of province number.

Fido support suggested it was sim card which makes sense because when i switched my SIM into my wife's phone she started getting the same, but when I called in to swap SIM after going to buy a new one, they told me I would have to change my plan before they could do it.


Any ideas?
The having to change plans sounds like bull*****. I remember on Pay As You go I was able to change SIMs on the website. Maybe try looking around the website. I'm able to change it via website but I'm with WIND

If not maybe tell them your phone was lost and you just bought a new phone and have a new sim now?
[OP]
Member
Sep 8, 2010
383 posts
123 upvotes
Chambly
Bruce.W wrote: The having to change plans sounds like bull*****. I remember on Pay As You go I was able to change SIMs on the website. Maybe try looking around the website. I'm able to change it via website but I'm with WIND

If not maybe tell them your phone was lost and you just bought a new phone and have a new sim now?
They aré saying that I need to go onto a plan from my province...that the system will not let them. Wondering how true that is not anyway around that?
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2740 posts
888 upvotes
GTA
Keigotw wrote: Fido doesn't have online option to swap SIM
really have to call in
I recall changing my brothers sim online for fido.
[OP]
Member
Sep 8, 2010
383 posts
123 upvotes
Chambly
You can do it online with Fido, but the issue here is the out of province plan that is supposedly blocking it
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38220 posts
24396 upvotes
Center of Universe
mcu wrote: Is there anyway to change your sim card if you have a MB $50 5GB plan with an ontario number? I am experiencing one bar while my wife has 5 bars on the exact same phone model. She is on a ontario plan and I am on MB plan. Wondering if anything to do that I have a MB plan with an out of province number.

Fido support suggested it was sim card which makes sense because when i switched my SIM into my wife's phone she started getting the same, but when I called in to swap SIM after going to buy a new one, they told me I would have to change my plan before they could do it.


Any ideas?
You called Fido for support on a MB plan?
[OP]
Member
Sep 8, 2010
383 posts
123 upvotes
Chambly
vkizzle wrote: You called Fido for support on a MB plan?
I called them to do the Sim change and they told me you have a MB plan with out of province number. They said the system would not allow them to make the s change unless I changed my plan to one of my province or changed the number on my MB plan to one of Manitoba. Just wondering if this is really true or justa way to make me switch plans
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto
^ Most likely not true, the employee is probably just being vengeful and looking for a way to get you off the plan. OP, what issue did you come across when doing it online? Also, how did you get the MB plan? Did a rep offer it to you? If it's causing this much hassle, maybe contact CCTS or just port to Koodo like everyone else seems to be doing lol?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 5, 2013
6075 posts
1861 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
mcu wrote: Is there anyway to change your sim card if you have a MB $50 5GB plan with an ontario number? I am experiencing one bar while my wife has 5 bars on the exact same phone model. She is on a ontario plan and I am on MB plan. Wondering if anything to do that I have a MB plan with an out of province number.

Fido support suggested it was sim card which makes sense because when i switched my SIM into my wife's phone she started getting the same, but when I called in to swap SIM after going to buy a new one, they told me I would have to change my plan before they could do it.


Any ideas?
Are you in ON? or MB?
FreedomMobile 35% Friends & Family
[OP]
Member
Sep 8, 2010
383 posts
123 upvotes
Chambly
LostInTruth wrote: ^ Most likely not true, the employee is probably just being vengeful and looking for a way to get you off the plan. OP, what issue did you come across when doing it online? Also, how did you get the MB plan? Did a rep offer it to you? If it's causing this much hassle, maybe contact CCTS or just port to Koodo like everyone else seems to be doing lol?
Believe it or not, a Fido employee offered it to me. Not a 3rd party store/dealer. I picked up a LG G3 so tied in for 2 years unless I pay off the full price of the device. Koodo reception sucks in my area.
[OP]
Member
Sep 8, 2010
383 posts
123 upvotes
Chambly
d1ulove3 wrote: Are you in ON? or MB?
not in Manitoba...this is what they are saying the problem is. Well not that I am not in Manitoba, but that I have a non-Manitoba number on a Manitoba plan
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto
mcu wrote: Believe it or not, a Fido employee offered it to me. Not a 3rd party store/dealer. I picked up a LG G3 so tied in for 2 years unless I pay off the full price of the device. Koodo reception sucks in my area.
If a Fido employee offered it to you, then it should be honoured I think. They can do it, but are refusing to do so. Are they offering you a same plan of equivalent value as they and yourself are unable to change the phone you purchased without subsidy? I think escalating this concern would be worthwhile, and if not satisfied then file a CCTS to see what they say.
[OP]
Member
Sep 8, 2010
383 posts
123 upvotes
Chambly
LostInTruth wrote: If a Fido employee offered it to you, then it should be honoured I think. They can do it, but are refusing to do so. Are they offering you a same plan of equivalent value as they and yourself are unable to change the phone you purchased without subsidy? I think escalating this concern would be worthwhile, and if not satisfied then file a CCTS to see what they say.
Before trying to get nasty with he told me this and that, I wanted to see if there was a simple solution. I don't plan on making a SIM card change every day. Just happened now because seems like it's defective. With all this hassle, wondering if I should get a nano card with adapter instead, this way I can easily pick any phone I like in the future and not have to go through this again
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 20, 2012
728 posts
120 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
if you need to go through Fido CSR, they will make you change your plan if you have an out of province plan... also they will charge you... whereas, Koodo, its free and they dont seem to care...

If fido force you to change plan, worse comes to worse, just switch to the koodo version.. less hassle
Fido $45
Unlimited Canada Calling, Unlimited Global Texting/MMS, 5GB Data
Twilight 128GB Hauwei P20 Pro
[OP]
Member
Sep 8, 2010
383 posts
123 upvotes
Chambly
gd6noob wrote: if you need to go through Fido CSR, they will make you change your plan if you have an out of province plan... also they will charge you... whereas, Koodo, its free and they dont seem to care...

If fido force you to change plan, worse comes to worse, just switch to the koodo version.. less hassle
in that case though, wouldn't i be responsible for the balance of my device?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 12, 2007
18944 posts
6122 upvotes
London
Just tell them you go to school at University of Manitoba and you are home for the summer/ work term
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto
l69norm wrote: Just tell them you go to school at University of Manitoba and you are home for the summer/ work term
If they are really vengeful, they could look up his bills and see OP calling pattern...

Also his address is probably Toronto too

Top