Hot Deals

[APC] Back UPS PRO BR 1350VA, SineWave, 10 Outlets, 2 USB Charging Ports ($209.95)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2021 6:54 pm
[OP]
Nov 24, 2011
15 posts
41 upvotes
SAINTE-FOY

Back UPS PRO BR 1350VA, SineWave, 10 Outlets, 2 USB Charging Ports ($209.95)

Deal Link:
Price:
$209.95
Savings:
28%
Retailer:
APC
Was waiting for a drop in price. I've normally seen it at $242.00, now at $209.95. With shipping to Quebec City and taxes it totals $254.88.

Might be cheaper to price match with another place to get free shipping. I messaged NewEgg to see if they could match the price. Waiting on an answer...
67 replies
Apr 14, 2008
16 posts
5 upvotes
Burnaby
Yeah, get these from Costco. I've also had Costco swap them even 2 years after purchases when they've randomly died.
[OP]
Nov 24, 2011
15 posts
41 upvotes
SAINTE-FOY
This model has been recommended to me mainly because of the SineWave since I'm plugging that to a lot of home theatre gear. Don't ask me why it's better though!! :o
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2017
1893 posts
1344 upvotes
Should I get one of these for my new PS5? How much game time can I get out of it in a power outage? lol
Feb 14, 2006
584 posts
530 upvotes
Hammonds Plains
blirette wrote: This model has been recommended to me mainly because of the SineWave since I'm plugging that to a lot of home theatre gear. Don't ask me why it's better though!! :o
Generally UPS will only kick in and generate a shit sawwave in place of mains AC when below 85V or above 125V or something close to that. Otherwise it's just monitoring the mains AC feed. This don't filter the power. Most sinewave UPS actually regenerate the sine wave on board all the time, so there is no switchover it keeps making a pretty filtered sine wave. Most things especially home theatre equipment like that power consistency. It's why sinewave models usually start around $250 when premium large VA passive models top out there
May 23, 2008
825 posts
414 upvotes
Gtown ON
Ruciz wrote: Generally UPS will only kick in and generate a shit sawwave in place of mains AC when below 85V or above 125V or something close to that. Otherwise it's just monitoring the mains AC feed. This don't filter the power. Most sinewave UPS actually regenerate the sine wave on board all the time, so there is no switchover it keeps making a pretty filtered sine wave. Most things especially home theatre equipment like that power consistency. It's why sinewave models usually start around $250 when premium large VA passive models top out there
I would say "some" sinewave UPS regenerate the power all the time - they would be the on-line UPS. Unfortunately the one OP posted is line interactive - it only intervenes, as you say, if the mains is out of spec.
I am looking for a sinewave on-line UPS just to keep on standby for when I will need to run my furnace on the generator. The prices are quite high, still looking...
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2005
2004 posts
449 upvotes
This is a great price for a sinewave model. I picked up a similar used model (SUA1500) for $100 but had to replace the battery for another $110. Mine has slightly higher load capacity but the extra $40 after taxes+shipping it's definitely worth it for a new model.

I would've picked this up instead if I didn't have mine already. I'm currently on the hunt for a smaller unit for my home media setup (super low load).
May 5, 2008
156 posts
109 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks OP, been waiting patiently for months to replace a dead sinewave UPS.
May 5, 2008
156 posts
109 upvotes
Calgary
Ruciz wrote: Generally UPS will only kick in and generate a shit sawwave in place of mains AC when below 85V or above 125V or something close to that. Otherwise it's just monitoring the mains AC feed. This don't filter the power. Most sinewave UPS actually regenerate the sine wave on board all the time, so there is no switchover it keeps making a pretty filtered sine wave. Most things especially home theatre equipment like that power consistency. It's why sinewave models usually start around $250 when premium large VA passive models top out there
I think they usually sell that as automatic voltage regulator in current sales terminology. I had a really old APC that actively did that, can't remember the model.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2537 posts
2085 upvotes
Montreal, QC
shayne85 wrote: Should I get one of these for my new PS5? How much game time can I get out of it in a power outage? lol
A whopping 13 minutes if you are lucky, considering ps5 runs about 350w.
And that is not including your router, modem and TV if you are doing online gaming. now you are down to maybe 3 minutes due to TV :)

These smaller models are literally to avoid abrupt power outage, and brownouts (which are the biggest killers). They don't have long runtimes.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
1869 posts
2329 upvotes
GTA
BR model here: sinewave output (doesn't matter for most things, a few are fussy though), boost and trim AVR (maintains voltage if it is too low or high), 1350VA/810W, slightly shorter runtime (e.g. 27 minutes at 200W), normal APC warranty (3 year), $15+shipping more expensive
BN model at Costco: simulated/stepped output (most devices don't care), only boost AVR, 1500VA/900W, slightly longer runtime (e.g. 32 minutes at 200W), Costco guarantee (+ APC 3 year warranty), about $25 cheaper

Neither of these support additional external batteries for longer runtime (those models are all priced higher).

For most people Costco members, the Costco version is likely a better bet, just due to the Costco guarantee and a bit cheaper.
If your device needs sinewave (some computer PSUs do, as well as some AC motors), or trim AVR, the APC BR version is better.

For both, expect to need new batteries in about 4-5 years.
Last edited by karlb on Jan 26th, 2021 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 21, 2016
126 posts
127 upvotes
abbotsford
Forgive my brain, I’m having trouble understanding what to make of your comment.

