Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Apple

2017 13" MacBook Pros Refurb. now available

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2017 10:37 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
6209 posts
3028 upvotes
Toronto

[Apple] 2017 13" MacBook Pros Refurb. now available

The Apple refurb store now has the 2017 13" MacBook Pros available (with and without touchbar). They also occasionally will have 2016 13" MBPs available at a lower cost than in the past. Various models, so make sure you compare with the retail before purchasing, but discounts are anywhere from $350 plus from new. Apple refurbs are practically brand new, come with one year warranty and are eligible for AppleCare.

Example:
Base touchbar model, New: $2400 Refurb: $2039

Alternatively, you can purchase via their edu channel at a reduced (Base $2259) and get a free pair of Beats Solo3s ($320 value), but don't think you'll be able to sell them for much more than $200.
This is the second touchbar iteration and seems to have solved a bunch of the first generation problems (as usual).
16 replies
Deal Addict
May 24, 2011
1820 posts
700 upvotes
Canada
hmm...no non-touch bar models? Or did they sell out?
==
Telus iPhone 11 Pro
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2009
1432 posts
1394 upvotes
Toronto
Didn't they remove most of the ports from the 2017 model? To some people this might be a reason to look for an older refurbished MacBook Pro (2015-16 ?)
Dec 27, 2012
67 posts
46 upvotes
Ottawa
Dontw forget 2% cash back from Ebates. Last month I bought a refurb macbook pro and received almost 50 dollars cash back from Ebates.
Dec 27, 2012
67 posts
46 upvotes
Ottawa
Depends on your need. I personally liked it and found it useful.
Jun 14, 2011
326 posts
291 upvotes
Toronto
milhaus wrote: Alternatively, you can purchase via their edu channel at a reduced (Base $2259) and get a free pair of Beats Solo3s ($320 value), but don't think you'll be able to sell them for much more than $200.
Is there any way to upgrade the Beats (for example to Bose QC35s or even 25s, or Beats Studio)? I have the beats from this deal but I can't stand supra-aural headphones and the sound reviews aren't too great so I haven't even opened them. But that "$320 value" is $360 to buy at a store after tax, so to dump it for $200 to spend on other over $300+tax headphones isn't worth it.

I tried to get Apple to let me upgrade to the Studios or QC35s but they wouldn't allow it. Which surprised me because it's more money and profit for them.

I'd be tempted to try and do a no receipt exchange at best buy, but they're obviously going to know where the headphones came from.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2248 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
john.canad wrote: Are the touch bars even worth it?
Not on the 13 inch. On the 13 inch, you'll see a battery life reduction from using the touch bar. On the 15 inch, with its bigger battery, the battery life hit is much more tolerable.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
2308 posts
2725 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
john.canad wrote: Are the touch bars even worth it?
13'' models without touchbar only have 2 type c ports. so if you want 4 ports, you'll have to opt into the touch bar version...
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2538 posts
5693 upvotes
Markham
Oracle1729 wrote: Is there any way to upgrade the Beats (for example to Bose QC35s or even 25s, or Beats Studio)? I have the beats from this deal but I can't stand supra-aural headphones and the sound reviews aren't too great so I haven't even opened them. But that "$320 value" is $360 to buy at a store after tax, so to dump it for $200 to spend on other over $300+tax headphones isn't worth it.

I tried to get Apple to let me upgrade to the Studios or QC35s but they wouldn't allow it. Which surprised me because it's more money and profit for them.

I'd be tempted to try and do a no receipt exchange at best buy, but they're obviously going to know where the headphones came from.
That's not how it works. Apple owns Beats, and those Solo 3s probably cost $10-20 to manufacture. Everything else is pure profit. QC35s are made by Bose, and generally retailers get about half of the retail price, so they would actually make less profit (and it wouldn't help them move inventory and make their financials look better) if they allowed you to trade up for the QC35s.
Jun 14, 2011
326 posts
291 upvotes
Toronto
Dave510 wrote: That's not how it works. Apple owns Beats, and those Solo 3s probably cost $10-20 to manufacture. Everything else is pure profit. QC35s are made by Bose, and generally retailers get about half of the retail price, so they would actually make less profit (and it wouldn't help them move inventory and make their financials look better) if they allowed you to trade up for the QC35s.
True, but I still would have paid $80 more for the Beats Studios because I can at least use those and they only cost Apple a few cents more to make. They wouldn't go for that either. Not to mention that no matter what I do with these (sell them, give them as a gift, etc), it's one less sale for Apple somewhere down the line.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
2995 posts
413 upvotes
Toronto
Sazzad wrote: Dontw forget 2% cash back from Ebates. Last month I bought a refurb macbook pro and received almost 50 dollars cash back from Ebates.
Is the cash back on the pre or after-tax price?
Aug 29, 2010
215 posts
410 upvotes
The processors on the touchbar MBPs are faster, so the increase in price over the non-touchbar isn't just for the touchbar, but better performance.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10644 posts
7234 upvotes
2Sedins1Cup wrote: hmm...no non-touch bar models? Or did they sell out?
I'm thinking that it "might" be because the touch-bar models are what people return, and prefer holding onto the non-touch-bar models.
Aug 29, 2009
669 posts
364 upvotes
Toronto
Having a 13" MBP with touchbar, I have to say my ideal setup would have been ntb, 16gb ram, 4tb3 ports. If I didn't score such a good deal on Kijiji for a sealed one, I would have opted for that. Having only 8GB of ram worries me a bit thinking a few years down the line.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)