Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1029 posts
167 upvotes

Apparently I have 5 years to live...

I'm here laying in my bed 4am in the morning wide awake with a fever. I'm 23 and have always thought to myself I wasn't going to live long. I work construction as a plumber, the lack of very little (next to none) nose hair and very poor sense of smell concerns me. I believe all the crap I inhale goes straight to my lungs. I found a study that states "Losing Your Sense of Smell May Predict Death Within Five Years"
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... smell.aspx

I haven't been to a doctor since I was like 18. But I plan on going this week for a check up. I would like to think I'm a healthy individual, I'm a fitness enthusiasts, in the gym at least 5 days a week. Anyone else have the same concerns as me?
16 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2006
1146 posts
146 upvotes
Calgary
Article also says you could be suffering from a zinc deficiency.
Apr 8, 2009
315 posts
70 upvotes
relax, you aint gonna to die,

1. very poor sense of smell is just a SERIOUS case of bacterial or viral infection in your air way;
2. lack of nose hair means you have MALNUTRITION___not absorbing protein.

in both cases
it can be trace to your job in which you are in constant contact with bacteria and virii environment almost daily.
bad bacteria and virii are currently occupying your air way and digestive track
resulting the above 2 condition.

treatment:

probiotics ---- like " kefir " will help you lack of hair problem,
oral probiotics for mouth and throat.

hope this help.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2005
1062 posts
62 upvotes
Downtown TO
See what your doc says first. They'll do some tests. You should be getting annual checkups when you work around hazardous materials. Best of luck.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19396 posts
17864 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
You better go see a doctor. Regular checkups are very important. Believe me.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22335 posts
2980 upvotes
Please go see doctor.
Suicide is not the answer
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2715 posts
968 upvotes
Yellowknife
gotrice wrote: I'm here laying in my bed 4am in the morning wide awake with a fever. I'm 23 and have always thought to myself I wasn't going to live long. I work construction as a plumber, the lack of very little (next to none) nose hair and very poor sense of smell concerns me. I believe all the crap I inhale goes straight to my lungs. I found a study that states "Losing Your Sense of Smell May Predict Death Within Five Years"

I haven't been to a doctor since I was like 18. But I plan on going this week for a check up. I would like to think I'm a healthy individual, I'm a fitness enthusiasts, in the gym at least 5 days a week. Anyone else have the same concerns as me?
Just go into a walk in clinic today or this evening.
Can you wear a mask while working?
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
17008 posts
12408 upvotes
Toronto
self diagnosing based on the internets.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
gotrice wrote: I'm here laying in my bed 4am in the morning wide awake with a fever. I'm 23 and have always thought to myself I wasn't going to live long. I work construction as a plumber, the lack of very little (next to none) nose hair and very poor sense of smell concerns me. I believe all the crap I inhale goes straight to my lungs. I found a study that states "Losing Your Sense of Smell May Predict Death Within Five Years"

fever = viral infection or common cold or allergies.
very poor sense = very common.
very poor sense of smell = also very common
inhale = by definition, yes it goes to lungs and not to the stomach.
May = might or might not. 50% chance all things being equal.

What else you got?
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2014
1255 posts
241 upvotes
Burrowborough
george__ wrote: Suicide is not the answer
Who said anything about suicide? Not the OP.

However if one truly knew they had only 5 years to live; I think it would be liberating. You could try the riskiest activities; spend money like a drunken sailor; tell people what you really think of them..
Feb 13, 2013
157 posts
79 upvotes
BC
I wouldn't believe anything I read on Mercola 's website. That guy is a quack if there ever was one.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
Milkman16 wrote: 1989-2015 - died by lack of nose hairs
R.I.P
may he find nose hair in heaven.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2001
8460 posts
1453 upvotes
Toronto
You probably use a lot of solvents at work. Make sure you're wearing a mask and that ventilation is as good as possible.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
26900 posts
6133 upvotes
yesstyle wrote: can't rule out cancer either...

lol...self-diagnosis reminds me of this: [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/fFgFAqf.jpg[/IMG]
So true. Google any symptom of any disease/virus/ailment and cancer will come up. OP, I don't know what if anything is wrong with you, but it's clear you are suffering from anxiety. The fact that you don't think you'll live long is absolutely anxiety. You need to treat that first. Get a checkup, but chances are your doctor won't do much during this checkup considering you're 23 and otherwise in good health. He's not going to give you a chest Xray just to rule out lung cancer when you have no symptoms.
May 28, 2012
12041 posts
4662 upvotes
Saskatoon
One of my friends had a summer job at an asphalt plant and she lost her sense of smell from working there...it's been well over 20 years, so I'm guessing it's permanent - and she is in perfect health otherwise. Get a medical checkup and don't believe everything you read on the internet.