Are you saying the product OP posted is good or bad?
Is it fine for most cases where someone just wants to protect against brown outs? Or would one need an “online” constant sine wave for that?

I’m wanting to power a projector. If there’s a brownout, (which there has been from time to time), it can strain the life of a bulb a lot. I’m in the market for a simple sine wave UPS to power just the projector to protect against those brownouts and to provide just like 1-2 minutes of power to shut it down if power goes.

Not looking for super high VA and wattage just for powering 1 item.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
1869 posts
2329 upvotes
GTA
gyggyg wrote: Forgive my brain, I’m having trouble understanding what to make of your comment.

Is it fine for most cases where someone just wants to protect against brown outs? Or would one need an “online” constant sine wave for that?

I’m wanting to power a projector. If there’s a brownout, (which there has been from time to time), it can strain the life of a bulb a lot. I’m in the market for a simple sine wave UPS to power just the projector to protect against those brownouts and to provide just like 1-2 minutes of power to shut it down if power goes.

The one the OP posted will protect against what you want. AVR = Automatic Voltage Regulation. Boost AVR = raise voltage during brownout. Trim AVR = lower voltage when too high.
If your projector does not need sine wave, the Costco one also provides Boost AVR for brownouts. If it needs sine wave, then pick the OP one.
I would recommend checking home theatre forums to see if your projector needs sine wave.
Nov 21, 2016
126 posts
127 upvotes
abbotsford
RaidZero wrote: I would say "some" sinewave UPS regenerate the power all the time - they would be the on-line UPS. Unfortunately the one OP posted is line interactive - it only intervenes, as you say, if the mains is out of spec.
I am looking for a sinewave on-line UPS just to keep on standby for when I will need to run my furnace on the generator. The prices are quite high, still looking...
Do you know how fast that switch over is in the line interactive ones?

Maybe I’m just not understanding the problem... Would it truly make a difference if the eventual power being produced is sine wave? Or is that potential delay between low voltage cutoff and activation of the UPS enough to be a problem?
Feb 14, 2006
584 posts
530 upvotes
Hammonds Plains
gyggyg wrote: Forgive my brain, I’m having trouble understanding what to make of your comment.

Sorry you'll have to forgive me as I provided bad information due to the unique marketing Schneider has used.

Why are you after a ups for a projector? I think you want one of these instead? Power conditioner, line conditioner, power filter they go by a few names. Tripplite makes some. Basically it's the ups without batteries.
https://www.tripplite.com/products/powe ... tioners~23

https://www.amazon.ca/Tripp-LC1800-Cond ... B0000514G8

I just am providing random links here, I don't know if these are good deals. please research if these work with your projector. To me a ups don't make sense.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
1869 posts
2329 upvotes
GTA
RaidZero wrote: I would say "some" sinewave UPS regenerate the power all the time - they would be the on-line UPS. Unfortunately the one OP posted is line interactive - it only intervenes, as you say, if the mains is out of spec.
gyggyg wrote: Do you know how fast that switch over is in the line interactive ones?

Maybe I’m just not understanding the problem... Would it truly make a difference if the eventual power being produced is sine wave? Or is that potential delay between low voltage cutoff and activation of the UPS enough to be a problem?
It's about 10ms for line interactive to kick in. Online is always on, so 0ms. I assume RaidZero's application cannot tolerate the 10ms, which is why he is looking for an online UPS.
Online will always be expensive, both to buy and run. They start around $700-1500 vs. $100-200 for a small line interactive (e.g. 1000VA). APC being the expensive ones.
They're more expensive because they need better components; everything is always powered and producing heat, all the time. A line interactive UPS is almost always idle, so it can be made cheaper.
Incoming AC is rectified to DC, fed to battery and to output inverter which converts back to AC. Everything is powered all the time and you have the efficiency loss of the double conversion (figure around 10% loss, this adds up).
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
1917 posts
1165 upvotes
Kitchener
RaidZero wrote:
I would say "some" sinewave UPS regenerate the power all the time - they would be the on-line UPS. Unfortunately the one OP posted is line interactive - it only intervenes, as you say, if the mains is out of spec.
Also just be aware depending on your generator, your UPS might see the power as too dirty and therefore it won't register any incoming power, and only run on the batteries. If you have an inverter generator then that's not an issue.

Not an inline but this is the one I use for a similar application, and when testing with my non inverter generator it wouldn't register power coming in. Inverter generator worked great.
Ruciz wrote:
Sorry you'll have to forgive me as I provided bad information due to the unique marketing Schneider has used.

Why are you after a ups for a projector? I think you want one of these instead? Power conditioner, line conditioner, power filter they go by a few names. Tripplite makes some. Basically it's the ups without batteries.
https://www.tripplite.com/products/powe ... tioners~23

https://www.amazon.ca/Tripp-LC1800-Cond ... B0000514G8

I just am providing random links here, I don't know if these are good deals. please research if these work with your projector. To me a ups don't make sense.
Depending on where you live and how stable your power is many ppl (me included) like to have a good UPS connected to projector to help cool it down if there is an outage while it's been running for sometime. Really helps protect the bulb bursting (or access wear and tear) and other components when the fans suddenly stop.
Last edited by keyser-soze on Jan 26th, 2021 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May 9, 2014
398 posts
139 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
blirette wrote: This model has been recommended to me mainly because of the SineWave since I'm plugging that to a lot of home theatre gear. Don't ask me why it's better though!! :o
this is not a true on-line sinewave model, it is same as the costco one. don't ask me why I know. I was previously a ups salesman.